Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
firstborn

I hate cold weather!

For those of you who dont know me. I am not yet an amputee. I think about having the amputation everyday because I have a crushed foot injury that doesn't allow me to do anything.

I hate cold weather because it seems to attack my foot. My question to you is do you have pain 24/7? My daily pain is 24 hours a day.

I am currently in the process of trying to find ways to supplement my income. Since my injury I had to take a lower paying job and it barely pays the bill, because of this I am considering going back to school. My motivation is over come by my pain level which is anywhere from 7 to 10.

I'm right BK. No pain. Just a few zingers and zappers here and there. Good luck to you.

For those of you who dont know me. I am not yet an amputee. I think about having the amputation everyday because I have a crushed foot injury that doesn't allow me to do anything.

I hate cold weather because it seems to attack my foot. My question to you is do you have pain 24/7? My daily pain is 24 hours a day.

I am currently in the process of trying to find ways to supplement my income. Since my injury I had to take a lower paying job and it barely pays the bill, because of this I am considering going back to school. My motivation is over come by my pain level which is anywhere from 7 to 10.

I don't have alot of pain either...just once in awhile {like Marcia}. I WILL say it is more in very cold weather {but I love Winter & Snow} especially @ Christmas.

Very, very little pain for me...mostly just an occasional few minutes at night after I take my leg off, if I've had an unusually active day. Most days I have no pain at all. (And yes, I know that I'm fortunate!)

There are folks who have major problems with phantom pains or nerve pain, but there are also some things you can do in advance of surgery to try and prevent that...and I know many, many more amps who are relatively pain-free than those who have ongoing problems.

If you do decide to look into an amputation as a solution to your foot problem (which is something that I did do), you should try to work with your surgeon and anesthesiologist to make sure that you go into surgery in as pain-free a state as possible, and that you remain pain-free for at least a couple of days following the procedure.

I'm like Marcia, zingers on occasion, but not related to weather. Mine is due more to ill-fitting leg or an unusually hard day.

Like some, a few zingers and zappers and a little pain if the leg is over worked that day, but nothing that is unmanageable with the right medication and rest. By the way, I love the cold weather because my leg doesnt sweat at all like the humid summers of Virginia.

I know we've been here before, and none of us can help you find a pain-free job, but my take on your problem remains as this:

You can have an amputation, end up losing part of your body, and quite probably be pain free. It all needs careful long-term planning, of which one of the most vital parts is ANAESTHETIC planning - you have to go into the operation as absolutely pain-free as possible. Anything else, and your brain will remember the pain, which believe me you Do Not Want.

At present, people can only offer you sympathy and paracetemol. None of us can really offer you help coping with constant pain.

But, and this is important... after an amputation, there are many thousands of us who have most definitely been there, done that, etc., who WILL be able to help you get through all the new problems you will undoubtedly face (no-one skips off into the sunset, I'm afraid).

I really hope this helps you take charge of your problem; for what it's worth, you have my deep sympathy, too.

Allen, bka, London.

I went through roughly the same process. I did not have constant pain but a foot and lower leg that would not function. I had an amputation after trying to avoid it for a year. If nothing can be done to make your current situation better than an amputation may help you. I would try everything medically possible before I took the amputation route. It probably will help improve your life, if nothing else can be done - just remember many insurance companies will fight you on paying for an artificial limb.

I am a very recent RBK amp. I dealt with pain every day for nearly two years now post motorcycle accident. Enough surgeries to make my medical file look like "War and Peace" Truly a novel of epic proportions. I am still early post surgery @ five weeks. I fully hope and expect to see much less discomfort with my bionic leg than was the norm with my old ankle/foot.

It became "time" for me to lose mine as my doctor finally told me she felt I'd be happier and much more capable of an active physical life. I have not walked without a walker for two years and counting so to say I look forward to my prosthesis is putting it lightly.

My insurance is Blue Cross Blue Shield and they are picking up my prosthetic leg minus deductibles and out of pocket costs.

I have pain most of the time, stump pain and phantom pain, use farobloc at night, still don't sleep much.

Put this down to too many operations!

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

clanrickarde, just so you have another point of view, I thought I'd join in. I went through about three years of foot pain (first one foot, then the other). Eventually, my right foot was put through a very successful surgical repair...but my left foot proved unrepairable and eventually developed massive infections. I chose to amputate in 2005, rather than endure any further failed surgeries, and I very quickly found myself basically pain-free.

Lynne and I are kind of like the two ends of the "pain spectrum," and between us we probably provide a realistic picture of what can be possible following an amputation. Some of us truly do continue to have major problems with pain...others are thrilled to find themselves totally without pain...many of us find that we're somewhere "in the middle." There's a lot of "wait and see" involved in the healing process...at five weeks, you are indeed a newbie and you'll have a way to go before things settle down and you get an idea of what your pain experience will be. Like Lynne, I hope that all goes well and works out for you!

Thanks for the information ......Monday the seventeenth I am going at 4:30 PM for my first test socket. I was casted for it yesterday afternoon. I am really looking forward to the entire process.

In the last week I seem to have noticed a slight reduction in overall pain levels in Stanley. Hopefully he will continue to shrink up nicely and my prosthetist thinks I'll be ready for the bells and whistles leg after about two weeks.

I have my choice of a physical therapist pretty much narrowed down and I will make my first appointment next week. I believe you are correct ..I still have

ways to go before Stanley settles in and determines what state he wants to remain in in terms of pain.

The very idea of walking unaided without benefit of a cane just makes my mouth water in anticipation. The last time I walked was Jan 2, 2009. My goal is to become proficient at walking in an agressive manner. Start going back to the gym and by this Summer attend a Dance convention with my wife. My wife and I have always been active in the local West Coast Swing Dance Club. And that brings me to another question. Any dancers out there? If so how does your prosthetic foot work with a dance shoe?