Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whistonian

Umbrellan Relax Night care

I would like to know if the UMBRELLAN sock is the same as the FARABLOC ,they both appear to be made of magnetic fibres.I guess this question is mainly aimed at UK amputees as the Umbrellan is available here.I cannot find a supplier in the UK for the Farabloc,all searches appear to go to a canadian supplier.

My 73 year old wife suffers daily from Phantom pain,she uses an Umbellan relax sock whenever she is not wearing her BK prosthetic leg,it doesn't appear to do any good and I wondered if the Farabloc might be better.

Thank you for any replies.

I would like to know if the UMBRELLAN sock is the same as the FARABLOC ,they both appear to be made of magnetic fibres.I guess this question is mainly aimed at UK amputees as the Umbrellan is available here.I cannot find a supplier in the UK for the Farabloc,all searches appear to go to a canadian supplier.

My 73 year old wife suffers daily from Phantom pain,she uses an Umbellan relax sock whenever she is not wearing her BK prosthetic leg,it doesn't appear to do any good and I wondered if the Farabloc might be better.

Thank you for any replies.

Hi there,

The umbrellan sock is not the same as the farabloc.

The sock is stretchy and the farablock is like a cotton, it does not stretch, it looks a bit like an old hoover bag.

I have never used a sock but do have a farablock stump cover, it really does help my phantom, especially at night. I would think that the sock is more comfortable to wear that the farablock, although you don't have to have a stump cover made, you can just wrap your stump in a piece of farablock. If you do have a stump cover made out of Farabloc then be exact with the measurements, I would allow a few mm extra than what they say. My DSC/Limb centre sourced the farablock for me.

It is very difficult to recomment these things as they work for some people but not for others.

Lynne

Hi,

I wear an umbrellan sock ... and it is quite comfortable to wear .... mine was given to me after my revision op when I had quite a bit of nerve pain and at the time it worked quite well. I have continued to use it at night because it is quite comfy. However, I recently had a re-occurrance of a different type of nerve pain and it actually didn't work that well on this occasion ... but whether this is because the sock is now about 16 months old and has been through the wash a fair few times ... I am not sure. Initially, someone told me only to wear the umbrellan at night ... not during the daytime, so not sure if this is a factor for your wife. If I leave my prosthesis off during the daytime I usually put on a shrinker sock. Though understand you can now get the same properties that are in the night sock incorporated in shrinker socks to wear in the day also.

As Lynne says the Farabloc is different, and some people think more effective than Umbrellan, though I am not sure is so comfortable to wear. Get your wife to talk to her limb centre/prosthetist about both types, also make sure she talks to them about the phantom pain she is getting, I don't think its that unusual to get phantom/nerve type pains when we are not wearing our prosthesis but get her to get them to check her prosthesis and her stump to make sure there is nothing aggravating it.

Ann

Thanks Lynne and Ann for your replies.My wife agrees with you Ann that the Umbrellan is comfortable to wear,however, I have doubts about whether it takes the edge off her pain as I have witnessed her in terrible pain whilst wearing it.My wife does not have a shrinker sock as she was told that she didn't need one.I still cannot find a supplier of the Farabloc in the UK,if anyone knows of one i would be grateful for the info.We meet up with her consultant in a couple of weeks,so we will mention the farabloc and hopefully discuss some better form of painkillers,at the moment she is on Gabapentim 3 x 600mg a day and ora-morph 5mg up to 4 x as required.I have read that some people are on much higher doses of Gabapentim.Her local doctor suggested Antriptylene untill I reminded him that they put her in hospital last year with really bad hallucinations Doh.

Dennis

dennis

Sorry to hear your wife is in such a lot of pain Dennis. When you go to see the Consultant, as well as discussing pain relief, see if she can get any reasoning why she is in such a lot of pain. One of my own little niggles is that people are too often told 'its just phantom pains and you have to live with it', when maybe it may have some physical cause, and something might be able to be done about it. Just wondering if your wife has had scans/ x Rays of her leg to check there isn't a physical cause ... also how much is she walking/wearing her prosthesis, is it comfortable and not putting pressure on something it shouldn't be. I know when my prosthesis isn't comfortable or I am unable to walk, thats when these sort of pains kick in, then if I start worrying about them it actually makes things worse. Also might be worth asking about shrinker socks to wear in the daytime if she is not wearing her prosthesis, I myself find this helpful. But do hope she can get something sorted out.

Not sure myself of the UK suppliers of Farabloc it maybe you have to get it through your Prosthetic Centre.

Ann

Dennis,

Totally agree with what Ann has said.

I wear a juzo whenever I don't have my prosthesis on and sleep most nights with it on.

When your wife sees the consultant make sure that she is physically examined, all too often this is not done. They tend to expect us to explain our pain to them without actually examining us! Even if you have to ask.... do. As Ann said there may be a physical cause for the pain such as a neuroma or something prosthetic related.

Good luck and let us know how you both get on.

Lynne

Dennis,

by the way I printed out the information from the Canadian Farabloc site and took it with me to the consultant.

Once they said I could have it, my prosthetist meassured me following the site instruction and he placed the order over the telephone.

For others who may not know about Farabloc here is the link. Hope this works, this updated site takes some getting used to!

http://www.farabloc.com/

Lynne