Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
clint

Who gos Fishin?

Hi

I have just got through taking my boat out by myself sence I am a amputee. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Wasn't sure if I could use my foot controlled trolling motor or not. It wasn't a large problem. The larger waves kinda took me a little but no spills. Getting the boat off and on the trailer by myself was the only thing I had to stop and say to myself , how am I going to do this now. I didn't cautch any fish but had a good time. I was fishing for bass. It is really just getting started here in Kentucky. Do any of you fish? I usually only where a life jacket when I am running the outboard but I decided to keep it on the entire trip becouse I aint swam with a prostetic leg!

Well See ya!

Good luck at what ever hobbie , craft or,sport you do !

Clint

Clint,

This topic is right up my alley...... I am the fisherman of this family my husband just goes along for the ride... Actually he drives the boat and I fish (I do get to drive sometimes though). I love to fish in salt water and do a lot of fishing for trout and redfish. I have caught a few keeper fish but not to many and I'm really looking forward to getting out there this year. To tell you how much I love to fish one day we were out fishing and came upon a school of lady fish with trout under them and I fished the spot for 2 hrs as every time I would cast I caught either a trout or lady fish. What a day I had.......

Give me a rod and reel the bow of the boat and leave me alone...... I'm good for the day oh I forgot and a bud lite... LOL

Brenda

when I was young my parents would take us fishing on the river. I would fish for a while and then I would splash in the water scaring the fish but would be entertaining to everyone there. I try to take my boys fishing at the lake at a park near our house. They fish for a while, then want to feed the ducks, then want to play on the play ground, etc.

Hopefully I will be up and ready and take them next summer.

Tonya

i do not mind the fishing bit and went alot with my first boyfriend many years ago it is the gutting of them that puts me off.anyway enjoy your fishing this year i will be the one splashing about in the water scaring them off.roll on the summer.

Hi I did enjoy fishing, only now I think, in Sebago Lake, where we have our boat, the fish are all gone. :D So I just can't sit there for hours and catch nothing, I'd rather go swimming. Oh, I did catch a Small Mouth Bass quite a few years back, it musta been the last fish in the lake. :lol: Well, that is, I hooked onto it and my husband realed it into the boat. I was just so excited, he thought I was gonna jump right out of the boat. Which that he didn't mind, but didn't wanna lose the fish!! :lol: A couple more months and the boat will be back in the water, can't wait cause it's so relaxing.

Sheila-

Maine

Keep Smiling :)

HI

I have been doing pretty good with a couple of days of warm weather. The fish are starting to get more active. I have been jugging for catfish and had a fish fry last weekend ( thats some good stuff!). I have been walking in the woods pretty much every day. That trys your balence. I am so stirr crazzy. I am actually ready to go back to work but waiting on the doctor to release me. I don't know what hoop I will have to jump through to get a job now but there will be some thing for me. You all have fun doing what you do! Its fishing for me.

See ya

Clint

Hi Clint

I live on the Atlantic coast, in Cornwall, UK.

I used to go boat and shore fishing several times a week before I lost my leg. However, I was checking my gear at the weekend to get ready to go again. The only thing I will have probs with is shore casting. I use a 12ft rod and cast to about 200ft. I envisage falling over with the momentum, but will practice in the garden at home first. Depending on the time of year, anything that comes along ie Bass, Plaice, Dab, Mackeral, Dog fish, Whiting etc. Which makes it interesting as to what bait, rig etc to use.

Funny thing is, I don't mind if I don't catch anything; just being there watching the sea, sunsets, dolphins, gannets and whatever else nature 'shows' still gives me a buzz.

Best regards

Steve

Hi

I have never surf fished. It sure sounds like fun. Here where I live there are just a hand full of differnt fish you usually catch ( bass,blue gill, crappie, catfish ). I think it would be neat to catch a veriety of fish and not know whats on the other end of the line untill you land it. I understand what you mean about you don't mind if you dont catch a fish. Seeing a bald eagal,seeing the fog rise off the water in the morning and the rest of the wonders of the out doors is exciting. I hope you have a great time when you get to go fishing. When I am out in the boat fishing I don't think about my leg ( or try not to ) and that is a nice thing some times.

See ya

Clint

Well, not to bring everybody down, but I got a new canoe for Christmas 3 yrs ago. Live near a couple lakes, but never had the time to use it. Changed jobs and had even less time. Then my accident and now can't even imagine trying to use it right now. It still sits outside under a tarp. Hopefully will get some time to use it once I get back walking better. Will have to be very carefull with the c-legs as they don't like water. But, anyhow I do like to fish. Catch mostly catfish here and maybe a few bass. I did go down to Florida and went out on a boat and did do some bottom fishing. Being in a wheelchair on a boat was an adventure! Thank goodness for tip wheels! Good luck fishing, so glad to hear you were able to get out again and even manage the boat yourself.

