Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mary Farquhar

When to stop trying.

Mary: depending where it is, it is sometimes possible to create a 'window' to relieve specific pain such as you describe.

Simply, that means cutting a hole in the outer socket, and then 'blowing' the inner socket with a hair-dryer-type apparatus, so that the pain point isn't load-bearing.

There are times when it isn't possible, and around the stitched area is a difficult place, but NOT impossible, as it in fact is NOT totally load bearing there - the weight is carried partly on the sides of the socket, and partly around the base, but it's not like a shoe, where all the weight is on the bottom.

If your prosthetist hasn't tried anything like it yet, ask him/her about it. (I have had a similar point on my stump for ages, at my tibia 'point', and it's been a running problem which we haven't yet completely solved).

Allen, bka, London.

I am a week and a half away from my appointment with my Ortho Dr. Anxiety is starting to build. I am as ready as I am going to be. I think once I have discussed everything with the Dr I will then be able to make my decision. I mean it is kinda made already.

I had an appointment with my prosthetist last week because my prosthesis was making noise. It cracked and that was the problem. I did mention how I still felt the pain on the spot I have. I also said I was seeing the Ortho surgeon. He didn't say anything about something else that could be done.I really don't think there is. I either live my life of being limited, or amputate higher and see if that can help. I constantly feel the spot, but only gets really sore when I am on my feet for a while.

Although my mind is kind of made up..lol, I did start exercising, and eating healthier, preparing for the surgery. I am not a heavy woman, but feel the need to exercise, think it will help?

Thanks for listening!!

Mary

Mary,

Only you will know if/when you are ready to take that step. Eating healthily and exercising is a good thing anyway and it doesn't hurt to be in the best shape you possibly can be going in to any surgery.

Keep us posted.

Sue

Mary, Sue's got it right...you're the one who has to reach the point where you're comfortable making a decision. I'm going to mention something that I've noticed in your posts about making this decision...please understand that it's just an observation, and please feel free to take it, leave it, or do whatever else you want to with it.

I find myself wondering just how assertive you've been in talking to you various "professionals": your prosthetist, your orthopod, physical therapists, etc...... To quote from your last post:

"I did mention how I still felt the pain on the spot I have. I also said I was seeing the Ortho surgeon. He didn't say anything about something else that could be done."

Exactly how did you "mention" these facts? Were you able to say something along the lines of, "You know, I've tried wearing my prosthesis more and more, and that same spot is still painful; is there anything more you can think of to try? I've got another appointment with my orthopedic surgeon, and if this the best that can be done prosthetically, I want to be able to discuss surgical possibilities with him, even if that means going for a higher level of amputation."

Now maybe that's exactly what you said...I don't know. Or maybe you said it in the past and didn't get a clear response then, so you've given up trying. But your own description of the conversation appears to make it sound more like you said something along the lines of, "That spot still hurts," and then you waited for the "professional" to make a decision for you. Granted, in an ideal world that's what would happen...but you've already found out that your "team" is not functioning as a team, that, in fact, they seem to be trying to just "pass the buck" and hope that someone else will be the one to find an answer or make a decision. Given that fact, it's up to you to be the one to press the question, demand an answer, and make your own decision.

I can tell you from personal experience that, if you're trying to be detached from what's going on with your foot, it's not going to help your situation. I went a full year with a completely snapped tendon in my right foot, while doctors kept telling me that "feet take a long time to heal" and just sending me back for x-rays...which do not show soft tissue injuries. It wasn't until I got mad enough to stick my foot in my doctor's face, wiggle it weakly and ineffectively, and say "that's my FULL range of motion after a year, and it's STILL painful, and I'm STILL walking with a cane. If you can't figure it out, please refer me to someone who CAN." And so he did...the orthopod took one look at me and said, "we'll do an MRI to confirm it, but you have a snapped tibial tendon; how the heck are you even walking on that?" If I hadn't pushed the point, I have a feeling I'd STILL be shuffling about with a torn tendon.

