Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ann

switching feet (Bilaterals)

I have switched from wearing very basic, I think, single axis feet which I have been wearing for over 40 yrs ... to, I think College Park Trustep feet, which I am told have moving ankles and more natural movement .... am bilateral b/k.

After about six hours of wearing the legs am experiencing lots of aches and pains in the legs, generally, that I don't usually get. I also have new sockets ... one is ok, but the other not quite comfortable yet .... so bit difficult to work out how much of the problem is due to the new feet and how much with the sockets. Also find am slightly 'wobbly' when walking continuously outside, which I kind of expect initially .... but hoping that improves. I was checked by the physio, who told me I was walking well ... though I don't actually feel that myself and feel like I am walking much more robotically than I did before.

I don't remember actually changing feet before, although think I must of somewhere down the line as remember wearing the old wooden feet from times gone by ... so not sure if what I am experiencing now is normal or not and wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Ann

Hi Ann :smile:

Guest bud usa

I have used Elation Feet from Ossur for the last 5 years. Heel height is adjustable y just pushing a button.

Hi Ann :smile:

Thanks Bud ..... at not too bothered about adjustable heel height at the moment ... my main concern with the new feet are 'tired muscles' and 'balance' ... which I didn't have with the type of basic feet I have been taken off. Am thinking I am probably noticing this because am bilateral ... but am also having probs with socket fit on one side so not sure whether probs are down to the socket or the feet.

hi ann,

could it be that you are having to control the arcticulation movement you are now getting from the new foot, which your old foot didn't have, and are using muscle you have not used in a long time, if this is the case then as the muscle builds strenght it may become easier?

I have switched from wearing very basic, I think, single axis feet which I have been wearing for over 40 yrs ... to, I think College Park Trustep feet, which I am told have moving ankles and more natural movement .... am bilateral b/k.

After about six hours of wearing the legs am experiencing lots of aches and pains in the legs, generally, that I don't usually get. I also have new sockets ... one is ok, but the other not quite comfortable yet .... so bit difficult to work out how much of the problem is due to the new feet and how much with the sockets. Also find am slightly 'wobbly' when walking continuously outside, which I kind of expect initially .... but hoping that improves. I was checked by the physio, who told me I was walking well ... though I don't actually feel that myself and feel like I am walking much more robotically than I did before.

I don't remember actually changing feet before, although think I must of somewhere down the line as remember wearing the old wooden feet from times gone by ... so not sure if what I am experiencing now is normal or not and wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Ann

Hi Ann,

I had a patient whose ankle had been fused for 4 years prior to amputation. when we upgraded them to a multi-axle foot he found it strange and said similar thing, but he did walk better (more natural). Bear in mind 40 years is a long time.

The aches and pains are as Gasa said you are having to use your muscles more for balance, this feeling is increased being bi-lateral and will take time to acclimatise to.

unfortunately changing the sockets and the feet together makes it hard to eliminate a cause, but may well of been a build issue with compatible components. So i understand why it may of been necessary to do both together.

hope this helps

Many thanks to everyone for their replies.....maybe I am just a bit too impatient.

Still not sure if its partly due to socket or just the new feet .... hopefully will improve soon.

Ann

I have Blatchford's Navigator feet, had them since 2007. when I was first fitted with them I wore them for about hour and half while they tweaked everything and I mean everything, from ankle to knee. My leg girl then told me to put my old legs back on - I could hardly walk in them. With the Navigator feet I felt a lot more confident walking on slopes, climbing stairs and I was able to walk a lot faster. I've been told the technical reason why they feel so good it is because the ankle can plantarflex (point the toes) to 12deg. Normal walking has 15deg so this is pretty close to normal walking and so you use less energy when walking on them. If you are still getting lots of aches and pains in the legs get your leg people to look at adjusting everything that can be adjusted.