Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo

Weight - with or without leg?

This is probably is silly question but just the other day I realized, that my friend, who is an amputee, has lost weight and she told me how much she weighed now. On my way home from her place I realized that the figure seemed pretty light since she is almost my height (5ft. 10in) and not really skinny, either. So tell me: if you specify your weight, is it without or with the artificial limbs? Of course it is a matter of the material the leg is made of, but I can imagine that it is lighter than an actual leg, or???

Enlighten me..

Regards,

Gizmo

I weigh myself with my prosthesis on. My leg weight is about 2 to 3 lbs.

Brenda

P.S I'm not telling my weight.... :-)

Both of mine together weigh about 15 lbs. Giz, it can be somewhat difficult in some cases to weigh with out them. I've been told that the weight is fairly close the actual limb or limbs.

Kep

I give my weight including the leg, it's an advantage I don't like to speak about, as most people wouldn't think about it. I think as a rule of thumb, a living (AK) limb is about 14lb on average and a prosthesis is less than half that....ish

Kep,

You can guess if you like.... but I am not sure I'll tell.... LOL

I have 5 more lbs to loose 10 would be better.... :-)

Brenda

I'm a BBk & my set weighs approximately 10lbs. So when asked my weight I take off the 10lbs. What sane woman wouldn't!?! ;)

Linda

Hi, while at the Dr's, the nurse weighed me in and I said, to take off 8lbs for the x-tra weight. She says, yea but isn't that what your normal leg would weigh anyways? I said no, cause I didn't have a corsett and braces added to my normal lower limb. Besides, when a doctor puts you on medication, I believe they go by your actual body weight, not anything thats been added on and doesn't consume any of the dosage. At least that's how I see it, plus I like being able to lose 8lbs so easily every night. ;)

Sheila

Keep Smiling :)

I havent been on the forum for several days and see I have missed some pretty enlightening topics! :) It was funny to me that this one was up....just yesterday I weighed myself for the first time since my surgery, two months ago, just curious. I decided to weigh with my leg on (bk, but a temp, which is heavier than a permanant) then slip it off and weigh just the leg, and subtract. (my digital scale does not like to recognize a foot on only one side, and will not register if you stand in the middle!) I weighed myself, then stepped back, clicked off my leg, and went to put it on the scale, without THINKING tried to step down on the missing foot! I have become SO used to having two feet again that it was natural to put that foot down! Unfortunately I had my liner on, with the PIN, which didnt hit square on the floor, but enough to be sore the rest of the day! I didnt like the pain, but DID like that I feel that natural with TWO legs already.

By the way..my leg itself weighed just over 4 pounds.

Funny to me this posting came up the day I tried this for the first time....

Judy

I always weigh myself with my leg on, but if its for medical reasons like calculating anaesethic then I give my body weight without the leg.

Ok. Finally bought a scale and sat on it to weigh myself. 138lbs. Weighed myself at rehab. with my legs on, 158lbs. 10lbs. a leg. What I weighed before my accident 158 lbs. Funny how some things don't change even after such a episode. Although I've had to watch my diet since I'm a little less active.

You know when you get your leg made your prosthetist will ask your weight. Well there is a reason for this the foot you get is made for your weight. That's why your prosthetist likes for you to watch your weight and not gain to much. Each foot has a weight limit.

Brenda

Central Florida

You know when you get your leg made your prosthetist will ask your weight. Well there is a reason for this the foot you get is made for your weight. That's why your prosthetist likes for you to watch your weight and not gain to much. Each foot has a weight limit.

Brenda

Central Florida

Not just feet, but all limb components have max. weight limits, these limits are commonly 80kg, 100kg or 120kg. These are only limits, and are considered only on that basis, the main reason for chosing a particular component is function and/or cost. The main reason for keeping your weight stable is socket fit, so though your weight is required to be known to ensure you are within the limits of the components max. weight, it's unlikely you could gain enough weight to take you over that limit without your socket becoming unwearable first.