Hi Byeteme 12

'can't even imagine trying to use it right now'

Perhaps not now, but later.

In fact I couldn't imagine what I would be doing after the amp. I didn't have a clue as to what being an amp entailed. Didn't think I would be able to do anything. Now I'm always up to something :D

I never imagined I would go abroad or even to London (350 miles away)when I first had my amp. Since then I've been to London 4 times, Amsterdam 2x, Spain x1 and am going to Spain at the end of April.

As regards boat fishing, that is the only thing I'm wary about at the moment.The sea can be very rough. I went out once and the sea state was 1-2, 3 hours later and 8 miles off shore it turned to a 5-6. the boat was about 36 foot long, open with a small wheelhouse.

There were several 'hughies' by then. (Hughies, peeps barfing over the side making the 'hughie' noise whilst doing so) So I'm concerned about balance, but when the time is right I'll go again.

Best as always

Steve

Hi Byeteme 12

'can't even imagine trying to use it right now'

Perhaps not now, but later.

In fact I couldn't imagine what I would be doing after the amp. I didn't have a clue as to what being an amp entailed. Didn't think I would be able to do anything. Now I'm always up to something :D

I never imagined I would go abroad or even to London (350 miles away)when I first had my amp. Since then I've been to London 4 times, Amsterdam 2x, Spain x1 and am going to Spain at the end of April.

As regards boat fishing, that is the only thing I'm wary about at the moment.The sea can be very rough. I went out once and the sea state was 1-2, 3 hours later and 8 miles off shore it turned to a 5-6. the boat was about 36 foot long, open with a small wheelhouse.

There were several 'hughies' by then. (Hughies, peeps barfing over the side making the 'hughie' noise whilst doing so) So I'm concerned about balance, but when the time is right I'll go again.

Best as always

Steve

You guys all sound great and love to fish like I do,I'm a double AK amp and fish all the time deep sea shark fishing and tuna striped bass fluke and flounder.I run a 28' Black fin and fish in Montauk NY the east coast fishing capital of the world.

thanks for all your notes.........John

I used to love fishing.....haven't been out for a long time though.

I remember a guy saying once....

"There's a fine line between fishing, and standing on the shore looking like an idiot"

Think I'm somewhere in the middle there lol :rolleyes:

I always felt guilty putting the worms on the hook. :blink:

Cat

HI Everyone: Lynne from Calgary, Canada. (I know there is more than one Lynne here) I love fishing. I went 12 hours north of Calgary to go to a fishing lodge. Fishing for Trout in one area and Pike in another. I caught this beautiful 17 1/2 pound pike. :D Got it in the boat and what you have to do with Pike is "liturally knock them out" with a stick. Well I hit this Pike and he didn't go down, but he did clamp himself onto my FOOT!! :lol: It was my artificial leg so he didn't get anything very tasty :lol: Ruined my foot, but he was good eating later right on the shore! I'm going ice fishing in a Derby in February, First prize is $50,000. Can't wait!!!

I love to go fishing. Haven't been in a long time. Am looking forward to doing some in the (hopefully) near future. There are a couple of barrier islands off the coast of where I live, about 12 miles out, and we love to take the boat and fish and/or spend the day. I'm hoping to get a swim leg and get back out there this summer. I have promised myself I'm not going to be self-conscious about how I look. It is what it is. Does anyone have any experience with swim legs? I just need to be able to get on and off the boat and maybe be able to walk in the sand. Of course, I'll want to get in the water too. Never satisfied!

Brenda -- Bud Light is a necessity when doing any of the above. My husband works for the local Budweiser distributor!

Fishing is so relaxing. I like to fish but my husband really likes to fish. Today is the first day of trout season...but the lakes are still frozen.

What kind of fish do you like to catch?

First tried fishing when I was 9, came home untangled myself from several hundred feet of line. Tried a drop net for prawns, fell in the sea, couldn't swim chap tried to pull me out ... I pulled him in. Went home in my underpants, dripping wet and freezing cold.

Time passed, went to Oz last year and had a try again. Success at last, managed to catch a half decent flathead. It was ugly as hell but tasted pretty good.

I might try again this year and see whether Australian fish are more gullible or whether I really can do it now. I'll stick to the harbour wall though (where they filmed Meryl Streep in The French Lieutenants Woman).

I've been fishing a few times since the amp. I live about 3 minutes walking from the beach and take the kayak out, along with rod and reel. Nearly caught this little fish, didn't get a good look at it.

I'm thinking about getting my kayak back down from the attic (it's home during the winter). I usually wait till the weather looks decent. It took me the better part of a hour getting it up there and will need to keep it in the living room after I take it down. What I wouldn't give for a proper shed!

Steve

post-8-1112470254.jpg

Hi Clint:

I went fishing for the first time in forty years last spring / went in my country chair / didn't have a nibble / was good though / people didn't stare.

This year, I hope to get out in legs / normal beach chair and six pack.

ED