Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lynne

Make your own socket!

I'd love to see the "instructional video," Lynne! It actually doesn't surprise me that someone would try marketing a "do it yourself socket kit," as there are an awful lot of us out there who would like to be able to be more self-sufficient...I've heard of folks who work in far-off locations who have figured out how to do their own prosthesis and socket repairs, for example.

But what concerns me is the fact that the various "terms and restrictions" on the kit are longer than any descriptive information, and the list of "extra" items needed seems to be a ad for Harbor Freight!

If someone does lay out that much money for the "kit," I hope they have some background in prosthetics or a whole lotta help!

No way. If it were that easy we wouldn't have to make so many trips to the legman for fittings. I pity the person who buys this item.

Would love to know if the person selling these is a prosthetist, they certainly know the terminology. Checked the seller info and they also sell other prosthetic components.

If they are they should know it really is not that simple.

I am still in search of a good fitting socket and have been desperate to get one but even I know it would be impossible to cast oneself. If well trained prosthetists can't fit me, thenI don't stand a chance.

what next......do your own amputation.

Hope the uk govement don't get wind of this, they will see it as a way of saving the NHS lots of money! :laugh:

It’s the same old story,

If it’s possible to make some money selling stuff, someone will try.

And dare I be so bold as to even suggest if someone is that unhappy and can’t get a comfy socket and have some skilled hands it might be worth having a go. (Sort of last ditch attempted) after all what have you got to lose ($499.00)

But they do say if you want something if you look hard enough on e bay it will show up sometime.

Sorry to read that your still not sorted Lynne

It’s the same old story,

If it’s possible to make some money selling stuff, someone will try.

And dare I be so bold as to even suggest if someone is that unhappy and can’t get a comfy socket and have some skilled hands it might be worth having a go. (Sort of last ditch attempted) after all what have you got to lose ($499.00)

But they do say if you want something if you look hard enough on e bay it will show up sometime.

Sorry to read that your still not sorted Lynne

Mick,

Even I wouldn't be so stupid, even if I am desperate to be able to walk.

Wouldn't waste £300 plus postage :smile:

Got appointments for fitting of another socket in Dec, can't wait to see if they can get it right.

Lynne

what next......do your own amputation.

Been there, Done that. You dont get the best results by flinging yourself into a guardrail at 60 MPH. Leave it up to the pros.