Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Hoggett

Walking with a Zimmer Frame

Hello,

Long time since I have been on here, as some of you may remember I'm a Bilateral Below Knee Amputee. I'm having awful problems with one of my limbs, it keeps breaking down, I've been told that I'm doing too much (I don't agree :-)) I've been told to leave my leg off for three month to allow it to heal, also been told that I might not be ever able to walk again! So I thought "how am I gonna get around?" I can use my wheelchair in the house, but I need to go out into a out house to get my ebay supplies, (yes, I do ebay lol) so how was I going to do it? Brain wave, I'll use my Zimmer frame to walk with, it was a bit scary at first but I'm managing.

Have any of you ever tried things that others have never dreamt of trying?

Ian

Hi Ian

I am a bilateral b/k amputee too, and also have problems with one of my stumps that is skin grafted ... so know where you are coming from, regards wanting to walk and having to let it heal.

Just reading what you have written and am assumming you are talking about using the zimmer frame wearing just one prosthetic leg (whilst leaving the other one off) ... not wanting to be a killjoy here ... ... but I did it with crutches some years back and it mucked up my hip somewhat and every now and then, still, if I load more weight on that side it kicks in and will feel like its giving out on me. If you are bilateral you are loading much more on your joints when you are walking with prosthetics.. and it does catch up on us, so take care.

Ann

Hello Ann,

Yes I am wearing one limb, I might do it once or twice a week only. But thank you for telling me the problems that it can cause, I'll give it a miss I think. I have noticed I'm getting a bit more pain etc in my knee so I will stop ding it.

Regards

Ian

This is why it's so good that we have members with so many different types/levels of amputation! I'm a single BK...my first thought on reading your post, Ian, was something like, "yeah that sounds like a really good idea!" It never occurred to me that it could mean major problems for a bilateral amp. Thank goodness for Ann's experienced input!

Exactly what is a zimmer frame...{for those of us that do not know}....:blush:

I think it's what we in the US refer to as a walker.

Hello Ann,

Yes I am wearing one limb, I might do it once or twice a week only. But thank you for telling me the problems that it can cause, I'll give it a miss I think. I have noticed I'm getting a bit more pain etc in my knee so I will stop ding it.

Regards

Ian

Probably depends on how much you do it, your age etc. etc. ... but I would just be a bit careful Ian ... like me you probably are looking at 'different' ways of doing things that allows you to live your everyday life, we get quite good at problem solving I think ... and we all do things now and again which are probably not always advised, but its life ...

Not sure how long you have been an amputee or how old you are but, I was 12 and that was about 40 yrs ago, so you can probably do the maths .... I have done all sorts of probably not advised things over the years ... but do realize now how precious the legs and joints that I have got remaining are ... at my age (LOL) things start to catch up with you a bit .... got a few non-amp friends who are going down the joint replacement line already ... so we all need to take care.

Thanks Marcia!! Have a sunshine filled day....not this rain we have been having in Ohio. :wink: