Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jane K

New through knee amputee as of 8/13/2010

09/05/2010

Hi Every One:

As a new amputee I'm looking for input on what other amputees have done to help phantom pain. In particular I've looked over a Dr Jack Tsao's mirror therapy and wondered if anyone has tried his technique?

Acupuncture treatment is another avenue I've wondered about in treating phantom pain.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jane K

09/05/2010

Hi Every One:

As a new amputee I'm looking for input on what other amputees have done to help phantom pain. In particular I've looked over a Dr Jack Tsao's mirror therapy and wondered if anyone has tried his technique?

Acupuncture treatment is another avenue I've wondered about in treating phantom pain.

Thanks,

Jane K

Hi Jane,

Acupuncture never worked for me, had ten sessions just to make sure! :biggrin:

I use farobloc each night, it's a bit like a Hoover bag, but strangely does help a bit.

Still using drugs five years down the line, they take the edge off it.

09/05/2010

Hi Every One:

Thanks,

Jane K

Hi Jane,

Acupuncture never worked for me, had ten sessions just to make sure! :biggrin:

I use farobloc each night, it's a bit like a Hoover bag, but strangely does help a bit.

Still using drugs five years down the line, they take the edge off it.

Acupunture did work very well at all, tried Mirror therapy with out ant luck. Next step is the farobloc, could you tell me more about this? And where to get it.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Not a lot to say really, check out the site, it doe help with my phantom pain, but not much with my stump pain.

http://www.farabloc.com/mfara.html

I had a stump cover made, the measurement has to be exact, so be careful.

There is also a stretchy sock, preferred by below knees, haven't tried it myself.

Lynne

09/05/2010

Hi Every One:

Thanks,

Jane K

I tried:

- Mirror therapy with no luck long term, but helped in the short term

- Acupuncture with no luck

- Tens unit (they are pretty cheap) some symptom help that is temporary. Two pads on opposite leg and one on each side of the lower spine at #4 vertebrae

- Fabroloc sock which did nothing

- Gabapentin, Lyrica, Cymbalta and others that took the edge off but I just didn't want to be on drugs, as the side affects were not worth it.

- Exercise and massage helped me quite a bit

- Vitamin regiment aimed at central nervous system that helps which I still take daily. Magnesium Malate, B1, B12,B6 Vit C. You can read up on it for more info. The Magnesium Malate also is used by many people suffering from fibromyalgia which is heavily nerve related.

My PL pains have all but disappeared in the 1.75 years since my accident. I still do have residual nerve pains however that I hope I have taken care of with my revision surgery. I have a couple of weeks off still and can't wait to get back to my work.

Just because something does or doesn’t work for some people, doesn’t mean much. You need to rule out treatments for yourself!

Keep your chin up, I know it's hard but things will get better over time.

KB