Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eb2phkingood

What foot do you wear? Best foot out to date? its been over a year sin

hey everyone, its me again! its been since august of last year since anyone asked about all the different feet out. Curious to see what everyone is walking on now and what is "thought" to be the best foot out now that is NOT computerized. i am interested in getting a foot that has a LOT of return and has a big kick off with each step to give me that calve muscle back that i am missing as a knee disartic. but also i want a foot that i can jog on if i ever choose to do so. so please let me know a little about yourself and what you prefer. and if you happen to know what is considered to be the best foot out to date feel free to share that info as well. thanks everyone!!!!

Click on the videos and despair. (Or start saving up. Or if you're in the UK, start badgering your limb-fitting dept.)

What a foot.

http://www.endolite.co.uk/Echelon_Foot/ech_exp.html

I've spoken to a couple of people who've got them. When I first saw a bloke at Stanmore walk with one, it really looked like a 'real' ankle/foot movement. He said that it had transformed his (walking) life.

Allen.

I've had this foot for just under a year now and I really like it.

can anyone tell me how much the foot costs

I believe the 'price' of the foot in the UK is around £3500. I put the quotation marks round it as it's all but impossible for an individual to buy one - but this is the sort of money that Blatchford's charge our National Health Service for each one they supply.

Personally, I don't think it's that expensive, considering the vast amount of research and development that's gone into it - and hopefully, like nearly all high-tech over the past decade or two, the price will eventually come right down (thinking of calculators, colour TVs, and so on).

Allen.

I have this foot, but I have to question if its what you are looking for. The foot really works well on inclines, and also compensates for uneven ground, but I think the trade off is that "kickoff" the toe you are looking for. I think you should test drive it first, and go from there.

I am bilateral below knee and I just got this foot a couple of months ago. We first tried it with my old foot on my left leg and the new Echelon foot on my right leg and I took off walking. What an amazing difference it is. It may be a little too much movement for some bilaterals, but I have tightened mine up a bit. I would think if you have only one leg involved, it would be no problem...well worth the money, an amazing foot.

I am using the Bio Quest perfect stride X3, and love it! I also had the Seattle Catalyst 9 and it was a little to stiff for everyday walking; for me anyways. As many have stated on here before you should try as many different feet as it take to find the right one for you. Who buys a car without a test drive? that's the argument i gave my first Leg Doc when she said she didn't believe in testing feet and thought i should stick with the one she recommended. I have a different Doc now and he recommends to try as many as you need. Good Luck

Interesting.

Madleggs - good idea, and probably valid in the US, but over here unless you're very rich or have private medical insurance, not a possibility.

The NHS* is a great institution, and I would defend it to the end (which might not be far off...) but you do tend to get 'issued' with things, like feet. Some prosthetic departments will listen to arguments, and do what they can to bend with the wind, but budget restraints obviously affect us.

100 amputees with 'standard' feet @ £500 each = £50,000.

100 amputees with Echelon-type feet @ £3500 each = £350,000.

(If my sums are right).

Allen.

(*NHS - National Health Service. We pay a health tax (called a National Insurance Contribution) out of our wages, and get (largely) free health care in return, plus other welfare provisions).

I've had this foot for just under a year now and I really like it.

I have also had this foot approximately the same amount of time....and love it. :smile:

Interesting.

Madleggs - good idea, and probably valid in the US, but over here unless you're very rich or have private medical insurance, not a possibility.

The NHS* is a great institution, and I would defend it to the end (which might not be far off...) but you do tend to get 'issued' with things, like feet. Some prosthetic departments will listen to arguments, and do what they can to bend with the wind, but budget restraints obviously affect us.

(If my sums are right).

Allen.

(*NHS - National Health Service. We pay a health tax (called a National Insurance Contribution) out of our wages, and get (largely) free health care in return, plus other welfare provisions).

'allen' hate to be a dummie :blink: but what is this amount in US currency? Thanks

Interesting.

(If my sums are right).

Allen.

'allen' hate to be a dummie blink.gif but what is this amount in US currency? Thanks

type currency convertor into google...

£3500 is currently $5,140 - but couldn't swear that this will be the price in the US. Many things gain or lose 'value', mysteriously, as they cross the pond, so you might well find that US health insurance/foot providing companies are charging $10K for the same foot.

Emigration is always a possibility (joke, just in case it wasn't obvious..).

If any of the other replies from people who have Echelons already are from the US, maybe they could tell us the cost of the foot there?

Allen.

Thanks 'blue' appreciate that. :happy:

Thanks 'blue' appreciate that. happy.gif

Wow...and as a bilateral, I just got 2 of them!! ohmy.gif Unbelievable, but probably worth every cent.