Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JudyH

Traveling with disabilities

WE will be flying to Las Vewgas in January for a training seminar. We are taking Spirit airlines and I need to find out what we can and cannot take as medical necessities. Does anyone have any info?

JudyH

Can't comment on Spirit airlines but I do fly a lot for work (including US domestic flights) and generally I fly wearing a prosthesis and carrying a pair of crutches and a spare prosthesis in addition to my carry on. Observe any liquid restrictions, a friend was told that he couldn't take the spray lube he needed to put his leg on because it wasn't actually medication and was in a container of more than 125ml. IF you use something similar then get a small spray bottle from a drug store and pack a spare in your checked bags.

The best thing to do is check with your air line as every company has different policies. That said, I've found American airlines (as in the airlines of America rather than the company AA) to be far more understanding and accommodating than Airlines in most other countries.

Relax, you're unlikely to have any problems.

Always use the priority queue at security, it saves time and is one of the few "perks" of being disabled so you may as well take advantage (anyone travelling with you can also use this queue).

Book a wheelchair transfer to collect you from the plane, it can be a long walk from the gate to the baggage hall, especially if you've been sitting down for a few hours and you prosthesis isn't fitting too well. If you don't feel you need it when you land then don't use it but it's better to have it booked just in case.

I've found that you can take just about anything you want or need in your checked baggage. You are only limited in your carry on bags. That is unless you intend to check a bomb or handgun. LOL

You can go to the TSA website to find our more. http://www.tsa.gov/311/

Be prepared for the pat down check at security. It isn't bad, just be patient. They will not make you take your leg off, but will need to test the socket for residue. This just takes some extra time. You will go through security as everyone else. You won't need to take your shoes off. Just let the agent know you have a prosthetic.

Have a good time.

Neal

Judy,

My best advice would be to go to your airline website and check it, and then make sure you go to the TSA website.... if anything, look on the ACA website and follow the links there......

That gives you a world of information about travelling and what to expect and to declare to the TSA agent.... i.e. insulin, syringes, etc, for sure...so they can check it..They even have videos to watch about it all... you are allowed one carry on bag and one if you are carrying a prosthesis with you. But you have to make sure that bag is specifically for your prosthesis.. What I have done, is use a rolling backpack that my water leg will fit into..works great...also, anything that you need with the leg...but if it wrenches, etc, they have to be used for the leg. I have travelled on several airplanes with mine and no problems. Just know that they will search your bag most likely.. I have a pair of travel crutches that will fit in my checked bag, and they always search it with them in there. I think it is because of the looks when they are x-rayed.. so, I learned to put the crutches at the top of the bag....

By all means, take Neal's advive and get a wheelchair to the gate, or to your luggage when you arrive.... Vegas airport is a rather large one, and you may have to change terminals...best to take the easy way, and have an airline person take you.... it makes it easier, in your situation....

Enjoy your time there.... and relax, you survived Minneapolis airport, you will do fine....... :wink: