Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
alfieatk

Can I fly after amputation?

Hi everyone,

I have been on this site a few times over the years but I have recently taken the decision to have an elective right BK amp. I will prob be in 8 weeks time but now I have made the decsion I want it sooner rather than waiting that long. I have been stuggeling with my ankle fusion for 6 years and the pain is too much.

Anyway I want to set some goals and things to look forward too after the operation and during rehab. I am thinking ahead to the summer and wondering if medically I won't be able to go on a plane for a certain period of time because of the risk of blood clot in the leg. Does anyone know if there is a recommended period of time you should leave it between having the operation and going on a flight? Will ask my dr next time I see him but that may not be for a while.

Ive just realised the Topic Title is a little misleading unless they put some wings on while taking half my leg off.

Thanks,

Alfie

Don't worry about it Alfie........

My best advice would be to check with your surgeon about flying and how soon after your amputation that you could do it without risking blood clots...

Good luck with your surgery and if you have questions, please feel free to ask...