Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Joachim

Body Mass Index- how to calculate for an amputee

In various situations I found myself confronted with the solicitation of my BMI (Body Mass Index).Due to the continuing existing height I have as an amputee a significant reduced weight.How does one calculate the real BMI?

Joachim

LAK+LAE

BMI is a completely irrelevant calculation, it doesn't take into account muscle mass, bone structure or, as you've found, missing/extra limbs. I know marines that don't appear to have an ounce of fat on them yet they are told they are obese because they weigh too much thanks to all the muscle they have.

Unless it's a doctor asking you then I'd just make a guess based on your body shape (if you've got a few extra pounds put yourself in the slightly overweight area, if you're skinny then go for a little under weight) however if it's a doctor asking then let them work it out, it's their job.

Don't bother listening to people that tell to a prosthesis weighs about the same as a real leg, that is rubbish since every prosthesis is individual and their weight depends on far too many factors such as size, components, suspension method, cosmesis etc.

If you want to know your BMI as part of a fitness program then you're much better off keeping a record of your abilities and setting reasonable goals. For example walk for 10 mins on a treadmill and see how far you've walked then next time try to walk a little further or walk for a mile as quick as you can then next time try to do it quicker. This will give you a much better idea of your general fitness.

I found this BMI calculator a few years ago, Joachim.

Even though you can adjust it for amputees, you do need to use it as just one of your healthy weight guides. And, you need to remember to enter you weight without your prostheses. :rolleyes:

I'm around 10 stone (with legs), but I know I need to lose a little bit more weight (you can tell, can't you?). However, my GP thinks I'm a healthy weight and said he wouldn't be happy if I went below 9 stone 7 (with legs).

We (as a family) weigh ourselves each week using the wii fit for which I need to wear my leg as it also calculates centre of balance and won't work if you are standing on one leg. Although it then calculates my body mass with leg I am not concerned with the actual number it gives although it correctly states I am overweight (although not obese yet) - I track the change from week to week as no matter what the error is it is going to be the same every time. According to body mass our family get some weird results but it is because some are just fat (me) and some are very skinny but solid muscle (DH).

We (as a family) weigh ourselves each week using the wii fit for which I need to wear my leg as it also calculates centre of balance and won't work if you are standing on one leg. Although it then calculates my body mass with leg I am not concerned with the actual number it gives although it correctly states I am overweight (although not obese yet) - I track the change from week to week as no matter what the error is it is going to be the same every time. According to body mass our family get some weird results but it is because some are just fat (me) and some are very skinny but solid muscle (DH).

I use the Wii fit too, but like you find its not that accurate when it comes to the legs, though is good as a rough guide for keeping track. I have found that depending on the position I stand on the balance board, I can get a different weight and a different BMI calculation .... sometimes during the exercises it tells me I have suddenly changed weight, not sure if this happens to others, maybe its because I am bilateral, but think a lot depends on the way I stand and how I shift my weight distribution.