Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
BethMarie

ACA's 2010 20th Annual Educational Conference

ACA 2010  

10 members have voted

1. 1. WHO IS GOING THIS YEAR?

• YES
    • NO

OK people don't forget remembering all the new items that will be offered AND pictures; Ahhh yes, lots of pictures. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm hoping to be able to upload some, but I'm not sure if I'm taking my lap top this year.. I have quite enough to carry on..

Cheryl.. Neal is right, they extended the early bird dicount until midnight on the 26th.. So, that still gives you a little to keep back..

I wish you well on the move, and hope everything goes ok... I hope to catch up while we're there....

Flip.... Are you coming to the conference?

Please make sure if you get the chance..... check out Procare Prosthetics from Georgia at the conference. Stephen Schulte is the owner and one of the prosthetists at his company. They are all brilliant, caring and on top of the latest of what's out there for everyone.

But most of all...I have never met a group who understand what is going on with us and they truly want what each of us wants individually, and will not stop until they figure out whatever it is that will work best for each one of us. Finer people you would never want to work with.....stop by and see them :smile:

It's just a shame that your first prosthetist was who he was.. I told you that someone else would be totally different......Most prosthetists care about how their patients are doing and want them to be able to walk the best that they can.. You just happen to get the bad apple... I don't think he was really bad.. I think he wasn't knowledgeable enough.. I really don't think he knew how to do bi-lateral's and definitely didn't keep up with the new stuff... How are the new legs?

Please make sure if you get the chance..... check out Procare Prosthetics from Georgia at the conference. Stephen Schulte is the owner and one of the prosthetists at his company. They are all brilliant, caring and on top of the latest of what's out there for everyone.

But most of all...I have never met a group who understand what is going on with us and they truly want what each of us wants individually, and will not stop until they figure out whatever it is that will work best for each one of us. Finer people you would never want to work with.....stop by and see them :smile:

It's just a shame that your first prosthetist was who he was.. I told you that someone else would be totally different......Most prosthetists care about how their patients are doing and want them to be able to walk the best that they can.. You just happen to get the bad apple... I don't think he was really bad.. I think he wasn't knowledgeable enough.. I really don't think he knew how to do bilateral's and definitely didn't keep up with the new stuff... How are the new legs?

It's true, my first prosthetist just didn't have the knowledge. I don't know how he would do for ak's, I'm bilateral below knee, and I know there just isn't anyone around here that has enough experience with bilateral below knees to do much good for me. There just aren't alot of us around here. I had to go where people have lots of knowledge and experience and it's only a short plane ride away. These guys are in a whole different class of prosthetists... New legs are good..am heading down to get some tweaks done and to have a 2nd pair made for working outside. I think more than anything, is the caring that they exhibit. They text, call, email to see how I am or just to say hi. They are willing to stay nights, weekends and anytime I need them. They are awesome to each and every person. From someone like me who wants mobility without pain to get back to normal, to athletes who compete in iron man competitions around the world. Pretty awesome people... :tongue:

Yes Flip, I know you are a bilateral, I had corrected that post, apparently while you were posting yours, so the thread to other's might look a little strange.. my bad. I was rushing to get that post done to see who had driven in.

Actually, there are a lot of bilateral's around the state.. I know that I had suggested a couple of good ones from around here but they would of required about a 60 mile drive to them for you..Then, there was the CPO from the Chicago area. I know that man personally,he's the one that got the ball rolling for the parity laws in our state. My leg guy has bilateral's that drive over 100 miles to come to him, and they have been with him since I started with him over 8 years ago. It's just a shame that one bad leg man can ruin it for other's in the same state.

The end result is that you have a decent pair of legs under you now, and hopefully are walking better day by day..

Yes Flip, I know you are a bilateral, I had corrected that post, apparently while you were posting yours, so the thread to other's might look a little strange.. my bad. I was rushing to get that post done to see who had driven in.

Actually, there are a lot of bilateral's around the state.. I know that I had suggested a couple of good ones from around here but they would of required about a 60 mile drive to them for you..Then, there was the CPO from the Chicago area. I know that man personally,he's the one that got the ball rolling for the parity laws in our state. My leg guy has bilateral's that drive over 100 miles to come to him, and they have been with him since I started with him over 8 years ago. It's just a shame that one bad leg man can ruin it for other's in the same state.