Mary, we all really do care about you here, and we wish we could make your decision for you...but you really do need to press both the "professionals" around you and you, yourself, to get to a place where a decision that makes sense can be arrived at. I really, really hope that can happen for you soon.

Cheryl, you make absolute sense....everything you said is true! LOL..you know what, I am not a very assertive person. I know I need to be more firm with these professionals! My prosthetist who is the head guy at this Hangars I go to knows all about my situation. He has worked with me for the last few years. You're right though, I should have said "is there something else that you can do?" We talked about amputating higher so I just took it that he can't do anything more for me. I am going to get in touch with him and discuss it before my Dr's appointment. I haven't even seen the rehab Dr again. I have an appointment in Feb. with them. My Ortho Dr wanted me to go see him. This is the only rehab that is around my area. I hear it is a good place.

You're right, maybe I am detaching myself from my situation? I think I need to step it up, be firm after all it is my health, my life! Thanks so much for your honesty. I appreciate it!

Mary

Cheryl, you make absolute sense....everything you said is true! LOL..you know what, I am not a very assertive person. I know I need to be more firm with these professionals! My prosthetist who is the head guy at this Hangars I go to knows all about my situation. He has worked with me for the last few years. You're right though, I should have said "is there something else that you can do?" We talked about amputating higher so I just took it that he can't do anything more for me. I am going to get in touch with him and discuss it before my Dr's appointment. I haven't even seen the rehab Dr again. I have an appointment in Feb. with them. My Ortho Dr wanted me to go see him. This is the only rehab that is around my area. I hear it is a good place.

You're right, maybe I am detaching myself from my situation? I think I need to step it up, be firm after all it is my health, my life! Thanks so much for your honesty. I appreciate it!

Oh, I just remembered...when I was telling my prosthetist that I was seeing my Ortho Dr soon, he told me to tell him all he tried to do with my prosthesis. So tells me that he doesn't know what else he can do. My prosthetist and Ortho surgeon know each other and do work together. My prosthetist told me he would have his wife, kids or other relatives see this Dr because he has a good side manner and he knows what he is doing.

Mary

Mary, I'm glad you took my remarks the way I intended. It's a good thing if your prosthetist and orthopod have a good working relationship...do try to take advantage of that! And remember...be strong and be determined and be forceful in pressing for the information you need to be able to make a decision. :smile:

Cheryl,

Thanks! I needed someone to wake me up. Hahaa...I appreciate what you wrote. There were 2x's when I went to see my Orthopod and he called my prosthetist during my visit to discuss my situation. I will work on being more assertive so I can get to where I want to be.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

Mary

Two days to go until I see my Orthopedic Dr. My nerves are getting the best of me, and I find myself talking myself out of this appointment. I hope I can control the anxiety at my appointment?! I know it's normal to b e feeling this way, after all it is a huge decision to make.

Just needed to get what I am feeling out, and I know a lot of you understand how I am feeling.

Thanks!

Mary, if you're afraid of your nerves getting the better of you, try writing down all your concerns and questions in advance. If you start to feel overwhelmed, you can always just hand the list to your ortho and ask that he go through and answer them for you.

I hope your appointment goes well.......... :smile:

Mary, if you're afraid of your nerves getting the better of you, try writing down all your concerns and questions in advance. If you start to feel overwhelmed, you can always just hand the list to your ortho and ask that he go through and answer them for you.

I hope your appointment goes well.......... :smile:

Cheryl's right definitely write out the list of your questions and concerns. I nearly always do this now, though sometimes find I never have to use them, as quite often I get the answers to my questions before I ask them, but in case you don't, or your mind goes blank, you have them in your hands ready.

It's always nerve-racking, but try and put your head in a different mode, you need to know what he/she can do (for you) and how he/she will go about it etc., so think about it from the perspective of 'you' interviewing him/her for a job, which is what it is really, if your not happy with anything, then you find someone else.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheryl and Ann.... I have had all my questions written down for a while. I always go blank at my appointments, and my nerves also always get the best of me. I will try hard to not let it affect me because I really need answers to get to where I want to be in my life.

Thanks!

Mary