Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jane K

Stationary exercise equipment usage hints

12/30/2010

Hi Everyone:

As a fairly new right disarticulation amputee and I would appreciate some pointers on using stationary exercise equipment.

Can other AK's use elliptical machines? Successfully? This was my favorite indoor torture devise before my surgery but I haven't figured out how to use it with my new leg. My physical therapist has been great on helping my rebuild strength etc but I'm her first AK amputee.

I've also had difficulties with both stationary bikes, standard or recumbent, in that I can't complete a pedal without the back of the knee hydraulic frame hitting my socket. I think this problem is due to my being short (5' 1') and the bulky workings of the Endolite KX06 knee but any other thoughts would be great.

Thanks all & a happy new year too!

Jane

Afraid that, as a BK, I'm not going to be any help to you...but hope that you can get some suggestions. I do know of some AKs who cycle, so it seems like it ought to be possible.

Good luck! :smile:

One thing that might help is:

http://www.kneesaver.net/

(This assumes you've got your own exercise bike (stationary bike) at home somewhere).

They're pedal extenders which move the pedals out by up to 30mm, which move your feet and thus knees away from the frame of the machine.

I use them for road cycling - if you're buying them from that site, make sure you choose the correct type for exercise bike.

Allen.

(This assumes you've got your own exercise bike (stationary bike) at home somewhere).

They're pedal extenders which move the pedals out by up to 30mm, which move your feet and thus knees away from the frame of the machine.

I use them for road cycling - if you're buying them from that site, make sure you choose the correct type for exercise bike.

Allen.

Allen.

1/1/2011

Hi Allen:

Thanks for the link. I looked it over and while their product is a great idea I don't think their equipment will help me. However it makes me think their must be a means to rig up or see if someone has created a pedal extended that will put the pedals further away from me to avoid the knee component hitting the socket.

A friend (who is 4'7") had to have a pedal extender installed in her car so she could reach the pedals. Maybe someone has already found or created the equipment. Time to get on the net again.

Thanks again,

Jane

Hi Jane,

Am I right in thinking that as an above knee amp you need something that stops your knee component hitting the back of your socket when your knee is fully bent?

I am sure there is something out there.

I found this if it is any help. Just googles amputee above knee cycling.

Amputee cycling

Here is a quote that may be of interest to you.

The seat height is very important when riding a bicycle. When I first began riding again, I noticed that every time the pedal on the prosthesis side was at its highest point, the knee was bent to its maximum angle. I then raised the seat up so that when the pedal on the prosthesis side is at its highest point, the knee is not bent at its maximum angle, making it more comfortable and easier to ride.

Hope you find a way around the issue although it may have something tondo with the design of the Kx06, may not be a way around it.

Best wishes...Lynne