Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
wildcountrygrl06

Need suggestions on Prostetic companies

My hubby and I are now starting to look into companies to find Mark a new arm. We have talked to 2 so far and we have heard that one of them isn't the greatest so we would like opinions on other bigger companies that may be all around. A good friend of mine from high school (missing a leg) suggested we talk to Otto bock ( think thats how you spell it) I did talk to them right after his accident but what I was wondering are they good and would it be worth it to contact them and make an appt with them. This is a very important decision and I like to gather info and make sure we feel comfy with the person we would be dealing with to make him a new arm. Thank you so much.

Hi,

I met a guy at the recent ACA conference in Irvine, CA who works for "Advanced Arm Dynamics" (www.armdynamics.com). He had a prosthetic arm and it was very impressive, both functionally and cosmetically!! He works at the Texas location, but I believe the company has locations in other states which you can check out on the above website. I have no personal experience with this company, though. Take care, and good luck with your search!

Karen ;-)

AK

Orlando, FL

Just about everyone uses the same suppliers for their components...before my recent move, my prosthetist was in a tiny little independent shop, but he had a fondness for Otto Bock feet, so that's what we started out with on me. You can get a great prosthetist at a little shop (mine was really wonderful, and I'm going to miss him!) or as part of a large practice. What you're looking for is not necessarily the size of the practice, but someone who has a good history of working with the type of amputation you're dealing with. In Mark's case, that means finding someone who's really interested in arms and has lots of experience fitting different types of upper limb prosthetics. Because arm amps are not as common as us "leg folks," and there is so much going on with the development of arm and hand components, you want to find someone who is keeping up with "what's new in arms."

An amputee's relationship with their prosthetist is one of the most important things there is...Mark will need to feel comfortable being fully honest with the team that makes his arms, and he should feel certain that the team members are being fully forthcoming with him. When you're interviewing a prospective prosthetist, you might want to ask what their training is, what professional certifications they have, and how much experience they have fitting amputees in a similar situation to Mark. If they can arrange for Mark to talk to an arm amp that they've successfully fitted, so much the better.

There is a unique blend of science and art in building a successful prosthesis...it's well worth your time to seek out the person who can do that for Mark, rather than just focusing on the component parts of the arm.

The best to both of you in your search!

I have to agree with Cheryl. The most important thing is finding a great prosthetist who is skilled in arm prosthetics and who Mark feels very comfortable with. There should be a lot of dialogue with this prosthetist in the beginning. Let him know what Mark is used to doing and what he would like to be able to do in the future. Interview more than one prosthetist. Talk with their clients. Check into support groups in your area. Those people are a great resource.

After you select a prosthetist, let him guide Mark in what components to use. There has been a lot of new technology for arm amps lately. Some arm amps like only a hook. Others want an articulating hand. Some want cosmetics over function. Everyone is different in what they want out of their prosthesis. If Mark lost his dominant hand, he might want something that is more functional over looking good. He can also have more than one type of hand that connects very quickly to the socket. There are many different choices.

Don't misunderstand me, though, I have a habit of looking for and trying new technology. I used to drive my legman crazy because I would always want to try something new. Mark will sometimes have to search for new technology himself. Some prosthetists get stuck in a rut and are guilty of not trying the new stuff. Mark needs to be proactive in what he needs.

Good luck,

Neal

Thank you all so much for your replies and we will take your advice. also thanks fivestring for the link I will check it out. I know Mark doesn't care about cosmetic he just would like something to help him, like getting the last spoon full of yougurt without haveing to chase it around the table or put it between his legs lol. Any way there are other things he wants to do as well such as fish and play music again. Again thanks so much for everything I so appreaciate it.

Another site to check out is www.abcop.com

You can find out if a lot about facilities and prosthetists and orthotists on this site...At least some background.. It's always a resource to check.... Sometimes, it can get overwhelming to try to understand, cope, sort out, all of the information that we get when we are new at this..... Just remember, if there is something that you don't understand, ask them to explain it till you do..

I think for me, one of my first major questions to them would be, which do you like doing better, arms or legs.. Sometimes, in my book, the answer to that question can tell you a lot..

I know that my "leg guy" can do arms, but he would much rather prefer to do legs. That is where he excels...

Good luck in your search... I know that it can seem like a huge choice... We're here if you have a question.....or two or ten....... :smile:

Good day,

Here another one website for you and hubby to check out: www.silab-pro.com

Silicone prosthesis with high level of realism + the prosthesis SILAB are very durable, hypo-allergenic, stainless (very important)

And they are really simulate the natural hand in great detail.

Me - i have one - and very happy!

Good luck!