Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mick

O no ! not another question from him again

:rolleyes: Hello everyone,

Yet again I have got a question for you all, its mainly targeted at any dbk amputees amongst us but I will be more than happy to get any help from anyone.

Right, What I am after is some sort of portable seat that is suitable for a dbk amputee.

It must be :-

Stable when up

Light weight

Fit into a rucksack

And quick and simple to put up.

WHY?

On one of my recent walks I was accompanied by a double below knee amputee. (I wont give any more details on here).

Sitting on the ground for a rest was not a problem at the start of the walk, but the amount of energy it took for him/her to get up again was staggering, and towards the end I could see that it was a struggle to get up again. (Something that I will try to avoid next time)

So I was wondering

a) Would it help if he/she sat on a stool?

b) Are there any on the market that you would recommended

c) What methods do you use to get up from flat ground?

I know its easy to say dont stop unless there is something to sit on but sometimes thats just not possible.

Thanks in advance ……………………Mick

Well, I'm not a DBK...but it can be a problem for me to get up off the ground if I'm tired out. I just kind of struggle around until I "make it work," but I can see where that could be a problem for a bilat.

I had a friend (who was NOT an amputee, but who had some pretty serious mobility issues) who walked with a cane that actually had a built-in seat. It folded out to be a three-legged stool with a small seat...when it was folded back up, the seat and two of the legs were raised up and flattened out against the "main" part of the cane. He really liked it...don't know how practical it might be for a hiker, though....

Hope you get some good input from some bilats, Mick!

Hi Mick

I am a bilateral b/k ... just reading your posting and trying to think about how I get up from sitting on the ground.

I don't have too much trouble getting up from the ground, and not something I tend to think about, but have had to adapt it slightly since I have been wearing a liner on one of my legs (which hinders bending the knee), so depending on his/her set up with their legs, imagine its going to be different.

Anyhow, having just sat on the floor and got up again (to check what I do)... this is what I think I do, most of the time if there is nothing around to lean on etc.

From the sitting position I sort of turn on to my best side (which is my right)so my right knee is kind of bent, but I am not kneeling on the floor, my arms/hands are swung over to this side too and my hands are almost flat on the floor, then using my hands and my legs I push up from the floor.

Hope this makes sense, I probably do things slightly different at different times, and at the moment I have problems with my left leg so might not be doing exactly the same as usual.

What would take me more energy would be actually having to carry something that I wanted to sit on, and remember the walking itself is going to take more energy from a bilateral amp than it would from a single amp .... so that might also impact on the energy needed to get up from the ground.

Ann

Hi Mick, I'm the same as Ann, never had a problem getting up off the ground. I used to start by getting onto my knees and then using my stick got up to my feet. After a bit of time I was able to get up without the stick. As Ann has stated your bilat might need to find their own method as arty leg fittings are different for everyone and will affect how they can bend and use their knees. I did try carrying a low collapsible stool but it was harder getting up from that.

This is what I have for golf tournaments.

Cheap, super light and rolls up to the size of a newspaper.

http://archerystation.com/IVG2/N/ProductID-138290.htm

Hope this helps. Just google 3 legged golf chair and you will find plenty on the net. This one is $19.00 U.S.

Thanks every one,

Eh still working on this.

It Was like I wrote this person didn’t have a problem getting up ……..Till the end of the day when I think I took the person just that little bit to far out of there comfort zone.

Just trying to find something to make it a bit easer that’s all.

I know that as a single leg amputee, I found that low level stools where no good in fact I found that they made things worse.

As pointed out Mr. Google will bring up thousands of them, but from my own experience some of them are so flimsy they just don’t do the job.

I have been talking to the person concerned about it before our next walk, and think something like this might be the answer:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superior-Alloy-Event-Shooting-Leather/dp/B002WIM236/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1272855270&sr=1-1

The reason being it’s a lot higher, you don’t actually sit on it more like lean on it but it will take most of the weight.

And from what I being told because you are still “standing” upright there is no struggle to get up.

And lastly

Because you are not on the ground you don’t have to worry about getting wet and muddy

So what do you think?

Good or bad?

…………….Mick (Now wanders off still looking for all the answers about life)

Not sure about the product you have Googled Mick. As I said before, carrying something like this for me would cause more of a problem, so I'd opt for stting on the ground or wherever ... and if it was wet and muddy ... I'd probably not be walking there. (yep ... call me unadventurous !!)

If the person you are talking about didn't have a problem 'until the end of the day', then they probably were just out of energy .... it takes more energy to walk bilaterally.

Thanks Anne,

I think what you say is correct about the low energy / end of the day bit, so will leave it at that, the person concerned has been back in contact and wants to go back out again this weekend, and wants to about five miles, so looks like a good walk for Sunday is in the making, and have been out and brought themselves a set of hiking poles so that should make a difference.

I hear what you are saying about carrying stuff, however We do disappear into the middle of nowhere so if they want to go out with me there are some things that are a must have and they have to carry it, hence: - fit in or on a ruck sack.

This if correctly packed and fitted shouldn’t cause any problems. :wub:

Unfortunately in Northumberland it is always wet and muddy even in the middle of summer. :mad:

Take care ………………….mick

I think the poles will help tremendously. Less energy expended and better balance. Let us hear how it works out for him.

I think the poles will help tremendously. Less energy expended and better balance. Let us hear how it works out for him.

