Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
narooma99

new bike

Hi i am an RBK amputee of 9 monthes i decided to take up bike riding as its agood way to get around so i jumped on a regular road bike and began to pedal only to discover that my proethetic leg cant flex enough to let the crank go around so i raised the seat so that i was way up in the air and now my prosthetic foot cant reach the crank when its at the bottom due to the fact that it cant flex downwards no matter where i put the seat i have at least one of the two problems as well as being really high above the bike.

I am not really interested in pedling for miles i just want a bike to get around on so i am thinking of geting a fould up bike and getting the cranks shortened so i can peddle properly after reading this forum i want the knee savers as well i have a fairly short stump so cutting the trim lines down is not an option any ideas or options would be greatly appreciated frrom those that have been there and done that.

Hello Narooma.

Oneblueleg's link to Rikk is fine, no problems, as long as you are choosing to modify your LEG as much as your BIKE.

I prefer to modify my BIKE as much as I can, so that I can ride off using my 'usual' leg, get off, walk, get back on, and ride home.

My system is set out here:

http://amputeecycling.blogspot.com/

Which road you take depends on your personal circumstances (age, fitness, and so on), and whether you see cycling as a competitive sporting activity or just a way of getting around. I tend towards the latter!

Allen, bka, London.

Oneblueleg's link to Rikk is fine, no problems, as long as you are choosing to modify your LEG as much as your BIKE.

Errrr... Rikk isn't competitive, he just enjoys bikes... I think there's plenty to take from his post for everyone.

Nice blog btw Mr Grumpy tongue.gif I like you Allen