Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
gazza99

stump tip swelling

hi all it being a while; just to fill you in i had a revision 4 months ago then got mrsa all being clear for a while now and i'm all healed up but the last day or two the tip of the stump is getting very red and swolen plus some pain,i,ve not be wearing the leg since i had the revision. i ve no idea what's going on????

hi all it being a while; just to fill you in i had a revision 4 months ago then got mrsa all being clear for a while now and i'm all healed up but the last day or two the tip of the stump is getting very red and swolen plus some pain,i,ve not be wearing the leg since i had the revision. i ve no idea what's going on????

If you've not been wearing the leg since the revision, is there a possibility thats its been knocked or rubbed on something? I think I'd be inclined to go back and get it checked out Gazza.

i've not being wear the leg as there was more of the bone taken off, and it took quite a time to heal due to the mrsa, it's odd as some part of the day its not to red and other well it's more like a wiskey nose,and it doesn't look like a bruse. I'm back to my leg man this week so it will be nice to see what he think. as to me it does not feel right or look right.

Call the dr. Make sure the mrsa hasn't come back.

I'll throw in with Marcia...make certain that the MRSA isn't back and "incubating" in your stump...that is NASTY stuff! Then see what your leg guy has to say on the prosthesis front. If there was enough change after the revision, you may just have a small fit issue.......

Sounds to me like you're not making contact with the socket. The pain comes a little later than the event, but can cause great swelling, pain and bruising. I went through that when I was getting back into my leg after 8 weeks off. Your stump has to make contact with the bottom of the socket. That doesn't mean that you're bearing weight on the end of your stump, but it should make contact. If they took more bone and shortened your stump, you won't be able to wear your old socket without filling the void between the stump and the bottom of the socket. If the void isn't great, try anything from tissue paper, paper towel, or cleaners bag to soft foam to fill the void. keep adding more until you can feel or, in the case of a paper product, see that you are making contact with the socket.

If proper contact isn't made your body will try to fill the void itself, hence the swelling.

Sounds to me like you're not making contact with the socket. The pain comes a little later than the event, but can cause great swelling, pain and bruising. I went through that when I was getting back into my leg after 8 weeks off. Your stump has to make contact with the bottom of the socket. That doesn't mean that you're bearing weight on the end of your stump, but it should make contact. If they took more bone and shortened your stump, you won't be able to wear your old socket without filling the void between the stump and the bottom of the socket. If the void isn't great, try anything from tissue paper, paper towel, or cleaners bag to soft foam to fill the void. keep adding more until you can feel or, in the case of a paper product, see that you are making contact with the socket.

If proper contact isn't made your body will try to fill the void itself, hence the swelling.

Not sure if I am reading correctly, but I don't think he is wearing his prosthesis yet, Neal.

[

Not sure if I am reading correctly, but I don't think he is wearing his prosthesis yet, Neal.

Correct I'm not wearing the leg yet as i know the stump shape is different and I'll need a new socket, plus the difference in lenght,

I think it's some kind of infection I'll be at the Dr. soon and I'll keep you all posted. I'm just affaird it's the MRSA back

just to let you's all know it was the MRSA back in the leg and as a result i had to get part of the tibia removed that was done last month :-(

Sorry to hear that...MRSA is such a nasty thing! I hope they really got it this time...I know that once I got rid of mine, recovery (and LIFE) was much easier!

Here's to quick and easy healing for you............ :smile: