Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jafsky

New Foot, adjusting ...

Hello, I've finally received my new foot, a Renegade SX, but feels like we have not been able to get the right adjustment: on every step right, right at toe-off I feel a bit of a "spring" or "shutter"; my prosthetist has checked the alignment and even tried a new test socket but that little bounce does not seem to go away - I can actually see it when walking in front of a mirror -. When contacting the manufacturer they indicated that this is normal tibia torsion and pelvic rotation; that when the prosthetic foot leaves the ground and the pressure is taken off the foot, the unit releases the stored energy and whips the foot back to the neutral aligned position and that there is nothing unnatural about this when a rotation unit with springs is used below the knee.

Even if this is normal it just does not feel right. Being a new amputee I'm not sure if this is expected. Any similar experiences out there or recommendations? Thank you

Hello, I've finally received my new foot, a Renegade SX, but feels like we have not been able to get the right adjustment: on every step right, right at toe-off I feel a bit of a "spring" or "shutter"; my prosthetist has checked the alignment and even tried a new test socket but that little bounce does not seem to go away - I can actually see it when walking in front of a mirror -. When contacting the manufacturer they indicated that this is normal tibia torsion and pelvic rotation; that when the prosthetic foot leaves the ground and the pressure is taken off the foot, the unit releases the stored energy and whips the foot back to the neutral aligned position and that there is nothing unnatural about this when a rotation unit with springs is used below the knee.

Even if this is normal it just does not feel right. Being a new amputee I'm not sure if this is expected. Any similar experiences out there or recommendations? Thank you

Hi Javier

Not sure if I am noticing something similar to you, though am currently trying a completely different foot ... to me, even though I am very used to walking on prosthetics, they now feel quite unnatural, and quite robotic ... even though am being told am walking ok.

Ann

I'll have to put my Renegade back on and see. I wore it for 4 yrs and liked it.

the renegade is like the vari-flex in that it does store energy and release it at toe-off, but with the vari-flex you don't feel the energy release as you say you do with the renegade, can't help but feel that its either a design feature of this foot or the toe is in some way under too much flex through fault, and/ or wrong weight calculation?

The renegade is quite an advanced energy return foot for a new amputee.

normally i would always recommend a low activity foot in the early days to help you to get your balance and get used to standing.

the theory being less movement = less feedback = quicker to learn to control.

hope this helps

Thank you for your feedback. I have discussed with my prosthetist and we're looking at some adjustments also with help from the manufacturer. I'll keep you posted on how everything turns out.

hey neal can i have your old renegade if your not using it anymore will trade you somthing vauluble for it :rolleyes: