Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
slickjesus

Minus 2 toes

Hi All,

I'm looking for inspiration that life can go on and still be satisfying. Perhaps different but not diminished by something like a couple of toes. Hello all!

I'm a 54yo male, artist, generally an optimist, irreverent, with gallows humor.I work primarily in pen and pencil and do a lot of digital photography. Due to a freak accident (perhaps all accidents are) my broken left foot had a cut through which the bone in my two smallest toes got infected. In mid-March they were removed along with a bit of my foot. I can walk. I realize this is small potatoes...(jeepers! what a bad unintended pun) compared to when one has lost a leg or an arm in any various configurations. Nevertheless it still feels like a big deal. I lost my hearing on my left side in the same accident and my jaw was broken plus a host of other injuries. I'm making the effort to not have "pity parties" but I do feel broken. I recently was reading about Aron Ralston. Ralston is known for having severed his own arm below the elbow, after his arm was pinned under a boulder while hiking alone. Anyway that is what brings me here; looking for inspiration by writing and reading others events here.

Welcome to the forum Slick..........

My husband had the same sort of amputations that you are discussing in 1986. It may seem like small potatoes, but it isn't. It still effects you, and your shoes, and walking (to a point).... Do you find this is the same foot you are always kicking something with? Jon seems to find that it is the exact point that he will "stub" his toes on, every time.... If you have questions, please feel free to ask away......

Hi, Slick, and welcome! Nothing "small" about a couple of toes...they were YOUR toes, after all, and I'm sure you were planning on keeping them around. That said, it does sound like you're in good shape. "Gallows humor" can be a pretty effective weapon in the effort to get on with life following an amputation...so go ahead and indulge. :wink:

I went through the "lose a toe and bit of the foot" business myself, also as the result of a badly broken foot. It did what it was supposed to — got rid of a nasty bone infection — but in my case they never managed to come up with a surgical repair for the rest of the fracture, so I eventually wound up losing my foot and ankle as well. Long, long story...but the end result is that I'm back to living a perfectly normal, healthy, one-legged life.

Read away...ask questions...offer opinions...we're a pretty easy-going group, and most folks do their best to be helpful, especially for a "newbie."

Thank you Higggy and cherylm for reading my intro and for your responses. My wound is still healing and after X-rays today, I find I have no infections and approx. another 6 weeks before the wound closes entirely. I'm looking forward to wearing shoes again.

Higgy, your husband has been at it for a while, is he still conscious of the missing toes...or with time has it become 2nd nature,..if that is the right expression?

Cherylm it cheers me to hear you say you lead a “perfectly normal life.” I'm working toward that. I know with time it will come. Thank you both again for the welcome.