Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Kaz

Persistent rash

Hi all,

I used to come on here a while back but havn't signed in for a while as so busy with work, etc. I now have a problem and i'm hoping someone can help me.

I wear a below knee prosthesis and i've hardly ever had skin problems in the 30 years i have been wearing one. Now, all of a sudden, i am getting a rash that started on the inside of the stump a few months ago. I went to a skin doc who prescribed Ecural for dermetitis which he wasn't sure it was. I had an allergy test at the same time (no allergies) The cream worked but this rash is back and now all over stump and on/behind knee. I wear the patella bearing socket type pros with a Dermaseal (gel) sock.

Thanks for reading :-)

I haven't had anything like that. In the early days I had a yeast infection from all the antibiotics I had taken. Try washing your liner with a good antibacterial soap. Then spray it with a mixture of 50% alcohol 50% water. Let it dry thoroughly before you donn it again. You might also try wearing a sheath or thin sock under the liner.

Thanks Neal :smile:

Doc said it def not a yeast infection. The derma seal gel socks are supposed to keep the skin in good condition ( i cant wear cotton socks as my skin chaffed constantly when i wore them in the early days). I'm not on medication and keep the socket clean. So, i'm befuddled as what it is and how to solve it :sad: I need to work 9-5 Mon.Fri and have it on then so this isn't helping much either that i cant air it off. This is a real bummer :dry:

Karen,

I'm so happy to see you posting on the forum again. biggrin.gif But I'm not happy about what you are experiencing. mellow.gif That is very uncomfortable. blink.gif

1. If you are starting to get this all of a sudden, something may have changed. unsure.gif

2. The fact that you were able to find relief, yet it came back, means the cause is still part of the equation. unsure.gif

3. Check back and see if anything may have changed in your routine. unsure.gif

4. I'm thinking that it may be what you are using to clean the liner with. The cleaning formula is either different or you have developed an alergic reaction to it.

I hope that this will help lead you to relief.

Best wishes and feel better! <3

Hey JV :biggrin: How are you?? I hope all is well.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am now thinking it could actually be the detergent i'm using. Although, i've never had probs before just putting my gel socks in the washing machine. But maybe these companies start adding new ingredients which could be causing this irritation suddenly. Process of elimination time. Thanks again. :smile:

Btw, i like the new look of the forum!

I think you're on the right lines with the detergent.

Wash the sock by hand for a week using just soap (pref. 'Simple' soap, i.e. non-perfumed, no additives), and see if it clears up at all.

As far as a non-toxic detergent is concerned, I'd recommend Filetti - I get rashes from many others, but not that one.

Good luck.

Allen, bka, London.

Hey JV :biggrin: How are you?? I hope all is well.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am now thinking it could actually be the detergent i'm using. Although, i've never had probs before just putting my gel socks in the washing machine. But maybe these companies start adding new ingredients which could be causing this irritation suddenly. Process of elimination time. Thanks again. :smile:

Btw, i like the new look of the forum!

I hadn't realized gel socks could be put in the washing machine, I always just wash mine by hand using handwash soap and rinse it it off. So far haven't had any rashes.

@ Allen - Thanks for your tips re. Simple soap and Filetti detergent. I'll give them a try.

@ Ann - I put them in the machine quite often to give them a good clean but i will start using another more sensitive detergent, like Allen suggested. After a days use i clean them in the sink but i also think the soap that i use is too harsh.

Hmm, yes, i think the solution is using other detergents, etc to clean the socks and socket. Thanks everyone who replied :smile:

@ Allen - Thanks for your tips re. Simple soap and Filetti detergent. I'll give them a try.

@ Ann - I put them in the machine quite often to give them a good clean but i will start using another more sensitive detergent, like Allen suggested. After a days use i clean them in the sink but i also think the soap that i use is too harsh.

Hmm, yes, i think the solution is using other detergents, etc to clean the socks and socket. Thanks everyone who replied :smile:

Kaz, I just use a supermarket brand anti-bacterial handwash

Kaz, I just use a supermarket brand anti-bacterial handwash

Ahh, also a good tip. Ta! :smile:

Hey JV biggrin.gif How are you?? I hope all is well. Thanks for your suggestions. I am now thinking it could actually be the detergent i'm using. Although, i've never had probs before just putting my gel socks in the washing machine. But maybe these companies start adding new ingredients which could be causing this irritation suddenly. Process of elimination time. Thanks again. smile.gif Btw, i like the new look of the forum!
I'm doing great thanks! All is good! I'm glad that I gave you something to help get you going on the mend. Washing your liner with other fabrics could introduce other irritants into the equation as well. Let's hear back on your progress and any other time as well. Thanks for the feedback on the new look of the forum. Hopefully it will keep you coming back more often. smile.gif

Hi All,

over a month on and no improvement after changing to a milder detergent, buying almost all skin conditioning lotions/creams available on the market, etc etc etc.. It's actually getting worse :wacko:

Been to 3 dermatologists who all say it's not an allergy and not a fungal infection. They just give me cortison and antibactzerial soap but this is not the long term solution...not even the short term one. If i keep pros off it starts to heal. As soon as i put it back on for a day...boom.

I started to wear Otto Bock Dermaseal gel socks about 10 years ago, after not being able to wear cotton socks as the skin was so sensitive. Now i'm advised to go back to cotton socks by my prosthesist...aargghhhh :wacko:

What now? Anyone have an idea....as i'm totally lost :sad:

Hi All,

over a month on and no improvement after changing to a milder detergent, buying almost all skin conditioning lotions/creams available on the market, etc etc etc.. It's actually getting worse :wacko:

Been to 3 dermatologists who all say it's not an allergy and not a fungal infection. They just give me cortison and antibactzerial soap but this is not the long term solution...not even the short term one. If i keep pros off it starts to heal. As soon as i put it back on for a day...boom.

