Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mary Farquhar

Are you active with your kind of amputation?

Hi All!

I was just wondering if you all are pretty active with your type of amputation? I am sure most of you know my situation...the darn "spot" I am limited in walking, and other activities...but I am wondering if being limited the way I am worth going through a bk amputation? I don't need pain meds, it is tolerable, when I have my prosthesis on I always feel the spot. Of course the longer I have it on the more I feel that spot, at times it starts to burn, and it swells just a tad. I just don't want to have a bk amputation just to still be limited.

Thanks!

Mary

here is what I would say........ a BK is still an issue that you will still have some limitations! With that said it is also the easiest and most common to overcome and deal with. I know a dozen or so BK amps who are as active as many able bodied people, they will all tell you there are things that they still have to deal with(pain, phantoms, limitations). I think I am active and I'm a BK, I work full time and walk between 6-8 miles each day at work. I come home and play with the kiddos in the yard and do all of the things around the house that a do it yourself home owner is supposed to do.

As a relation to your story : I am an elective amp because of a painful deformed foot that i struggled with for 12 years after an ankle fusion. I am still fairly new(1.5 yrs) but will say that for me amputation was absolutely the best medical decision i have ever made! I hope this helps!

Shoveled snow off a driveway and 235 feet of sidewalk this morning and I feel great !! So, yes I can say Im active. Good Luck.

I do anything I WANT to do. The key word there is want. If I don't want to do something, I blame it on the leg. LOL

I'm very active as a left below knee amputee, constantly looking for new challenges despite my nueroma and phantom limb pain that I am able to work through. I just keep going. Best wishes Mary!!!! smile.gif

My day to day activities haven't changed much since a RBKA August 6/2010. I have had my prosthetic for 2 months and the only thing I can't currently do is run and ride my road bike. Those two issues are related to the leg which will be solved in the new year with a couple of new legs (and some weight loss haha)!

Hi All!

I was just wondering if you all are pretty active with your type of amputation? I am sure most of you know my situation...the darn "spot" I am limited in walking, and other activities...but I am wondering if being limited the way I am worth going through a bk amputation? I don't need pain meds, it is tolerable, when I have my prosthesis on I always feel the spot. Of course the longer I have it on the more I feel that spot, at times it starts to burn, and it swells just a tad. I just don't want to have a bk amputation just to still be limited.

Thanks!

Mary

Mary,

I haven't been on the forum for almost a year due to all kinds of medical problems between me and my husband. I am very active with my BK amputation. I almost never even use a cane (unless by back is giving me a prob lem). I usually don't think about it. I put my leg on in the morning carry a couple extra socks in my purse and go for it. Until my husband became ill we walked the dogs 2 miles a day. I am getting a new foot and suspension system in the next couple of weeks. The foot (can't remember the name) automatially adjusts for ramps,stairs, rough ground and !!!! heel height.I hav e had a pin system since Jan 2006 but my stump is shrinking some and I have been walking out of my liner. I am going with a vacuum system this time.

When I had my amputation the surgeon told me I two decisions to make 1. did I want to live or die and 2. did I want him to cut it off in 2 inch incrementss or cut it off at the best spot. I said I wanted to live and he had one shot at it to get it right. I have b een very satisfied.

JudyH

The foot (can't remember the name) automatially adjusts for ramps,stairs, rough ground and !!!! heel height.I hav e had a pin system since Jan 2006 but my stump is shrinking some and I have been walking out of my liner. I am going with a vacuum system this time.

Judy, the foot sounds like an Echelon and you're going to love that and the vacuum suspension. I think it's about 80% of a real leg.

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I will be seeing the rehab Dr and will see my Ortho Dr at the end of January. Until then I will continue to wear my new prosthetic, and see how the pain level is.

Mary

Hi, I'm an AK and pretty active for my age. Two years since my surgery and all the major wrinkles seem to be ironed out and I'm actually beginging to have a life again. Your decision is yours alone to make, but I think you will find a majority of elective amps happy with their results.

I too use the Eschelon foot. In fact I use it with a C-Leg which is a big "nono" but there is a workaround.

All the best....

The foot (can't remember the name) automatially adjusts for ramps,stairs, rough ground and !!!! heel height.I hav e had a pin system since Jan 2006 but my stump is shrinking some and I have been walking out of my liner. I am going with a vacuum system this time.

Judy, the foot sounds like an Echelon and you're going to love that and the vacuum suspension. I think it's about 80% of a real leg.

I think the name is Profero or something like that - when I talk to my prothetist I'll ask

JudyH

Very active gurl here... motorcycling, bicycling, swimming, skateboarding, snowboarding, shoppoing, photographing, artist gurl.