Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mary Farquhar

It`s Been One Month And 10 Days.

It`s been a month and 10 days since my `exploratory` surgery. The Dr. took bone and nerves out. I am starting to put more weight but still use crutches to help. After seeing my Dr. last Friday he told me that the lab test results showed that it wasn`t the nerves. I believe that the pain is going to be back once I put full weight. I`m still healing but when I do put weight I feel something, and also feel some of the same sensations as before. I guess time will tell. The Dr. thinks it`s too soon to tell and he only wants to see me in September.

I`m feeling tired of it all....trying to stay positive but some days are hard. I just want my life back! If the pain is still there when I start walking then I know what I have to do....I will go to a bk. I will not go through any other surgery to try to fix it. I have tried and know that I have given it my best shot!

Mary

Stay positive Mary ... I imagine if they removed bone and nerves its probably going to hurt a bit for some time ... they both usually take quite a while to settle down ... don't rush it.

Thanks Ann! I am trying to stay positive. Now my back and neck are starting to cause me pain again. I have knots all over my back. Think I am going to have no choice but to see an Osteopath. I`m still not putting full weight.....it`s going to take time for sure.

Thanks Ann! I am trying to stay positive. Now my back and neck are starting to cause me pain again. I have knots all over my back. Think I am going to have no choice but to see an Osteopath. I`m still not putting full weight.....it`s going to take time for sure.

Mary,

Hang in there. I hope that you are able to get better and the pain subsides. Give it time and if it does not improve see another doctor.

Take care,

Freddy

Hi Mary,

Just seen this as we have been away. Hope it is starting to improve and that further surgery isn't needed. Stay strong.

Sue

My wife currently has a fixator on her leg. It's been there since January and she still has 2 months to go. Two things she mentioned in regards to pain in her shoulders and neck were the adjustment of her crutches and secondly she switched from regular crutches to -what her Dr. called Canadian crutches. They have a big curve at the top which you tuck under your arm and ergonomic hand grips. Also they are adjustable. These made a big difference to her comfort and ease of getting around. Best wishes in your hard times. -Blaise

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It`s been 2 months and 1 week. I am now walking again with and without my prosthetic on. Unfortunately I still have the same pain in one area of my stump. I am preparing myself for a bka. I feel like I have tried all I can. Three years of this and it`s definately not getting better! In 5 weeks I see my Orthopaedic Dr....I will know more then.

Hi Blaise....the pain in my back is due to my body being out of alignment from my prosthetic. My prosthetist has tried to lower it as much as possible but I am always higher on one side. It`s more difficult to be even on the hips when I have my heel. My heel then goes into the prosthetic, which then automatically I am higher. It`s only been 4 years of wearing an insert for my good foot...so 15 years of wearing a prosthetic higher on one side can cause damage. I really need to get to an Osteopath. I will once my foot pain situation is settled.

Mary

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It`s been 2 months and 1 week. I am now walking again with and without my prosthetic on. Unfortunately I still have the same pain in one area of my stump. I am preparing myself for a bka. I feel like I have tried all I can. Three years of this and it`s definately not getting better! In 5 weeks I see my Orthopaedic Dr....I will know more then.

Hi Blaise....the pain in my back is due to my body being out of alignment from my prosthetic. My prosthetist has tried to lower it as much as possible but I am always higher on one side. It`s more difficult to be even on the hips when I have my heel. My heel then goes into the prosthetic, which then automatically I am higher. It`s only been 4 years of wearing an insert for my good foot...so 15 years of wearing a prosthetic higher on one side can cause damage. I really need to get to an Osteopath. I will once my foot pain situation is settled.

Mary

hi mary, i hope you are feeling better now, maybe this will work for you,keep your spirits up!

i wentto an osteopath for my back & he fixed it in 3 sessions!! brilliant

maggie

Hi Maggie, the exercising I have been doing has helped a bit but I still have knots all over from my neck to my lower back, and I have pain in my sciatic nerve at times. My whole body is off from 15 years of being in prosthetics that makes one side higher then the other. Because I still have my heel it makes it hard to make me even in a prosthetic. I do need to get to an Osteopath. So until I am not uneven in a prosthetic I will have knots every where?

The surgery I had in May didn`t help my pain.I see my Orthopaedic Dr. in almost a week now. I am very nervous and scared but yet kinda excited. Hoping I can start a new life without pain?! It`s such a big decision, but I either live a life with pain and be limited in walking and activities or get a bka and have a full life of activities. I hope it`s all going to work out?!

Mary

hi, i do hope all goes well, whatever you decide, of course no-one can decide for you, you have to weigh up all the pro's & con's , then you can decide what to do, thats what i did anyway!!!

hope all goes well

maggie