Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
wildcountrygrl06

My husband and myself are glad to meet you all

I would like to introduce myself and my husband, I am Shannon and my husband is Mark. We live in Morgantown, West Virgina. I will mostly do all the posting but my husband may do some from time to time. We actually are newlyweds as well, we got married then 13 days later he had his accident. Now onto why we joined. We decided to join this forum because my husband is a new amputee. On July 23rd he was driving when a flat bed tow truck crossed the double yellow line and hit my husband. He did loose his arm at the accident and he still has a little left but it is above the elbow. Along with the violent amputation he recieved major chest injuries, broken ribs, and other minor injuries as well. He is now home and doing well and actually suprised the doctors on how fast he recovered. His mindset for the loss of his arm is better then I thought it would be. He does say it sucks but at least he survived. There was no saving his arm what so ever. He is adjusting and still goes to out patient therepy and we are told that he can have a prostetic, that was a big one for me when the docs worked on him at the hospital. I wanted them to do what ever they could so he could have the choice. At first he did not want one but after being home for a while now he has decided it may come in handy for things. Any way because we are so new to the life we now have suggestions and recomendations would help a lot. I want him to know he can do what ever he wants on his own but that I am there to support where I can. Any way I am done with the book I just wrote lol thanks for listening and nice to meet you all.

Welcome to the forum, Shannon and Mark. Nice to meet you.

Hi Shannon and Mark,

Welcome! I was saddened to hear of Mark's accident and amputation. There are some new prosthetics for upper limb amputees. Check out the link.

http://www.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1024&bih=548&q=upper+limb+prosthetic&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq

Hi,Shannon and Mark...welcome to our forum "family!" I'm a leg amp myself...as an upper extremity amputee, Mark is part of a very select group.

There are some real advances going on with arm and hand prostheses now, and it's also possible to do remarkably well "one-armed"...the first time I met a friend who is a forequarter amputee, I was at first amazed at how competent she was with her single arm, and THEN I got so used to seeing how well she got along that I promptly FORGOT about the fact that she was doing it all with a single arm.

Hang in there, Mark, and practice, practice, practice...you'll be amazed at how much of your "regular old normal life" you'll be able to get back!

Welcome to the heather mills Shannon and Mark.. Lots of great information here and great people to talk to. I hope you enjoy it here. I'm also from west virginia, but I'm a LBKA. I hope Mark gets fitted soon.... Jerry

Welcome to the forum you guys. Sorry Mark had to join our little group. We all have a story to tell. Life gets back to a new normal. It may take a year, but it gets there.

I lost my leg 6.5 years ago. I'm currently unable to wear my leg as I had some minor surgery last week. One week down, three to go.

So glad you both decided to join us Shannon. Mark will learn so much here {you will also}. I hate the fact you all had to meet us this way. :smile:

Welcome to the "club" Shannon and Mark and I hope that you will profit from our ideas and life stories.I am glad to see that you,Mark,is so well assisted by your new wife after such a hard destiny,having occurred shortly after your wedding.Congratulations to Shannon for her initiative to get your life in such a way to a normal life that both of you can enjoy it as a happy couple.I am a left above knee amputee and lost my left arm above the elbow in a similar accident with my sportscar 26 years ago;the only difference is,I was guilty.Having only one leg and only one arm is a little bit difficult and sometimes complicated.However,what astonished myself,is the fact that I got rapidly aquainted to do everything with one hand.Today I can assure you that I don't miss my left arm because I adapted instinctively my whole life to do everything with one arm.Initially I had a mecanical arm,afterwards a mioeletric arm and after a short time of using them I put both in a corner and let them catch a lot of dust!!!The artificial arm,specially for an amputation above the elbow is very heavy,difficult to move,and in my opinion and individual experience an obstacle in daily life.You have all the time to concentrate and specially look to what you are doing and it is enormously difficult with a mioeletric arm to control the force of closing your hand.It is very common that you exagerate the force to secure a glass or cup in your hand and crush it or you make a unvoluntary movement with your stump or shoulder and the artificial hand opens letting crash the cup on the floor.Therefore I for myself live all the time without the pros.Even driving a car is complicated as the artificial arm cannot secure the wheel and leaving it byside on your thigh complicates your life while steering and might be a danger while driving.At dinner I fix with pressure the upper part of the fork and with my right hand I cut with the knife the meet.For dressing my trousers,I push them with my only hand up to my waist and press the back part of them against the wall in order to avoid that they slip to the floor while I get them closed and have the belt fixed.There are a lot of things you'll automatically learn and get used to the lack of one arm.I nevermore felt the necessity of a second arm and my wife says to me after looking how I am managing the obstacles with one leg and one arm,that I am now more atractive to her than before

Thanks so much for all the warm welcomes. Also its nice to meet another from our pretty state Jerry(fivestring) Before his accident Mark enjoyed playing the banjo himself and was getting pretty good at it. The prostetic guy and even his instructor told him not to get rid of his banjo (the same thing I told him too lol) They told him there are ways for him to play again and if not well there are other instruments he can play such as the slide guitar. Joachim thanks so much for your message I told Mark about it and told him to read it later (he is watching tv right now) It is always great to hear of peoples experiences for that I am greatful to all but it is also good when someone is going through or has gone through what Mark is right now. Fortunitly we have solid proof that the accident was not Marks fault so thats one less thing he needs to worry about. This forum and you all help with the other by letting him know others are there with him and he is not alone in this whole thing. I my self have the tip of my ring finger gone and have since I was one year old but I can honestly say I don't know how it feels to go through what you all and he are going through. Thanks again for the warm welcome and the support.

Hi Shannon and Mark

after rereading my text I have to correct it in that way : in order to cut the meat with the knife in my right hand,I press with my armstump (approx.length 4.5 inches) the upper part of the fork into the meat and secure by that way the fork;it works perfectly and I don't need somebody to help me at dinner.Please excuse my bad english but it isn't my mother tongue.I guess that you'll understand me.If you have further questions or would like to exchange informations,please feel at ease to e-mail directly to my adress : jo.oneleg@yahoo.com

All the best to you

Joachim

LAK + LAE

Hello and nice to meet you two also. I know what it is like to be newly wed and have an accident. I lost my leg just below the knee five months after we were married. I wish you both well and will be looking forward to more posts to see how you both are doing. :) Oh GO BEARS!!! hehehehe

I will send you a message from my email addy joachim and thanks again. So sorry dreamy to hear that you to had an accident shortly after your marriage. When people tell me that it is horrible I just tell them well he made it through and he is alive as for the marriage part well every marriage has some kind of issue at some point, well we just wanted to get ours out of the way at the beginning lol. Anyway thanks for the welcome.