Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

I have skied quite a few times with my LBK prothesis. Last winter at Keystone , CL. Pretty steep slopes!

I can manage the intermediate slopes without much hassle but occasionally there are extremely steep 'patches' that i just CANNOT ski down . Off come the skis --) off i go marching down the hill. It's extremely infuriating as i just can't manage those sharp turns. Has anyone got any tips for me....Please do as i love skiing......

Thx Kaz

no sking for me either but i can imagine how great it must be

Can you tell by me screen name that I love to ski? I am RBK and ski one legged. I can ski just about anything at Squaw Valley, Ca Including a hill called "Head Wall" Also Heather skis (I met her)

I had the same problem you seem to be having. The problem I had was any time I attempted a paralel turn I'd get instability in my right (amputated) leg. Also I had trouble feeling the snow under my right ski.

I realise this is radical but for me it worked like a charm. I simply got rid of the right ski, leg and all. (This saves a ton of money not only on skis but also on ski tuning. It's also much more comfortable). In fact I'm working twards teaching adaptive skiing.

If you ski in the Tahoe Area contact the Tahoe Adaptive Ski School located at Alpine Medows. 530-581-4161. Hurry they close April 18th

Eric

Hi Mr. Skiier!

Thanks for your advice. I have already answered you in posting 'Skiing, one leg or two'. It must have been quite a radical change going from two legs to one.....No risk, no fun! right?

cheers Karen

But Eric, what does the "one legged" ski cost?....where do you get it? What is maintenence like for it? Get a picture posted of your ski....I am SO curious now.....!

Now that the ski season is over...but it is probably just as well, for me. I need to use the next six months to get MUSCLE back in my legs, so I can hit those slopes in november.....(althougth in utah this year our resorts opened early...so much snow... :)....)

I plan to just plain "get out there" this coming winter....then ski WELL within the next few years.

What did heather say about skiing two legged? Does she have any of the problems you did with two? Is she just more recreational, so doesnt mind those *problems*?....

Just trying to figure it all out!

Judy

utah

LBK