Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Molly

Nail Polish

Hi everyone,

I am a new member of the forum & I'm starting off with a very trivial question.

Now summer is here I like to wear sandals but when I paint my prosthetic toe nails the polish will not stay on, it peels off very quickly no matter if its a cheap or an expensive brand or even if I do numerous coats.

Does anyone have any tips for making it stay on, I am sick of walking around looking like I've started a new trend by having polish on one foot.

Hi everyone,

Now summer is here I like to wear sandals but when I paint my prosthetic toe nails the polish will not stay on, it peels off very quickly no matter if its a cheap or an expensive brand or even if I do numerous coats.

Does anyone have any tips for making it stay on, I am sick of walking around looking like I've started a new trend by having polish on one foot.

Molly, I know what you are talking about. So far, unless you paint them everyday I haven't found how to make it stay on. Glad you joined our forum. Ann{LBK-01]

There is usually a finish on the fake toenails. Go over the fakes with acetone or polish remover with acetone and then polish them. That should make it last a little longer.

There is usually a finish on the fake toenails. Go over the fakes with acetone or polish remover with acetone and then polish them. That should make it last a little longer.

Thanks girlfriend!

Thankyou all for your replies :biggrin: I will try using the acetone to take away the shine & let you know how I go on.

Yes Mary, the remover does remove it but more often than not it has all flaked away so its not necessary.

On second thought - it may have to be non-acetone remover. Please try that first.

Use a nail file and lightly buff the toes just so they are roughed up a bit.

Gives the nail polish something to grip onto.

Use a base and a top coat as well so it doesn't chip or flake

Ahh Cat; knew you would make yourself heard sooner or later. Thanks :smile:

I can yell pretty loud sometimes Ann :biggrin:

• Like 1

hi girls(including the one who's not telling...LOL!!!!) All of the above is correct and believe me ive tried them all i find first clean toenails thoroughly of all debris including old polish lightly buff toenails with nailfile put your basecoat on when dry apply two topcoats finally apply clear nailpolish or finishing polish and when dry buff nails with a soft cloth or sponge and VOILA it should stay on for about a week a last tip is try and wear a light colour flaws are less noticable i nearly always do a french manicure its simple with practice and gives a real illusion of you having proper toenails and it can be done with pink or taupe topcoat hope this helps you all take care out there

maggie6 xxx

I used acetone polish remover and a light buff initially and, since then, always use a base coat to avoid staining. I have not had a problem with polish staying on. It lasts much longer than my other foot.

Hi everyone,

we have a clear coat nail hardener at my local wal mart. I use to let a 2 year old my mom babysat paint mine (yes I'm a male, yes they are hot pink, and yes I am straight and have a girlfriend :) In any case, I could send a pic of this if you'd like. It's tough stuff and I swim in it ect, and so far it doesn't have a single chip in the paint going on day 7 or 8. Hope this helps...

Has anyone ever tried putting fake toenails one your fake foot? Wondering if the glue would hurt the cover.

And send a pic of the polished nails!

Marcia, did you happen to run into the gal at the Conference in Kansas City who had the extraordinarily natural-looking leg? She was in one of the workshops I attended and went around showing off her leg quite happily. I believe that she DID have false nails glued onto her prosthetic foot--with a quite lovely French pedicure on them--and they looked just dandy peeking through her sandals!

I just posted this on another topic (wrong one) I put fake toenails on my fake foot today and they look great. Wondering what took me so long. Don't know how long they will last or if the glue will melt the silicone skin. But today they look good!