Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

Did I miss the memo???

This has been a really unusually long time without activity on the forum....has everyone gone on vacation at once? Did I miss an evacuation notice? Or does everyone just have a much more interesting life than I do right about now???

Come on folks...give us a report on your goings-on! :wink:

Been busy making a homemade snow plow for my lawn tractor before it snows. Other that, normal goings on.

post-1592-128790567562_thumb.jpg

Being busy also,mawing the lawn,cleaning the swimming pool,take the car for revision and a lot of trouble within the house to resolve.Also a lot of invitations to birthday parties of friends.

See you later,

Joachim

LAK + LAE

Hi Everyone:

I've been busy with my boys, work and adjusting to my first new leg. I'm a through knee right leg amputee since August and I just got my new leg on Monday this week. Relearning balancing and to trust my leg will take time but it feels so good to be back on two legs.

The temp socket has a slow leak in either the valve or side seal. I was warned that temporary sockets can have this issue. It was pretty funny to see my physical therapist try to catch my leg when I was using stationary bike. I do have an appointment tomorrow with my leg guy so this problem will be fixed.

However my short experience with this new leg has generated many questions that I plan to ask my leg guy. Maybe some of you with more time with legs might be able to offer your thoughts.

My temp socket covers my entire thigh. I was wondering that since I was a through knee amputee, and I'm lucky to have all my thigh bone, if a socket surface could be shorter? An inch or two shorter would be much more comfortable. I've also read about a softer shell with a rigid frame option.

Anyone had this system?

The knee is a Otto Bach RX360 pro. It is a hydraulic knee that is well suited from my short 5' 1" height. However the knee has no locking ability that I think I want if a get into a poor footing situation. Maybe I'm just falling back onto the years I used a drop hinge brace to survive.

I know my prosthetic fitter can answer these points but I was trying to learn more about equipment as I can. Sometimes it feels like trying to shop for mattresses and understanding one manufactures features over anthers. Actual experience helps.

Thanks,

Jane

I understand your concern. I am recovering from my AK ERTL revision procedure which was performed 10-4-10. I have an appointment with Mr. Legman 11-3-10 where we will discuss socket type, feet and other talking points related to my post procedure leg fitting.

On 11-7-10 I will have my casting for my socket. I want to get back to work by 11-15-10 and I'm working the core muscle groups to make sure this comes to fruition.

Here is what I'm looking at for my new set-up with current C-Leg:

- Double wall socket

- Full suction system

- Trial - Freedom Innovations LP - MX Renegade Foot

- Trial - Endolite - Echelon Foot

- Trial - Ossur - LP Ceterus

In addition I received a script for a shorter knee to accommodate taller feet. I'm researching the Endolite KX06, the Ossur Mauch and the Endolite Mercury HA. This would be used as my back up walking/sports legs, one that could be used for skiing, biking and other possible outdoor activities. This is of course up to my insurance company.

I also will be selling my SymBiotechs XT-9 sport knee with only a few ski trips on its odometer. Bought it for $3,431.34 according to my receipt, will be selling it for $2,400.00 to someone who can put use to it. I know this is not a place to sell things, but if there is someone who wants one of these knees but cant quite afford it, this may be a price they may possibly be able to afford.

Thanks Cheryl for stirring things up a bit.

Kirk. B

I, too, had noticed how quiet the forum has been the last few days. I guess everyone just got busy at once.

I'm still recouperating from my revision surgery. Had to have another procedure done on Fri to close a hole that came after a flap died due to a hematoma. Worst part is that I have another 4 weeks to look forward to no leg. This is driving a busy person like me crazy.

I am still working, but should be winterizing outside. I need to pull up flowers, rake leaves and do some general clean up before it gets cold.

As you all know, everything you do from a wheelchair or from crutches takes longer and is much more exhausting than with two legs. It's not that I can't do it, but just isn't worth the hassle. I will wait or hire it done this year.

I am looking forward to our family's annual Halloween dinner and trick or treat. We live in a nice suburban neighborhood. My sisters and their families live in rural areas. Everyone comes to our house for chili then we take the little ones out for trick or treating. It's fun. I won't be able to wear my pegleg this year, but I've been thinking about how to make Stumpy look like a tragic accident. I'll come up with something. My sister is bringing their buggy this year so the old folks can ride while the youngins walk. That will be necessary for me as I wouldn't make it far on crutches.

