Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
snuba

Swim Leg

Got my Dr. to write me a prescription for a swim leg, not alot online about them, any one have one and how is it working out for you. Saw one by OTTO Bock, but kind of looked like a wooden leg.

When I went looking for a leg to use in the water, but it works everywhere else, I ended up going with this one.. the Trowbridge Terra-Round foot and I love it.. I use it for showering, in a friends pool all summer, and on land as well.. About a week ago, being in a test socket over the weekend, I developed a rather sore place and instead of swapping sockets out, I just wore this one all weekend until going back to my CPO on Monday..

The only thing that I would say is that unless you are very good at adjusting height, then know ahead of time that it will either work barefoot, or with the shoes you most commonly wear...and if you plan to bounce back and forth, it would need to be a rather low soled shoe.. That is the only downfall I can think of.. I really like this peg.. to me it is comfortable, fast,and works great in the water....for what I want it to do....very light weight as well...

http://ferrier.coupler.com/model_t5.htm

Got my Dr. to write me a prescription for a swim leg, not alot online about them, any one have one and how is it working out for you. Saw one by OTTO Bock, but kind of looked like a wooden leg.

my prosthetist, here in california, custom made my swim leg and insurance paid for it. it is like a shell of a leg. the foot is kind of stiff but works. there are HOLES in the calf so water will drain out. yes, i get looks but i get to go in the water so i cant care too much. i dont "swim," as in doing laps but i just go in pools and ocean, the sleeve gets wet and can slip a bit.

he made me a 2nd swim leg , too. its just an old leg with flexible foot. he took off the skin cover and made a sort of water proof cover, i dont like to wear leg when metal shows

hope this helps

do u have link to the otto swim leg?

I've had my swim leg for about a year and a half now...it's pretty "low-end" (basically my final test socket from my last casting, pin-lock suspension, plain exposed pylon, and a SACH foot), but it works well and I love having it. My insurance did not pay for it...I was on my own for the costs, which is why it's so "low-end!"

This leg has taken me swimming, hot-tubing, and into the shower...it's given me a way to enjoy the water without having to think about "how to get into or out of the water."

My only "complaint" is that the SACH foot is so much less comfortable than the foot on my regular prosthesis. I actually put in a pitch (okay, several pitches) to try the same foot that Higgy is using, but my guys finally convinced me that an actual "foot-style" foot was better for the way I walk. I can use the swim leg to walk around on land, but I'm not fond of doing so if I have to go any distance.

If you can get insurance to pay something toward your swim leg, I'd suggest that you do all you can to get the best water-resistant foot you can. If you can handle walking on a "hoof," Higgy's terra-round seems like a very logical solution to me!

The only maintence that I have to do with my Terra-Round is just spray the lock with silicone and once in a while, where the pylon goes into the bottom.. That's it...

It might seem kinda weird but it really is easy. I spent hours in my friend's above ground pool this summer, which means climbing up and down a ladder to get in...It's easy to travel with as well. Snugs right into a suitcase, or a back pack. At least, mine does, since I'm short....

It all comes down to everyone's own personal choice, AND our insurance companies...Mine was pretty good about all of it.. I can tell you that as feet go, this one was pretty economical.

On the down side, the hubby was disappointed that my peg didn't make the holes for seed in a garden, it just tamps it in..... :wacko: (His words not mine!)

I simply took an old leg and foot. The socket still fit reasonably well with a sleeve. I take it apart after using it in salt water and wash everything down real well. This saw me through snorkling and swimming in the Caribbean last Feb as well as pools and surfing in California this past Aug. Works well, is comfortable to wear and walk and didn't cost me anything.

I simply took an old leg and foot. The socket still fit reasonably well with a sleeve. I take it apart after using it in salt water and wash everything down real well. This saw me through snorkling and swimming in the Caribbean last Feb as well as pools and surfing in California this past Aug. Works well, is comfortable to wear and walk and didn't cost me anything.

Ended up going with the Otto Bock Swim leg, one nice thing about it, it comes apart at the knee, so is easy to pack to take it on vacation. Only bad thing is there is no adjustments, once its made thats it. My leg guy has been very good in the past so I trust he will do ok with this leg.

http://www.ottobock.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ob_us_en/08cat_13.pdf

Just so you are aware I have 4,449 miles swimming since my amputation. I have never used anything but crutches to get to and from the water, whether to a pool, beach, or lake.

Just so you are aware I have 4,449 miles swimming since my amputation. I have never used anything but crutches to get to and from the water, whether to a pool, beach, or lake.

Thats alot of mile's I must say. Have never before used anything, but do miss walking on the beach. We travel quite a bit and think this leg will make it much more enjoyable.