Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Gibby

Doubles tennis for AK amputee

I've recently started actually playing tennis for the first time since I've been an amputee - which I've been for 27 years. Even before amputation I hadn't played tennis that much - started in college and then played a bit until amputation at age 26. Somewhere along the line many years after amputation I decided I could probably at least hit the ball around with someone good enough to hit it in my range so I did that off and on - sometimes years off. This past year a friend of mine started learning to play tennis and asked if I wanted to hit the ball with her so I picked up on this again. Then she got good enough to start playing so asked if I wanted to play doubles with her and some other women so said I would give it a try though not sure I could cover the court enough to actually play. Well surprise - I am playing quite competitively at least at the level we are at. We aren't burning up the court but we are respectable - can serve consistently, return serves consistently and get some good rallies going. Anyway, my reason for posting is to see if there are any other AKs playing tennis to find out any tips and get insights on how good you can get as an AK tennis player. It is very fun and something I plan to continue as long as I'm able - unfortunate that I got such a late start with this (I'm 53 now).

No tips, no hints...just a sincere CONGRATULATIONS and wishing you the best with your "new" activity!

I tried to learn tennis when I was a teen...but I had this uncontrollable lob that kept interrupting the game as we all left the court to run after the ball........ :rolleyes:

09/26/2010

Hi:

As a new above knee amputee (8/13/10) I'm still in the incision healing, wearing the stylish shrinker stage but it is great to hear your question.

I've been a life long tennis player and hoped this may be one of the activities that I can look forward to doing again. Sounds like you are doing it and having a great time! Congratulations!

Is back peddling to get a deep ball, or overhead, an issue? Do you play singles or is court coverage a problem?

Jane

Hi Jane - it's helpful to hear what might be possible isn't it. I made the mistake in my early days as an amputee of just assuming I couldn't do a lot of things and just didn't try. It took attendance at an ACA conference for me to have my eyes opened to what was possible. Having a good prosthetist and best prosthesis possible is very important. Backing up to hit shots is do-able as long as you have time. I can walk backwards but I can't run. I'm not sure about singles but then I didn't think I could play doubles. I will probably try some singles with my friend and see how it goes.