Thanks to my mom and aunt for helping us the last few weeks. They have helped me shop, fixed meals, cleaned house and done laundry. I will have use of my mom for another week then she has a surgery scheduled to repair her rotator cuff on Nov 1. Makes me sad that I won't be of more help to her in the first few weeks of her recovery. She won't be able to do much of anything for 4 weeks, then therapy for another 6-8 weeks.

I guess I'll get back to doing nothing. I'm trying to keep Stumpy elevated the best I can. I have a drain in this time to ward off another hematoma. As you can imagine the shape of a BK stump doesn't make it easy for a bandage to stay on. Mine is slipping slowly down. I keep pulling it back up because if it comes off this time, I'm afraid it will bring the drain with it.

Thanks for the in-put and hearing how others are faring.

Since I answered Cheryl's "where is everyone?" I have spent the day food shopping while walking on two legs - and holding the cart - home to have my boys unload the purchases; then walking the aisle at Walmart to locate a small locking bin to keep my felines away from the socket liners; and lastly going for a swim. To live normally again felt wonderful!

I did realize once home moving about the limitations of my current knee or at least its setting as it is now. I equate it to my extensive time dealing with a drop hinge brace. I can walk and have some what normal gate but when I do every day motions around the house I am resorting to a "peg leg" stance. Is this typical of any other members experiences?

Am I expecting too much from the mechanical world?

Jane

I have spent the past 3 days involved in class reunion events. My 45th. God, I'm old. But it was great fun and so far about 20 of us are planning a cruise together next year! Now I'm exhausted and leaving Tuesday for Houston to spend 2 weeks with a friend. Her husband will be gone the first week so we'll probably do lots of silly girl things and after he gets back home we'll probably do more silly girl things. :tongue: I can't wait!

There now...that's MUCH better! :biggrin:

Neal, you can rig up a "bloody injury" look for stumpy easily...I did it one year for Halloween myself. (Some of you may recall the pictures!) Just cut off the leg of an old pair of pants in a "raggedy" pattern and dip the edges in blood-red paint. Then get yourself a flesh-colored piece of an elasticized tube bandage, cut one end of that off in a similarly ragged manner, just a bit longer than the pants leg, dip it into blood-red paint and pull it on so that it peeks out from under your pants leg. Voila! Instant gore! (If you're going to be wearing it long-term, it helps to wear a shrinker under the whole get-up, but since you're going to be legless for some time to come, Neal, I guess that would be up to you.) I hope that the wound heals well and quickly, so you can get your life back!

Jane, as a BK I have no knowledge of knees, but I know that in my early days with my own prosthesis, I had a hard time, well, not necessarily "trusting my leg" but not trusting myself to be able to MOVE the leg in a natural manner. That may be a part of your concern...but hopefully someone who knows something about knees can give you more specific information.

Cheryl, we have been cleaning our Koi pond. What a mess!! you wouldn't believe. This summer I lost 25 hugh Koi due to some kind of a bacteria they contacted..gave them medicine, but sadly was too late. I also had moles...treated the lawn with some kind of poison. Maybe I am the one that killed them. Who knows. Anyway I am starting again.

I am now getting ready for halloween trick or treat...we live in a very small town and have around 300 walking the streets. It is supposed to be rainy. Hope not..that makes for a nasty evening. :sad:

Hey mmarie, have a great time. Sometimes you need some girlie fun!!

Haven't heard much out of Higgy...she must be job hunting or maybe is starting a new one.

Neal, thats not good news...you were counting the days 'till you could begin walking. Keep that leg up & try to be good!

later guys & gals :smile:

Here I am getting ready for another chemo treatment. This is the eight month of this type of chemo.

Can not do too much of anything because the chemo has weakend me. I am being fitted for a V-Pin socket now.

I can not wear my Harmony E-pulse because it caused skin damage due to my low imune system.

I have spent the past 3 days involved in class reunion events. My 45th. God, I'm old. But it was great fun and so far about 20 of us are planning a cruise together next year! Now I'm exhausted and leaving Tuesday for Houston to spend 2 weeks with a friend. Her husband will be gone the first week so we'll probably do lots of silly girl things and after he gets back home we'll probably do more silly girl things. :tongue: I can't wait!

Have fun Marcia!!!!! Sounds like a GREAT time!! God, I'm old too :blush:

Flip...Lynne

Cheryl, we have been cleaning our Koi pond. What a mess!! you wouldn't believe. This summer I lost 25 hugh Koi due to some kind of a bacteria they contacted..gave them medicine, but sadly was too late. I also had moles...treated the lawn with some kind of poison. Maybe I am the one that killed them. Who knows. Anyway I am starting again.

