Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
CaptainKB

Post ERTL AKA Procedure

It is week number five post op and I received my new leg today. I do not feel any phantom pain whatsoever but I have some nerve pain where I had the two neuromas removed. Has anyone that has had neuromas removed experienced pain weeks later?

My leg man stated that it could be a few weeks until I experience relief. My Ortho who performed the procedure gave me a referral for an Anesthesiologist

for possible nerve blocks if needed down the road. He stated that it is very likely that the nerve pain will fade in time.

When I had my original amputation, the trauma doc's were more concerned about saving my life than they were considering my future as a prosthetic owner and my residual was a mess. I know that in the long run, this surgery will turn out to have a huge impact on my quality of life, but right now I am having the "jolts".

Am I just a 6'3", 220 pound wimp, or a typical impatient individual? My primary doc gave me a script for low dose Lyrica, Tramadol and Baclofen yesterday and while this takes the edge off, the nerve "jolts" intensify at night and I can't sleep.

I tried to edit the title to AKA but to no avail.

Thanks for any advice and experiences you may have had with nerves healing after neuroma removal.

CKB

post-2495-128942764963_thumb.jpg

It is week number five post op and I received my new leg today. I do not feel any phantom pain whatsoever but I have some nerve pain where I had the two neuromas removed. Has anyone that has had neuromas removed experienced pain weeks later?

My leg man stated that it could be a few weeks until I experience relief. My Ortho who performed the procedure gave me a referral for an Anesthesiologist

for possible nerve blocks if needed down the road. He stated that it is very likely that the nerve pain will fade in time.

When I had my original amputation, the trauma doc's were more concerned about saving my life than they were considering my future as a prosthetic owner and my residual was a mess. I know that in the long run, this surgery will turn out to have a huge impact on my quality of life, but right now I am having the "jolts".

Am I just a 6'3", 220 pound wimp, or a typical impatient individual? My primary doc gave me a script for low dose Lyrica, Tramadol and Baclofen yesterday and while this takes the edge off, the nerve "jolts" intensify at night and I can't sleep.

Thanks for any advice and experiences you may have had with nerves healing after neuroma removal.

CKB

Sorry to hear of your pain CaptainKB. I had nerve pain after my surgery. It included jolts that would last from a few seconds to a few minutes. As time went by their frequency, duration and intensity lessened.

How is an ERTL AK done? As an AK I am very interested. What type of socket do you have? Are you able to bear weight on the distal end of the femur?

Hope things get better!

Freddy

CKB

I've not had a neuroma removal as such, but did have a revision amputation and like you are finding CKB the nerves did kick in when I first started wearing a prosthesis and walking again, and they were more intensified at night. With mine I actually had to have the first socket remade to give some room in the nerve area, and then it was a lot better ... but did have some nerve jolts for probably about a year before they faded, and now just very occassionally, but are not really a bother.

When you say you had the neuroma removed, I am taking it that it had to be 'cut' at some point (unless it was just buried) and maybe its the cut bit which is just kicking off at the moment, five weeks is probably not that long.

Ann

I edited the topic title for you. Good luck with the pain issue...I never had a "lot" of problems with pain (still don't), but I did have some minor issues in the beginning and took meds for a bit. They actually did fade with time, so I hope that you find the same result!

CKB

Sorry to hear of your pain CaptainKB. I had nerve pain after my surgery. It included jolts that would last from a few seconds to a few minutes. As time went by their frequency, duration and intensity lessened.

How is an ERTL AK done? As an AK I am very interested. What type of socket do you have? Are you able to bear weight on the distal end of the femur?

Hope things get better!

Freddy

Freddy, thanks for the reply! The ERTL is the same in almost everyway except that there is no bone bridge and the femur is packed with my bone milled mixed with epoxy. I have a proprietary (patent pending) electronic double wall socket. I have been instructed to give it another two weeks to bear weight on the distal end. Yesterday I walked between the bars for alignment and toe rollover. I experience a dull aching pain, that of a broken bone. The docs and I obviously do not want to destroy what was corrected during surgery so I will take it slow.

Take care,

CKB

CKB

I've not had a neuroma removal as such, but did have a revision amputation and like you are finding CKB the nerves did kick in when I first started wearing a prosthesis and walking again, and they were more intensified at night. With mine I actually had to have the first socket remade to give some room in the nerve area, and then it was a lot better ... but did have some nerve jolts for probably about a year before they faded, and now just very occassionally, but are not really a bother.

When you say you had the neuroma removed, I am taking it that it had to be 'cut' at some point (unless it was just buried) and maybe its the cut bit which is just kicking off at the moment, five weeks is probably not that long.

Ann

Thanks Ann! I did have the nerves cut so I know I should expect some residual pain. I agree with you that it has been a very short duration of time that has passed since the procedure.

As I stated in my post, I am just a very impatient patient and a bit of a wimp in regards to my pain threshold.

Cheers

Kirk

CKB

I edited the topic title for you. Good luck with the pain issue...I never had a "lot" of problems with pain (still don't), but I did have some minor issues in the beginning and took meds for a bit. They actually did fade with time, so I hope that you find the same result!

Cherylm, thanks for both the title fix and the reply to my post.

Kirk

CBK

Thanks Ann! I did have the nerves cut so I know I should expect some residual pain. I agree with you that it has been a very short duration of time that has passed since the procedure.

As I stated in my post, I am just a very impatient patient and a bit of a wimp in regards to my pain threshold.

Cheers

Kirk

CKB

LOL you are a man CKB ... ha ha ! Seriously though, five weeks isn't that long, and mine was quite low grade until I started physio and had the new prosthesis fitted then really kicked in, and that was prob around 7 weeks in. I suppose the stump has to get used to the pressure again and it is known nerves take a time to settle down again if disturbed. I am not sure if, because you had a revision (as opposed to being a primary amp) your stump is shrunk quite down anyway there is less cushioning for the nerves .. so effects it too. Am sure it will gradually wear off though.

Cheers

Kirk

CKB

LOL you are a man CKB ... ha ha ! Seriously though, five weeks isn't that long, and mine was quite low grade until I started physio and had the new prosthesis fitted then really kicked in, and that was prob around 7 weeks in. I suppose the stump has to get used to the pressure again and it is known nerves take a time to settle down again if disturbed. I am not sure if, because you had a revision (as opposed to being a primary amp) your stump is shrunk quite down anyway there is less cushioning for the nerves .. so effects it too. Am sure it will gradually wear off though.

That's exactly what my wife said. So we are the same in Britain?

CKB

Cheers

Kirk

CKB

That's exactly what my wife said. So we are the same in Britain?

CKB

Most probably are the same. Haha. Listen to what your wife says .... we are usually right !!!! LOL