Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mary Farquhar

Could it be possible?

Hi All,

Just wondering if it could be possible to have a bk amputation and in 7-8 months start a course? I am not sure how long it would take to get back walking and be healed enough to get myself into a program. I know everyone heals and are at didn't levels at different times. Would like to know if it could be possible? I will be discussing it all with the Dr at the end of January.

Mary

Hello Mary,

before my revision to LAK I had a LBK amp with a 12 cm stump.My surgery was on 19th january and I received my leg in the first week of april.I walked during 4 days with one stick and from there on without stick and without any problem.At the end of may I walked 4 kilometers without problem on the stump or pros i.e. 2,5 months after amp i got the leg and 4,5 months after amp I walked that distance,using the leg from 7 am to 10 pm daily and doing all work around the house like mawing the lawn,keeping the swimming pool clean,driving my car .....Considering that everybody is different and no amputation is the same,that physical condition,spirit of life with a strong will to overcome obstacles and acceptance of some limits,I think that walking perfectly and initiate a course after 7-8 months pos-amputation is a goal that might be easily achieved.As you are already amputated,you are acquainted to certain problems as well as to a prosthesis and I think that the diference from a Chopart to a bk isn't so big.Think that you are walking on a very high heel on one side,that's more or less like that.You'll benefit more from a bk than trying to solve your problem without a definite solution for months and months or even years,loosing the quality of your life and precious years of your life.That is my very personal opinion,but the decision can only be Y O U R S !!!!!!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year with a final solution in tranquility and peace in 2011.

Joachim

LAK+LAE

I think it is very possible. I had my amputation on June 20th, received a prosthesis at the end of August and went back to full time school in mid September. Bearing in mind that our school was two schools that had amalgamated with a long (1/4mile) road joining the buildings and that we had PE three times a week it wasn't easy but I coped just fine.

It is very possible. Only you can make that happen.

My accident was March 8, my amputation was April 5. I went back to work May 11, started walking May 20. I only used crutches with the leg for two days. It did take the better part of six months to feel 'normal' again. I didn't have a lot of stamina for those six months. I was told it was all the sitting as well as anesthesia from three surgeries in 30 days.

It will be up to you to get yourself back into shape as soon as possible. You can actually start before the amputation by keeping fit and as active as possible.

Walking as a bk amputee is fairly easy. Your brain still thinks a foot is down there so you just have to get used to the feeling of the socket. It is a bit annoying to keep up with the volume changes. It takes time to perfect your walking from level ground to ramps, stairs, uneven terrain, etc.

Overall, you just start doing what you want to do, slowly at first, perfecting your new way of doing things.

Thanks for the replies! From all your stories, it looks like I could do it! I would like to take a dental assisting course in September/October 2011....but it looks like I might need to have surgery first. Will know more at the end of January.

Neal.....I am already someone who has enjoyed working out over the years. I had to stop for a while because of my pain, but I have been trying to get back into exercising again. I know the exercising helped when I had my first amputation.

Thanks for sharing your stories!

Thanks for the replies! From all your stories, it looks like I could do it! I would like to take a dental assisting course in September/October 2011....but it looks like I might need to have surgery first. Will know more at the end of January.

Neal.....I am already someone who has enjoyed working out over the years. I had to stop for a while because of my pain, but I have been trying to get back into exercising again. I know the exercising helped when I had my first amputation.

Thanks for sharing your stories!

I think it would more than likely be possible Mary, especially with elected surgery, although imagine being a dental assistant means you will be doing a fair bit of standing. However, think you are still looking for absolute certainties, which nobody can really give you. Everything depends on the success of the surgery, the rehab, the fit of the prosthesis, etc. etc. as, I think Neal mentioned, you will need to keep up with the volume changes during the first year or so, and so still be going back and forth to the prosthetist, probably on a fairly regular basis. After my revision amp I have actually found my second year more frustrating and have done less walking than my first year ... because of problems with socket fit, so no one can ever really give you absolute certainties.

Like Neal says, start your exercising regime now, you should be able to get pre-op exercises from you rehab centre or prosthetist(there are specific exercises for different levels of amputations), which will stand you in good stead, also you have a chance to get things in place at home to help you keep independent during your first few months.

I hope it all works out ok for you and wish you a happy christmas and good 2011.