Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Trekkie

BEST WAY TO DRY LINER WITHOUT DRYER

THE DIRECTIONS FOR DRYING THE LINERS SAY TO USE LOW HEAT ,MY DRYER DOES NOT HAVE A LOW HEAT SETTING. THE OTHER WAY IS TO LET DRIP DRY WHICH TAKES 4 DAYS TO DO.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A BETTER WAY TO DRY THEM WITHOUT USING A DRYER?

NEED SUGESTIONS!

ED

News to me. I use 2 liners - an orthodox Alpha liner, plus a silicone distal cup.

I don't soak either, but wash them with a flannel, mild soap and water (facecloth, I think you call them), then wrap them in a towel and gently rub. The whole process (including drying) take about ten to fifteen minutes.

Might be worth asking your prosthetist, who ought to know about such things...

Allen, bka, London.

I have a dryer stand that I made out of PVC. I get in the shower with my liner on. Remove it, wash it with regular body soap, rinse well then place over the stand to dry. It is always dry by the next morning when I switch it out with the one I just wore. You should have two liners. In a pinch, I've washed it in a sink and toweled it dry. As long as you don't get the cloth side wet it should dry very quickly this way. Even when I've been in a pool or ocean, the cloth side dries very quickly also.

I also use wet wipes on occasion. They are a very quick way to clean a liner.

I've heard of people washing them by soaking for hours in a sink filled with soapy water. I've also heard of people washing them in their clothes washer. I would never do either of these. It's far too easy to do it my way.

THE DIRECTIONS FOR DRYING THE LINERS SAY TO USE LOW HEAT ,MY DRYER DOES NOT HAVE A LOW HEAT SETTING. THE OTHER WAY IS TO LET DRIP DRY WHICH TAKES 4 DAYS TO DO.

NEED SUGESTIONS!

ED

Ed,

I use a metal liner drying rack. It is like 2 circles connected by a thin dowel. it almost looks like a hat stand but the liner dries overnight. I found the ad in InMotion magazine. I think it was $20

JudyH

NEED SUGESTIONS!

ED

What kind of liner are you using?

I do kind of the same as Allen, am wearing an Alpha liner also. I just roll it inside out and wash the inside under the tap with soap and water, rinse off, and dry with a paper towel. Turn back to right way and then just put them upside down on the stand that comes with the liner. Its ready for use again almost immediately.

NEED SUGESTIONS!

ED

I do kind of the same as Allen, am wearing an Alpha liner also. I just roll it inside out and wash the inside under the tap with soap and water, rinse off, and dry with a paper towel. Turn back to right way and then just put them upside down on the stand that comes with the liner. Its ready for use again almost immediately.

I use the COMFORTZONE Ultra Cushion Gel Liner by Silipos. It has an inner gel sanwiched between the inner and outer layer of cloth it is 5 ply. The directions say to wash inside and out. It takes almost three days to air dry because I can not put them in the dryer.

Does anyone have an idea how to make a heated dryiing rack???

NEED SUGESTIONS!

ED

Ed,

I use a metal liner drying rack. It is like 2 circles connected by a thin dowel. it almost looks like a hat stand but the liner dries overnight. I found the ad in InMotion magazine. I think it was $20

JudyH

Do you have a website for the drying rack??

I have a dryer stand that I made out of PVC. I get in the shower with my liner on. Remove it, wash it with regular body soap, rinse well then place over the stand to dry. It is always dry by the next morning when I switch it out with the one I just wore. You should have two liners. In a pinch, I've washed it in a sink and toweled it dry. As long as you don't get the cloth side wet it should dry very quickly this way. Even when I've been in a pool or ocean, the cloth side dries very quickly also.

I've heard of people washing them by soaking for hours in a sink filled with soapy water. I've also heard of people washing them in their clothes washer. I would never do either of these. It's far too easy to do it my way.

Neal, I have to wash these liners inside and out.

Does the PVC you use the perferated type( with holes in it)? Does it have any type of heat under it? I have a total of six liners and will be getting two more.

NEED SUGESTIONS!

ED

I use the COMFORTZONE Ultra Cushion Gel Liner by Silipos. It has an inner gel sanwiched between the inner and outer layer of cloth it is 5 ply. The directions say to wash inside and out. It takes almost three days to air dry because I can not put them in the dryer.

Does anyone have an idea how to make a heated dryiing rack???

I used to wear this type Ed., I used to have two or three on the go and did wash them inside and out as you describe, used to dry them either on the washing line or on a regular airer. Just read you have six of these Ed., so imagine if you wash them daily shouldn't have too many problems.

Neal, I have to wash these liners inside and out.

Does the PVC you use the perferated type( with holes in it)? Does it have any type of heat under it? I have a total of six liners and will be getting two more.

No holes Ed. Just a PVC pole with a cap on top.

I'm thinking like Ann. With six liners, you should be able to wash them daily and still have a nice dry one for use. I still can't imagine why it should take so long for one to dry.