I started to wear Otto Bock Dermaseal gel socks about 10 years ago, after not being able to wear cotton socks as the skin was so sensitive. Now i'm advised to go back to cotton socks by my prosthesist...aargghhhh :wacko:

What now? Anyone have an idea....as i'm totally lost :sad:

Kaz,

You stop wearing your leg for several days and the rash begins to go away. Where your skin is sensitive with cotton it may be the stump itself. I had several fungal infections and they caused rashes. Even after using anti-fungal pills and creams for 6 weeks it would return a few months later. Finally, the orthopedic and plastic surgeons decided to remove the crater on my distal stump in 2006. For 4 years my stump has been good.

There could be some problem with your stump that is causing the rash that needs to be corrected. Check out this link.

http://www.waramps.ca/nac/health/skin.html

Best of luck!

Freddy

Hi Kaz

Been interested in your thread as I am having a similar problem at the moment, though mine isn't a rash, more a red, sore..ish patch. Mine stems from a sore about a month back, which healed, but its on the edge of a graft, where it dips down into the graft area .... as soon as I wear the leg/liner for more than a couple of hours I am getting it back also, though I don't think there's any allergy as such as the rest of the leg is fine, Dr didn't think it was fungal either, and I have not changed any soaps or routines. But have been very deep in current prosthesis which caused the initial sore.

Kaz, share your frustrations with this.... I can currently wear the leg for a couple of hours and try and get all I need to be done walking then take it off. Am collecting new leg soon which I hope will be a better fit and may get rid of the problem.

Interestingly, I'd already been thinking about going down the line Freddy suggests with surgery, if the new leg doesn't sort out the problem.

Thanks for the link about the skin conditions Freddy.

Ann

I had several fungal infections and they caused rashes.

Best of luck!

Freddy

Hmm, this had made me think the underlying cause for this rash outbreak actually IS a fungal infection. I am doing extensive research on the internet at the moment and discovering very interesting and useful info (including your link. Thank you! Very intersting also for future reference).

Freddy, thank you also for your sugery suggestion. I will keep it in mind.

Apparently there are many, many forms of fungal infections that have different appearances. Unfortunatly, I have learnt from past experience that doctors have overseen symptoms (ahem! :unsure: ) and haven't diagnosed correctly...shocking, but true :dry:. I just bought some anti-fungal cream from the pharmacy and tea tree oil and mix it in with a base cream...and see what happens.

Hi Ann, you should also consider that the underlying cause of that red patch is fungal-related. Hmm, i think docs just see the result (a rash or red patch, etc) and do not consider where or from what it could stem from. We also need to consider that they probably do not treat many amputees so they hardly see or understand the problem! Sheeesh! :blink: anyway, we soldier on... :wink: Try googling ''fungal infections'' and ''candida skin infections'' and maybe you find your symptoms and come up with a soluion.

Good luck! I hope your new pros solves the problem.

I had several fungal infections and they caused rashes.

Best of luck!

Freddy

Hmm, this had made me think the underlying cause for this rash outbreak actually IS a fungal infection. I am doing extensive research on the internet at the moment and discovering very interesting and useful info (including your link. Thank you! Very intersting also for future reference).

Freddy, thank you also for your sugery suggestion. I will keep it in mind.

Apparently there are many, many forms of fungal infections that have different appearances. Unfortunatly, I have learnt from past experience that doctors have overseen symptoms (ahem! :unsure: ) and haven't diagnosed correctly...shocking, but true :dry:. I just bought some anti-fungal cream from the pharmacy and tea tree oil and mix it in with a base cream...and see what happens.

Hi Ann, you should also consider that the underlying cause of that red patch is fungal-related. Hmm, i think docs just see the result (a rash or red patch, etc) and do not consider where or from what it could stem from. We also need to consider that they probably do not treat many amputees so they hardly see or understand the problem! Sheeesh! :blink: anyway, we soldier on... :wink: Try googling ''fungal infections'' and ''candida skin infections'' and maybe you find your symptoms and come up with a soluion.

Good luck! I hope your new pros solves the problem.

Glad to be of help. I suffered from these fungal infections off and on for years. It was the plastic trauma surgeon who diagnosed it. I would take Diflucan for 6 weeks and use Baza Cream with 2% Miconazole Nitrate and it would go away. Then six months later it would come back. The crater on my stump was a good place for bacteria and fungus to grow. Once the crater was removed so were the infections.

Freddy, I don't understand "crater on your stump". :blink:

Freddy, I don't understand "crater on your stump". :blink:

Well, I have a very long AK stump that ends a few inches above the knee. While I was hospitalized I had a 3/16th pin through the distal end of my femur. When I finally had a revision 8 months later a depression was left behind on the inner side of my stump due to the pin tract. Over the years due to that area being near where the socket value was it helped to make this area form into a crater about 2 inches long, 1 inch wide and a 1/2 inch deep. Negative pressure developed inside the socket causing a cauliflower effect on the tissue around the crater. This area now became a magnet for bacteria and fungus to breed. I suffered with this problem for 25 years when my trauma team doctors said we need to fix it. It took 3 months from the surgery, healing, and to the fitting a new prosthesis when I was able to return to work. It has been 4 years now without any stump problems at the distal end. I should have had this fixed sooner. My advice to others is do not settle for temporary relief when a permanent solution to a problem is available. Save yourself years of problems and pain.

I experiencing very similar conditions. I have had bad skin all my life but this is new to my stump.

I am seeing a dermo dr tomorrow in hope of some cure. I will post any info I get to help.

Chad