I am now getting ready for halloween trick or treat...we live in a very small town and have around 300 walking the streets. It is supposed to be rainy. Hope not..that makes for a nasty evening. :sad:

Hey mmarie, have a great time. Sometimes you need some girlie fun!!

Haven't heard much out of Higgy...she must be job hunting or maybe is starting a new one.

Neal, thats not good news...you were counting the days 'till you could begin walking. Keep that leg up & try to be good!

later guys & gals :smile:

Hey to you and Cheryl too!!

Happy Halloween!!! Have fun and don't eat all the candy hahahaha :laugh:

Here I am getting ready for another chemo treatment. This is the eight month of this type of chemo.

Can not do too much of anything because the chemo has weakend me. I am being fitted for a V-Pin socket now.

I can not wear my Harmony E-pulse because it caused skin damage due to my low imune system.

Hang in there Ed....you will get through everything.

Good luck with the new leg!

Flip

Well, I've been hanging out at home, mostly, due to a LOT of rain coming down in the past few days. I'm an L.A. area native, so I'm used to the "rainy season" not arriving until the winter and then only giving us something around 18"-24" for the entire season. It's different up here in the north bay...we've had several rainy days already, including more than 3" of rain on Sunday alone! I need some actual rain gear!

It's beautiful countryside here, though...I've been told that I should get out to the local vineyards, as the grape vines are starting to change color...we never used to get anything in the way of "fall color" down south, and I gather that the grapevines turn some spectacular shades so I guess I need to hit the road.

Your 300 trick-or-treaters sounds good to me, Ann...there are NO kids coming to our apartment building, according to longtime residents: I figured that some of the tenants would at least have their grandkids come over to trick or treat, but it seems that has been construed to mean "soliciting," and the building has a strict "no soliciting" policy. I guess that means that, if I don't want to worry about salesfolks pitching their wares at my door, I have to forgo trick or treaters as well. Oh Well........

Best of luck to you with your chemo, Trekkie...how much longer will you be taking treatments?

Well, I've been hanging out at home, mostly, due to a LOT of rain coming down in the past few days. I'm an L.A. area native, so I'm used to the "rainy season" not arriving until the winter and then only giving us something around 18"-24" for the entire season. It's different up here in the north bay...we've had several rainy days already, including more than 3" of rain on Sunday alone! I need some actual rain gear!

It's beautiful countryside here, though...I've been told that I should get out to the local vineyards, as the grape vines are starting to change color...we never used to get anything in the way of "fall color" down south, and I gather that the grapevines turn some spectacular shades so I guess I need to hit the road.

Your 300 trick-or-treaters sounds good to me, Ann...there are NO kids coming to our apartment building, according to longtime residents: I figured that some of the tenants would at least have their grandkids come over to trick or treat, but it seems that has been construed to mean "soliciting," and the building has a strict "no soliciting" policy. I guess that means that, if I don't want to worry about salesfolks pitching their wares at my door, I have to forgo trick or treaters as well. Oh Well........

Best of luck to you with your chemo, Trekkie...how much longer will you be taking treatments?

The type of chemo is called A.I.M. It has a life time limit to it and I am getting close to it,one or two more cycles. The tumors are shrinking as of last CT.

Hang in there Ed....you will get through everything.

Good luck with the new leg!

Flip

Thanks Flip!

hi everyone,

I have also been really busy of late (work and getting my oldest off to university). I suddenly developed a problem yeserday, the remains of my left leg below the knee was swollen to 2-3 times its normal size, bright red and very hot and painful to touch. I stuck it in a bucket of iced water for an hour and then bandaged it overnight and this morning it is a little swollen and a bit pink but not painful and I can wear my leg again - I have no idea what it was just hope it doesn't happen again. I was dreading not being able to wear my leg as I had meetings with staff this morning and there is a board meeting this evening which I have to be at, could have been interesting!!

Ed, all the best to you with your treatments. You seem to be a warrior so I'm sure you will come through with flying colors. Sorry to here about your Sooner's fall from #1. I grew up a Sooner fan by default because my father was born and raised in Enid, Oklahoma before he moved to California after the dust bowl era.

Hang in there!

Ed, all the best to you with your treatments. You seem to be a warrior so I'm sure you will come through with flying colors. Sorry to here about your Sooner's fall from #1. I grew up a Sooner fan by default because my father was born and raised in Enid, Oklahoma before he moved to California after the dust bowl era.

Hang in there!

Thanks.

I was actually born in Texas then moved to Chicago,Ill then back to Texas and now in Oklahoma. I am a Big Hockey fan in heart though.

Ed