The end result is that you have a decent pair of legs under you now, and hopefully are walking better day by day..

Higgy,

Yep, I did my homework and knew about the CP in Chicago. By the time I drove back and forth to Chicago through traffic goodness knows how many trips... it is easier to hop a plane and fly 1 hour 20 minutes south.

I made the right decision for me and my situation. Wonderful facility and staff...

It's just a shame that your first prosthetist was who he was.. I told you that someone else would be totally different......Most prosthetists care about how their patients are doing and want them to be able to walk the best that they can.. You just happen to get the bad apple... I don't think he was really bad.. I think he wasn't knowledgeable enough.. I really don't think he knew how to do bilateral's and definitely didn't keep up with the new stuff... How are the new legs?

It's true, my first prosthetist just didn't have the knowledge. I don't know how he would do for ak's, I'm bilateral below knee, and I know there just isn't anyone around here that has enough experience with bilateral below knees to do much good for me. There just aren't alot of us around here. I had to go where people have lots of knowledge and experience and it's only a short plane ride away. These guys are in a whole different class of prosthetists... New legs are good..am heading down to get some tweaks done and to have a 2nd pair made for working outside. I think more than anything, is the caring that they exhibit. They text, call, email to see how I am or just to say hi. They are willing to stay nights, weekends and anytime I need them. They are awesome to each and every person. From someone like me who wants mobility without pain to get back to normal, to athletes who compete in iron man competitions around the world. Pretty awesome people... :tongue:

Maybe they could set up a branch in the UK too, Flip, I could do with them just now.

I am down in Georgia seeing them now...I will mention it to Stephen tomorrow, he will love it!! and you would love them!! I have seen everything there. They want me to be part of a video on Monday that they are doing along with some others..couple of the guys who do Ironman competitions will be there. One will be doing the Hawaii one in October and Procare will go along to help him. Oh how I wish there was a way for you to be with these guys. Remind me again what type of leg system and feet you have and I will run it by Stephen tomorrow. I will send you a note in the next day or so...take care of yourself..will talk to you soon! I'll make sure the group have their passports ready :)

Ok.. everyone.... roll call..... before we all take off.......

Who is attending the ACA conference in Irvine? It's nice to know who all might be there.. maybe we can arrange a sit down at some point........

Here are the two I know for sure....

Higgy

Neal

Hi, gang...I'm back among "on-line living," but with some bad news.......

After fussing for three years about getting the conference out here on the west coast, I've had to cancel out...(sigh)... The move turned out to be more major than anticipated. I'm settling in to my new place now, and I think I made the right decision, but there were some delays and "extras" that wiped out my travel budget.

Sooooo...to all you lucky folks who ARE attending, have a wonderful time! Post many updates and pictures, so the rest of us can imagine we're there with you!

After fussing for three years about getting the conference out here on the west coast, I've had to cancel out...(sigh)... The move turned out to be more major than anticipated. I'm settling in to my new place now, and I think I made the right decision, but there were some delays and "extras" that wiped out my travel budget.

Sooooo...to all you lucky folks who ARE attending, have a wonderful time! Post many updates and pictures, so the rest of us can imagine we're there with you!

:sad: I'm sorry to hear that Cherly...... I was looking forward to having a nice "catch up" session with you.. I'm glad to hear that you have gotten moved though.. I was just wondering about it last week....

Enjoy the new digs.....

:sad: I'm sorry to hear that Cherly...... I was looking forward to having a nice "catch up" session with you.. I'm glad to hear that you have gotten moved though.. I was just wondering about it last week....

Enjoy the new digs.....

HIGGY;

Doesn't look as if there are many going this year Higgy. You & Neal will have fun paling{heavens is that a real word} around. Is Jon going or will he be keeping the farm going. Have a good time looking at all the new products...and we would like some pictures, if possible. :smile:

CHERYL...so glad you have gotten moved..have been wondering about that; but sorry :sad: you couldn't go. You wouldn't have had a long trip home this year. Moving is such a mess isn't it.

