Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eb2phkingood

What is the toughest below knee liner that you know of?

i have a friend who is a below knee amputee. he tears up every liner he has ever been in. ossur silicon & their high performance liner, otto bock, alpha gel. He is about 300 pounds and very VERY active. what is considered to be the longest lasting or toughest liner out to date?? thanks

i have a friend who is a below knee amputee. he tears up every liner he has ever been in. ossur silicon & their high performance liner, otto bock, alpha gel. He is about 300 pounds and very VERY active. what is considered to be the longest lasting or toughest liner out to date?? thanks

Not sure about the toughest or longest lasting liner, but I am bilateral b/k with skin grafting and wear an Alpha liner,think its urathane material, its quite thick, but does the job for me.

Well, as far as Ossur goes, I used to wear the Stabilo and now I wear the Synergy liners.. They have held up very well for me being out on the farm, timber, horses, motorcycles, etc.. I think the question to ask is where is his liner wearing most at? Is it at the trim lines of the socket? I had one that kept doing that and I had the prosthetist pad it so that it wouldn't wear a hole in the liner.. If it's on the thigh, then my only suggestion is that he either wear a sleeve over top, or just be more cautious... Maybe Shayne or some of the others will have better suggestions.....

Maybe he needs the actual prosthesis checked ... because one that doesn't fit damages & wears them out a lot quicker.

When I first started wearing a prosthesis, I wore gel liners...they were soooo comfortable...and soooo easy to destroy! I'd go through a liner about every six weeks, even though I was only moderately active at that point. As I got more and more active, my liner's lifespan kept shrinking.

Silicone liners also work best for me...and a "wave" design seems to hold up best because it's less likely to bunch and stretch at the back of my knee.

well he is tearing through them right on the end point, so his tibula end. he does not have any bad wear spots on his skin and says the socket feels great. he is in the synergy iceross liner right now although it is destroyed after 3 weeks. he is an unusual guy though in the since of, he jogs on his leg, lifts heavy equipment all day long at his job, and get this, weighs 303 pounds. not something you would expect from a 300 pound man for the most part. guess he is just S.O.L until something better is invented

In all honesty, I doubt they make any component for prosthetics that are meant to sustain that kind of wear. I'm proud of him for doing it, but he is just going to have to accept the wear and tear as part of his active lifestyle.

I'm assuming, since you said that it breaks down at the end, that he uses a pin system. That makes the distal end of the liner more vulnerable. He could try using a suction system or some other form of suspension to see if that makes a difference.