I might have got the wrong end of the stick, LOL, not difficult for me. But if you are talking about those Nordic walking poles, I thought you burnt more energy with them, than without them. Because over here people use them for exercise and burning calories.

Thanks Anne,

I think what you say is correct about the low energy / end of the day bit, so will leave it at that, the person concerned has been back in contact and wants to go back out again this weekend, and wants to about five miles, so looks like a good walk for Sunday is in the making, and have been out and brought themselves a set of hiking poles so that should make a difference.

I hear what you are saying about carrying stuff, however We do disappear into the middle of nowhere so if they want to go out with me there are some things that are a must have and they have to carry it, hence: - fit in or on a ruck sack.

This if correctly packed and fitted shouldn’t cause any problems. :wub:

Unfortunately in Northumberland it is always wet and muddy even in the middle of summer. :mad:

Take care ………………….mick

Five miles Mick. Thats a fair walk for a bilateral. Don't think I could make that.

Thanks Anne,

This if correctly packed and fitted shouldn't cause any problems. wub.gif

Unfortunately in Northumberland it is always wet and muddy even in the middle of summer. mad.gif

Take care ………………….mick

Five miles Mick. Thats a fair walk for a bilateral. Don't think I could make that.

That five miles would be like an eight/nine mile walk for me just because I'm a bilat and use more energy. Everything is trial and error, there isn't a wrong way only a way that suits you best. Maybe try and plan walks where there are suitable sized boulders to use as sitting/resting places.

Thanks Anne,

Unfortunately in Northumberland it is always wet and muddy even in the middle of summer. mad.gif

Take care ………………….mick

That five miles would be like an eight/nine mile walk for me just because I'm a bilat and use more energy. Everything is trial and error, there isn't a wrong way only a way that suits you best. Maybe try and plan walks where there are suitable sized boulders to use as sitting/resting places.

I quite like those 'resting places' Sparky. You sound like you have 'walked my walk' .

Thanks Anne,

Take care ………………….mick

I quite like those 'resting places' Sparky. You sound like you have 'walked my walk' .wink.gif

Ann, I'll have a go at anything however, I have always recognised my weaknesses when it comes to being a BBk amputee and planned accordingly. That way I didn't ruin the day by not being able to cope.

Thanks for all the feed back , it’s a hell of a learning curve , I try to plan for everything , so these days out go as smoothly as possible , and every one gets something from it. But I still have a lot to learn,

For this weekends walk I am already planning extra rest stops where there is boulders and tree trunks to sit on, but at the end of the day I can only plan with what info that I have been given from the person concerned.

It’s so much easer when you have been out with a person a few times so you know what there/ my abilities are.

Anne using Hiking poles do make a huge difference for us amputees that bit of support makes a big difference, This Nordic walking that you are on about is a good way to exercise but the techniques very different.

Personally because I am brain dead I don’t like using any poles, I have this strange idea that it is somehow cheating. (Yeah I’m stupid) but I always have them just in case. But in my own defense I find using them causes my left shoulder to start playing up. (It never really healed properly after my accident).

Anyway thanks again ………………….Mick

Just to keep you all in the picture, the walk went extremely well this weekend, just under 5 miles, no problems what’s so ever, the person whom I was concerned about used the hiking poles all the way, made a huge difference, in fact on the return journey I deliberately kept to the back and let them set the pace, and it was a cracking pace, every one had a good day out, lots learnt and most importantly every one very happy.

Only one thing ruined it, that was a cold strong wind, but you can’t have every thing.

Asked the person concerned about how they felt, reckoned the poles made a huge difference to there energy level, something that I agreed with as there was no sign of the tiredness that was shown on our last walk.

Had an e mail today, slept very well that night, but has got aching shoulders today, where the muscles got a good work out as well.

Looking forward to next day out.

Link to the walk we did:-

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=178

On a different note had a meeting with the big boss at the local limb centre(freeman) with regard to putting posters up advertising these days out walking , got a very favourable result BUT it has to go further up the line to get permission .(fingers crossed for good response)

Once again thanks for all your input………………Mick

Just to keep you all in the picture, the walk went extremely well this weekend, just under 5 miles, no problems what’s so ever, the person whom I was concerned about used the hiking poles all the way, made a huge difference, in fact on the return journey I deliberately kept to the back and let them set the pace, and it was a cracking pace, every one had a good day out, lots learnt and most importantly every one very happy.

Only one thing ruined it, that was a cold strong wind, but you can’t have every thing.

Asked the person concerned about how they felt, reckoned the poles made a huge difference to there energy level, something that I agreed with as there was no sign of the tiredness that was shown on our last walk.

Had an e mail today, slept very well that night, but has got aching shoulders today, where the muscles got a good work out as well.

Looking forward to next day out.

Link to the walk we did:-

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=178

On a different note had a meeting with the big boss at the local limb centre(freeman) with regard to putting posters up advertising these days out walking , got a very favourable result BUT it has to go further up the line to get permission .(fingers crossed for good response)

Once again thanks for all your input………………Mick

Mick,

Glad the walk went so well, was thinking about you.

I haven't forgotten about the stuff for the posters just been a bit side tracked with leg issues.

Glad the meeting went well, hope you get further permission.

I'll PM you when I have put something together.

Lynne

Thanks Lynne,

No need to rush, don’t think the limb centre is in any hurry to do anything, :happy:

Hope that you get leg sorted soon.

Mick