Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lesley

cramping in stumps of below knee amputees

Hi

I am a below knee amputee since 1997.Not sure if I am using this right as this is my first time

I have two problems with my below knee amputation and was wondering can anybody help!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a keen walker and find that if I walk for more than 10 mins I get a huge cramp in my calf and have to take artificial leg off and massage my leg

I also have another problem which some one may be able to help with

I find that sometimes I get a burning sensation and when I take my liner off I have blisters on my stump so if anyone has this problem could they shed some light

thanks

Lesley

Lesley, I really dont have any advice to offer, I am new to all of this. But I know there are many out there who DO have a lot to share and hope they answer you in the next few days. Just wanted you to know "we" are out here and willing to help if we can!

Judy

Hi Lesley

Have you spoken to your prosthetist about this. I am also a below knee amputee and do experience cramp similar to this particularly when the limb isn't fitting quite right, especially if it is too tight in one area. If I were you I would speak to the prosthetist about this, it may be that the cramp and the blisters are connected. Hope you get it sorted out.

Hi!

you wrote to me and asked if i was familiar with this problem. As i'm new here, im not too sure if you received my reply....

I had this problem with my last prozzy (short form of prothesis, ha). The shaft was too tight around my stump hindering the blood circulation. It's extremely important that a.) the stump touches the bottom of the shaft allowing the blood to flow back up the leg again and B) the p. fits properly and isn't too tight allowing blood to circulate in the muscle.

hope this has helped,

Kaz

Lesley,

Sounds like you have a fit problem so you need to get an appointment with your prosthetist as soon as possible. Sorry for the late response but I lost the posting and just found it. Possibly the socket is to tight in the distal end and or the fibular head area...

Bren

you really need to see your prothese cramps normally mean your prothese is not fitting properly as i know from experience i think most people with a liner get some sweating which causes blisters i have them all the time and at the mo more than normal as the weather here is very hot at the moment.

I just love it that everybody is saying the same thing. Guess what? I had the same problem with cramps. Guess what my problem was. Yep you're right My pros was too tight.

Also I had blisters as well. Do you get water filled blisters at the end of your stump? It could be the end of your stump is not in contact with the bottom of your socket. I'd get huge blisters (once I hade one 3 inches in diamiter!) right on the end of my stump.

I also had problems with skin break down due to the iceross sleave. I hated the thing. I'd get home from work, take off my leg and half my skin would peel off with the liner. I know you're SUPOSE to stop sweating but I never did. This is a problem with about 10% of all users of iceross.

It is funny, a week ago I posted to say I have no experience here, then a few DAYS ago I got my first cramps in my stump, like Lesley was asking about. I remembered this discussion and it helped a LOT! I asked my prost. and he said also if you are dehydrated or if you are low on potassium, it can cause cramps. So drink a lot, eat a banana, then you will KNOW if it is your fit or your body! It was SO helpful though, to have experienced amputees help me figure it out quickly. I had a BUNCH over the weekend, then went in to the prost. on tuesday to find my stump had shrunk almost a full inch and did NOT fit well in the socket.....since they have padded it, the cramps are almost 100% gone.....just like you guys said! (my cramps were not just "stump" cramps....sometimes it felt like my missing foot was cramping, and I needed to rub it out...which is funny because I didnt feel that foot that strongly when it was a part of my body! Plus it told me that it might not always be *just phantom pain*...this time it was *cured* by fixing the socket!)

Judy

LBK

Utah