Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Is there any way to find out how much prosthetic legs cost? I understand that it's not as simple as the cost of the materials, because the prosthetist has separate charges. I'm just curious about rough ballpark estimates on the various legs for above-the-knee amputees. Roughly how much would you expect to pay (for the socket, knee, foot, and prosthetist fees) for a C-Leg, Plie 2, Rheo? How about the non-microprocessor knees (e.g. the Otto Bock 3R80)? If anybody knows or can make an armchair estimate, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, how about water legs (for the pool and the shower)? Can those be obtained relatively inexpensively, and did your insurance company approve that request? Thanks!

Mike B

P.S. I plan to ask my prosthetist all of these questions. It's just that I won't see him for another month, and I haven't been able to find out any cost information on the Internet.

Well, I can't speak to AK issues...but I can tell you that it is possible to cobble together a relatively stable BK water activity leg for not a tremendous amount of money...which is good, because my insurance wouldn't pay for it, so I was on my own. That leg cost me about $1700.00. The socket was done at the same time that I was being cast for a new "everyday" leg, so that saved on prosthetist costs. The foot was bare-bones basic, and my "final" socket on the water leg is actually the final "check socket" from the other leg. It does what it's supposed to do, though, and I'm thrilled with it!

Good luck with your info seeking.... :biggrin:

Like Cheryl I can t speak to AK legs however I just got my water leg on Friday and It only cost me the price of the foot. Which I bought on eBay for $130(Seattle Catalyst) my Prosthetist used one of my old sockets and just lined it with foam so it fit nice and snug again. Which was fine cause all its gonna be used for is water activities and riding my bike.

When I was researching for the prosthetic parity bill in Oklahoma, I was told by my prosthetist that a basic AK leg could be had for $25,000. This would be a hydraulic knee and simple foot. The costs can go from there to over $100,000 if you want the Power Knee by Ossur. All prosthetics are figured on the "L" schedules. This is what is billed to insurance companies. Many feet, knees, etc are grouped into one L code.

I don't know the breakdown on the components except for feet. Feet top out, except for running feet, at about $6,500. Liners run around $1,000 each.

I know nothing about water legs. I took an old socket and foot and put them together into something that I can use.

Only a prosthetist can give you a real estimate of costs. There are just too many alternatives.

Neal

I was told by my prosthetist that a basic AK leg could be had for $25,000. This would be a hydraulic knee and simple foot. The costs can go from there to over $100,000 if you want the Power Knee by Ossur.

EH!!!!!

A fully built C-Leg in the UK is £25,000! A socket is around £4000, depending on if you have one with a liner or not that could drop by £500. Feet are generally £1000 for a good one. rotators are about £100, the rest is the knee £17000 for a C-Leg, service programme and the charge for clinic time to actually cast you and put it all together.

A "basic" AK leg in the UK, with say a mauch gaitmaster knee and VSP foot would set you back around £10,000 privately. IF you don't have insurance in the US maybe it would work out cheaper to have a holiday on England??

Is there any way to find out how much prosthetic legs cost?

I recently got a leg I had to pay for totally, and I was unable to learn or even understand how much the components cost and how much the labor cost. Billing for these things has grown up around the way insurance companies will accept it and as best I could figure out, they started out with the cost of a 1970 leg (SACH foot and all) and then added on all kinds of surcharges. Some things (feet for example) got charged more than once. When I wanted to try out different feet, the price didn't change even though the cost of the different feet varied widely, according to rumor. My guy finally said, "Look, I'll just charge you 75 percent of what I'd charge the insurance company." So I agreed.

The prosthetic industry has done a wonderful job of hiding the cost of everything. I've spent a long time looking and have been unable to find the cost of much of anything. Even socks. It's a clear example of one of the things that's wrong with the healthcare industry (US) where the customer has no effect or even concern about what things cost.

I actually think that the majority of my cost for the water leg was for my liner and suspension sleeve. I did get a "my cost" figure for the socket, which would be $500 if I ever wanted to replace it, as long as it was done the same way my current socket was: the final "check socket" as part of being cast for a new socket for my everyday walking leg. My foot on the water leg is nothing special...a plain old SACH foot, which is "walk-able" but a BIG drop from my normal foot. My liner and sleeve are exactly the same as on my everyday leg.

It is a bit of a mystery how just about anything related to "medical issues" is charged. I used to do insurance billings, many, MANY years ago, and it was a "mystery" even then...with all the technology and choices available now, I'm half-convinced that they just throw a dart at a rate schedule and charge whatever it hits. :blink:

I recently got a new socket, paid fully by my insurance company. The cost for CAT-CAM seal-in AK socket with soft inner socket (like a vacuum socket) was 16,000 NIS (4,155 USD / 2,715 pound ) which includes all the labour and a clear socket but NOT the Ossur X5 liner.

