Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eb2phkingood

would anyone be interested in "how to" videos on here from me?

hi. im a 23 year old male who is a knee dis-articulation (through knee). i have been this way for over 2 years because of a motorcycle crash. before the wreck i was a division 1 athlete (as high as you can get in college before going pro in America) i long jumped 7.63 meters or 25' 1" in track. i also ran the 100m in 10.59 seconds. ok, enough of the bragging. what i am trying to get as is: i use to be a hell of an athlete (especially for a white boy!!) and i taught myself how to walk up and down STEEP hills, ramps, stairs. how to ride a bike. how to run. how to walk backwards safely while pulling something (like a couch) with a NON computerized knee. and tons of other stuff. i would be willing to take video of all of this and post them on youtube. then make another topic here with all the links to the videos. only if some people would be interested though as it will take me probably 2 weeks to make all the instructional videos. i don't claim to be an expert. however i am young, athletic, and i have found ways to make things work. if anyone is interested let me know and i will get started on the videos. thanks! -wade

Id be very interested in these videos, am quite a bit older than you, but videos are a great help in teaching me ways to do different things on my leg.

I would be very interested in this as well! I've been an amputee my whole life and as I am very comfortable, I tend not to challenge myself as much as I could (and probably should). This may help me try some new things.

Videos sound like a fine idea to me! We have a thread called TIPS FOR DAILY LIVING AS AN AMPUTEE, which was started several years ago and is pinned at the top of the Tips and Tricks forum, in which several folks offered directions on how to do some interesting movements...but at that time, YouTube was not common. I think that anyone who has mastered something interesting and has the means to make an "instructional video" should give it a go and post it to the TIPS FOR DAILY LIVING AS AN AMPUTEE thread. It would be good to get that topic updated and active again!

hi. im a 23 year old male who is a knee dis-articulation (through knee). i have been this way for over 2 years because of a motorcycle crash. before the wreck i was a division 1 athlete (as high as you can get in college before going pro in America) i long jumped 7.63 meters or 25' 1" in track. i also ran the 100m in 10.59 seconds. ok, enough of the bragging. what i am trying to get as is: i use to be a hell of an athlete (especially for a white boy!!) and i taught myself how to walk up and down STEEP hills, ramps, stairs. how to ride a bike. how to run. how to walk backwards safely while pulling something (like a couch) with a NON computerized knee. and tons of other stuff. i would be willing to take video of all of this and post them on youtube. then make another topic here with all the links to the videos. only if some people would be interested though as it will take me probably 2 weeks to make all the instructional videos. i don't claim to be an expert. however i am young, athletic, and i have found ways to make things work. if anyone is interested let me know and i will get started on the videos. thanks! -wade

wow just your post , in writing, is inspirational do the video! i dont kow where u live but, here in the usa, there are organizations like challenged athletes, ampusurf, and even the military who are very very active even though amputees

maybe they would welcome this video

moving couches?? can you come rearrange my furniture?? ha ha

I would :smile:

ok what videos would you guys/gals like me to start with first? or what are you most interested in seeing? ill obviously start my first video with an about me and show my leg and everything but should i just start with the simple stuff like walking downhill? then move to the medium stuff like down steps foot over foot. then onto the extreme stuff like walking UP stairs foot over foot with a NON computerized knee? or should i just make all the videos first and then just post links to all 5 or 10 videos? anything else you guys want a video of??? even if i cant do it, ill still try to figure out a way for you. :) just let me know!

i mean if you guys want me to try and make a video specifically for you doing whatever it is you want list it here. for example, if you wanted me to try and teach myself to jump on a trampoline with a mechanical 3r60 and then make a video of how to do so (supposing i can figure it out) i will. give me whatever ideas you have and be patient with me and ill see what i can do for everyone. -wade

Since ramps and stairs are at least initially tough for just about everyone (and especially so for "newbies"), that might be a good place to start. It would give you a chance to try out the "video-making" process without having to think too much about the activities you're demonstrating. (I mean, when I was really NEW at this, I even felt unsteady on ELEVATORS! I still tend to momentarily freeze up at going down on an escalator, for that matter, but it's slowly gotten better.) And I'm just a single BK, so I can imagine that it could be quite daunting for a new KD or higher amp level!

For myself, I'd like some tips on ladders (especially when trying to do jobs around the house), walking backwards (especially when carrying something), and trying to pick up and balance a heavy/bulky load of "stuff" from the ground. Yes, that's right; I've never been good at walking and chewing gum at the same time! :laugh:

It is hard for some of us to remember how hard it was in the beginning to do the simplest things like stairs and ramps. Even walking across the lawn to land you on your butt. I think the best help would be to start with what seems like simple tasks then move on to the more difficult ones.

Great idea Wade. BTW, welcome to the forum.

This feels like a challenge thread now.... I'm so tempted... pogo stick? tightrope walking?... no, I should stop thinking like that, naughty me...

Though I bet you could do anything anyway, you sound like that kind of person wink.gif

Even tho I'm a BK, I've never mastered stairs foot over foot. Sometimes with a rail to hold on to, I'm fairly okay. Without, forget it! Would love to see a video on that, just a simple thing.

I've got one....cycling while standing on the pedals i.e. without sitting on the saddle. I'll be impressed if you can do that on a standard knee unit(not Bartlett tendon)

It would help me to climb steeper hills without having to use this motor if I can work it out :smile: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV1XVZFnj0k

I've got one....cycling while standing on the pedals i.e. without sitting on the saddle. I'll be impressed if you can do that on a standard knee unit(not Bartlett tendon)

It would help me to climb steeper hills without having to use this motor if I can work it out :smile: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV1XVZFnj0k

yea the bartlett tendon makes it possible for sure. i dont know if its possible to do it or not without the tendon. i mean Physics wise im not sure if it is even possible. however im very curious and going to get started working on it, should be fun to try. im just waiting on my 3r60 to get back from germany for repairs then i will get these videos started. should be here sometime this week. blew out the hydraulic cylinder in my last one bicycling 51 MPH.(use Garmin to see my speed) and i dont wanna tear up the replacement they sent me. otto bock already hates me as i have torn up their 3r42 3 times and the 3r60 2 times now. they actually tell me im a K5 lol. anyways ill definitely work on that standing up while biking thing for you. not sure if its possible but sounds like a fun challenge either way!