I will be with you in spirit. Hugs to everyone :smile:

Yeah...I'm disappointed, too. It originally looked like I'd JUST be able to make it work, but it just wasn't meant to be. The sad part is that, had the conference come BEFORE the move, I think I WOULD had been able to make it work out. Oh, well.... by next year's "anniversary celebration," there should be a good chance of my being able to be there, no matter where it's held.

Ann, my problem is that my new digs are located about 450 miles north of Irvine and the conference... Pre-move, I would have been only about 25 miles away (no travel costs to speak of, no hotel costs, just a little driving to get back-and-forth)...post-move, it became much more expensive. And even though I did a whole LOT to reduce the cost of the move, it still left me "short."

I've determined that I have NO desire to ever work as a long-haul trucker! I ended up needing to rent a 22' moving truck. (The most I've ever driven before was one summer when I helped my dad drive the family station wagon while towing a camping trailer.) I hired help on both ends to load and unload the truck...the guys doing the UNloading were wonderful and very professional, but the "loading" guys took much, MUCH longer to do their job, which meant both more money and an extra night in a hotel "down south." The mileage on a 22' truck is not good...and the fuel tank (it ran on diesel) was immense!

I'm fortunate that I had a good friend and my sister to help me out on each end!

Anyway, I'm still unpacking...the living room, dinette, kitchen, and bath are all set up and looking good...my bedroom and the hall closet are still utter disasters! Believe me, I'd much rather be down in Irvine at this point!

Well I've met with Karen, Cheri, Eddie, Tammie and Amy. I also saw Beth Marie and her dog a few times.

This was an awesome conference for me. Some of you Facebook friends already know some of the things I did. The classes were good. Clinics were good and the people were GREAT!!!!! I learned how to surf and was able to get to my knees and dog it into the beach. It was totally awesome.

Pics and other info will follow, but put this on your calendar.

June 1-5, 2011

Westin Crown Center Hotel in Kansas City, MO

Site of the 2011 ACA National Conference.

If you all could of seen the smile on Neal's face, you would really understand his post.. He was literally beaming when he came back..

Neal, be careful of the info that you give out too much info, you'll be telling everyone about us spooning in the Pacific ocean!!

Eddie, Karen, Cheri, Amy, Beth Marie, it was awesome seeing all of you again...

Hope you can make the next one, it's the ACA's 25th anniversary and it's going to be a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a wonderful time! I wish I could have seen you surfing, Neal...I'm a lifelong California girl, and I can body-surf, but I've never learned how to use a board....

Kansas City, eh? Well, with a little luck I'll be able to hang on to the "portion" of the Conference money I was able to save for this time, and then put some more toward it...Kansas City, here I come!

Neal ... it was good to meet you. I know I've talked to you briefly in past years, but it is so hard to keep all the names and faces straight! At least I finally remembered my password for this forum after being a member for several years! It would be great if we could keep a year-long conversation going to help people figure out how to manage the financial and logistical roadblocks that keep them from getting to the conferences. Since you are on the committee, and presumably have the ear of the planners, we might be able to encourage ACA to incorporate some ideas along this line ...

Dena

Hey Cheryl,

They are doing a early, early registration this year. If you register by September 24th,2010 (I think it is, I need to check) the registration fee is only $200.00 It saves an extra $50. per person. Can't beat that.

We had a great time....as did everyone I think.

I hope you make it to KC as that is the 25th anniversary of the ACA..

That's good to know, Higgy...I actually have that "put away" in my conference account! I'll go check out the ACA site and see if they have anything up about it......

Every amputee should attend at least one conference. I'm hooked, but I know it isn't for everyone.

I agree! I've only been to one conference so far, but it was one of the best experiences of my life...not just my "life as an amp," but my entire life. I was terribly disappointed when I realized that I wasn't going to be able to go this year, as I'd been looking forward to returning for so long.

If you've never been to an ACA conference, please consider working toward going in 2011...it's life-changing, empowering, and a whole lott'a fun!

Higgy, I didn't see a mention of the "super-early discount" for registration on the ACA site...if you (or anyone else) gets details, please let us know!