Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Hema2010

Hello! Newbie here..

Hi,

I'm Hema Subhash, from Bangalore, India. I am a new amputee and my fiance introduced me to the Heather mills amputee forum. I am an LAK, and I met with an accident when I was coming back from work one day. It happened when I was getting down from the bus that I was traveling in and the bus driver started the vehicle before I could get out, and thus the bus's rear wheels ran over my left leg..instantly crushing my knee and leaving my bones and muscles exposed. The next day after a failed angioplasty, the amputation was done above knee.

People around me are telling me that I have been taking it well, although I do feel sad and I miss my leg at times, but have realized that it is pointless to suffer mourning the loss of my leg. I'm trying to look forward to getting the prosthesis. I have a large graft area on my stump and that's my main cause of concern...Hope to talk to many others who have gone through similar experiences and share my experiences with newbies.

Hi, Hema, and welcome to the forum. Sorry you "have" to be here, but I'm glad that you found us!

It's really not unusual to "mourn" the loss of a limb...it was a part of you, and you were planning on keeping it around! There is a period of grief that follows any loss...even the loss of a part of yourself. I was an elective amputee...I chose to lose my left leg below-knee because of some longstanding medical problems. I was happy to see it go, as I was hoping this would be a chance for me to get on with my life...but I still mourned its loss.

I actually held an imaginary funeral for my leg...and I think that really helped me to get over the grief and move on. (My leg had a Viking funeral in my head...I pictured it on a Viking ship, flames burning, floating off into the sunset while horns were playing, flags were flying, and songs were sung about its long and courageous service!) After that, I got on with the business of recovering.

We have an active AK community here, and several members who are dealing with skin graft issues, so I'm sure you'll be getting some good advice!

Hi Hema, welcome to the forum.

Hi Hema

I just went past my first year after my RAK amp. have just got my definitive leg. You will have days you think about it, but they get fewer and fewer for me.

Welcome to the forum, they are a very good group of people here.

Jim Wolf

Hi, Hema, and welcome to the forum. Sorry you "have" to be here, but I'm glad that you found us!

It's really not unusual to "mourn" the loss of a limb...it was a part of you, and you were planning on keeping it around! There is a period of grief that follows any loss...even the loss of a part of yourself. I was an elective amputee...I chose to lose my left leg below-knee because of some longstanding medical problems. I was happy to see it go, as I was hoping this would be a chance for me to get on with my life...but I still mourned its loss.

I actually held an imaginary funeral for my leg...and I think that really helped me to get over the grief and move on. (My leg had a Viking funeral in my head...I pictured it on a Viking ship, flames burning, floating off into the sunset while horns were playing, flags were flying, and songs were sung about its long and courageous service!) After that, I got on with the business of recovering.

We have an active AK community here, and several members who are dealing with skin graft issues, so I'm sure you'll be getting some good advice!

Thanks for your reply Cheryl, I think it's very important to look ahead and move on with life. A good thing that the accident has done to me is that, it has reminded me of the fact that life as we know it can be no more, any moment, and that its important to live life happily and not fret and worry about things too much :)

Hi Hema, welcome to the forum.

Thank you :)

Hi Hema

I just went past my first year after my RAK amp. have just got my definitive leg. You will have days you think about it, but they get fewer and fewer for me.

Jim Wolf

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Do you mind tell me which leg you have, meaning which knee joint and foot? How has the first year been, I've heard that the first year is usually the roughest. Hope you are doing great now!

Hema

Welcome to the forum. Take your time. Heal both mentally and physically. Things get a lot better with time.

'Hema2010'Welcome...these people can help you so much. Nothing is too small to ask about. :happy:

Hi Hema

Jim Wolf

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Do you mind tell me which leg you have, meaning which knee joint and foot? How has the first year been, I've heard that the first year is usually the roughest. Hope you are doing great now!

Hema

Hema

I just got the Rheo Knee with the Ossur Vari-Flex with EVO foot. The first year was alot of learning, I rehab at Moss Rehab Hospital in Philadelphia. They were very good at pain control and therapy. Comfort of the leg was the biggest issue with me, still making adjustment's at this time. Keep in touch.

Jim

Hi Hema,

Welcome to the forum--glad you found us so soon. There are great people here that are willing to be a listening ear and offer help you need.

Peace, Beth Marie

Hi Hema,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have a strong positive attitude to all this, take things slowly and heal well.

Lynne