Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jafsky

New amputee / to forum

Hello

I'm a new LBK amputee, three months, as a result of a hippo attack. While canoeing on the Zambezi river, Zimbabwe, we were flipped over by a hippo which bit my leg as soon as I hit the water. After battling infection - quite dirty mouth on this animal - and severe damage to the leg seems like the final wound is closing so I may get a new leg soon.

Look forward to learning from all the members and hopefully I will be able to help as I gain more experience.

Hi, jafsky, and welcome to the forum!

Hi and welcome. I am also a LBK, any questions ask away everyone on this board is very friendly.

Hello Javier. Welcome to the forum. What a terrifying way to lose your leg.

Hello

I'm a new LBK amputee, three months, as a result of a hippo attack. While canoeing on the Zambezi river, Zimbabwe, we were flipped over by a hippo which bit my leg as soon as I hit the water. After battling infection - quite dirty mouth on this animal - and severe damage to the leg seems like the final wound is closing so I may get a new leg soon.

Look forward to learning from all the members and hopefully I will be able to help as I gain more experience.

Welcome to the forum, from what I have read, your lucky to be alive!!! There is alot of info to be found here.

Hi Jafsky,

Welcome to the Forum--ask all the questions--there are great folks here with lots of good information.

Peace, Beth Marie

Thanks for the welcome, I've already read several posts in the forum that are helping me learn and hopefully make better decisions.

I consider myself very fortunate to be alive so now I'll continue to make the best out of it, very thrilled as today I will start wearing a temporary leg.

This the story of my accident as seen by the couple that helped us: http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pages/Marinesavesinjuredmanafterhippoattack.aspx

That's quite an adventure...you're lucky to be alive, Javier! I've heard that hippos can be extremely aggressive creatures, and it certainly sounds like I've heard right.

It really is astonishing just how many ways we find to join this little amputee "club"...my own story is exceedingly silly (I broke my foot while opening my bedroom curtains), while others have had some terrifying experiences. I'd say that you're among the "terrifying" ones. Glad you made it through to join us!

That's an amazing story. I must say, when I read your introduction, I thought at first it was a joke! I have made up silly stories about how I lost my leg (just to make it interesting and for laughs) but I could never think of something as terrifying as what actually happened to you. Truth really is stranger than fiction!

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome

WOW what a an incredible story, you need a tee-shirt that says please ask me how I lost my leg! No seriously i am sorry. So pleased that you are now moving on and getting you new leg. Yes something like this certainly gives you a new outlook. Take care soo

Hello and welcome to this world. It is wonderful to know you are not alone. I am in mid west USA (Illinois) :) That was one hungry hungry hippo !! Smile and I believe you are chosen for something far more than you ever dreamed. Keep in touch and Welcome to our hood :)