I recently got a new socket, paid fully by my insurance company. The cost for CAT-CAM seal-in AK socket with soft inner socket (like a vacuum socket) was 16,000 NIS (4,155 USD / 2,715 pound ) which includes all the labour and a clear socket but NOT the Ossur X5 liner.

My C-leg; foot, knee, socket, and labor cost around $46,000.00, but that was what the insurance would pay. The total retail cost was over $60,000.00, but Otto Bock and Hanger accepted what the insurance company would pay. This leg was delivered the last week of May 2010.

My C-leg; foot, knee, socket, and labor cost around $46,000.00, but that was what the insurance would pay. The total retail cost was over $60,000.00, but Otto Bock and Hanger accepted what the insurance company would pay. This leg was delivered the last week of May 2010.

Please tell me to mind my own business if you'd like, but I hope you don't mind me asking: do you personally have to pay that?

I cannot comprehend having to do such a thing, that's £40k retail here!!

I would seriously consider getting a broomstick for a leg and buying a second hand Ferrari instead! The Ferrari would last longer and have a resale value!

I have just gotten my new BK leg...I have medicare & a supplmental policy...I do not think I will have to pay much difference & I really don't know what the total cost is. Should be hearing soon. Will post cost.

As for a water leg, I had a couple fo different older feet that I used with past sockets, but the foot I used started sounding crunchy,so, I decided to try using a peg for a water leg and I love it.. It works welll for anything actually.. About a month ago, my regular every day leg decided to have a malfunction, so I just wore the peg leg up to the prosthetists office that morning.. It takes less room to pack up, works great for shower, swimming, and I can even climb ladders with it on the same as my prosthetic feet. What I like most about it is the fact that it's light weight, and durable go anywhere leg.. The Trowbridge, Terra round foot was very inexpensive as well. I think my out of pocket expense after deductibles, and insurance was something like $250.00- $300.00.

Please tell me to mind my own business if you'd like, but I hope you don't mind me asking: do you personally have to pay that?

I cannot comprehend having to do such a thing, that's £40k retail here!!

I would seriously consider getting a broomstick for a leg and buying a second hand Ferrari instead! The Ferrari would last longer and have a resale value!

There is a law that says that the prosthetic knee company(Otto Bock) and the prosthetic leg maker(Hanger) must accept what percentage insurance will pay for the leg, which was about 75% of retail price. They still made money but less than they would have liked. Because they accepted a percentage they are barred from making the patient make up the difference. That is if they want to do business in Massachusetts.

Hi. I was told my c-leg,MAS socket, 5X liner and Harmony vacuum setup would run between $55-60,000.

On a side note, i've found alot of good deals on used stuff on ebay. You have to know exactly what will/won't work and how to set it up on your socket. One could get a prosthetist to set it up, but on the side. By law, a prosthetist isn't allowed to install used componentry.

Hi. I was told my c-leg,MAS socket, 5X liner and Harmony vacuum setup would run between $55-60,000.

On a side note, i've found alot of good deals on used stuff on ebay. You have to know exactly what will/won't work and how to set it up on your socket. One could get a prosthetist to set it up, but on the side. By law, a prosthetist isn't allowed to install used componentry.

Otto Bock will not repair used C-Leg or Compact knees. However, I used a (used) Compact with a non-Otto Bock foot for 18 months without any problems.

Did you fix it yourself ??????

As for a water leg, I had a couple fo different older feet that I used with past sockets, but the foot I used started sounding crunchy,so, I decided to try using a peg for a water leg and I love it.. It works welll for anything actually.. About a month ago, my regular every day leg decided to have a malfunction, so I just wore the peg leg up to the prosthetists office that morning.. It takes less room to pack up, works great for shower, swimming, and I can even climb ladders with it on the same as my prosthetic feet. What I like most about it is the fact that it's light weight, and durable go anywhere leg.. The Trowbridge, Terra round foot was very inexpensive as well. I think my out of pocket expense after deductibles, and insurance was something like $250.00- $300.00.

hi higgy, what do you mean by a pegleg? does it have a foot etc?

just curious

maggie

Did you fix it yourself ??????

My leg guy took pity on me!

The newest C-leg costs my leg doc $19, 700. The latest Plie 3 cost my leg doc $18,900. I was also told that because of the amount of C-legs one orders, has to do with the cost, just like in any supply and demand business.

This is cost, without mark up. The Ossur is most likely closer to the C-leg cost.

Carbon feet? There are so many, For a spare the best thing to do is buy one on ebay for a couple hundred dollars.

And Otto Bock will ONLY repair knees that are within the repair time frame and ONLY repair those knees for the same person that initially had it scripted to them. Do not let anybody tell you otherwise, they are not being truthful.