Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainKB

Need your advice on backup leg

Hello, I currently rely on a C-Leg as my walking leg which I have few complaints about with the exception of when it needs service that is. I am often without a leg for a brief period of time. Many times my legman has a c-leg for me to use as a loaner, but in this case recently he did not. I had to postpone a business trip which as you can imagine was costly, wasteful and did not put me in a good spot with my customer, or my superiors.

My questions are these:

1. If you were in my place would you go ahead and pay for a MAUCH knee out of pocket to always have as a backup. Going through my insurance may be easy but I am up for another leg soon around the corner and would much rather have them cover the cost of a computer assisted model.

2. Have any of you been in this position before, I mean where you travel for business and have had issues with only having one leg and have had to miss work because of your leg being down. Have you talked this out with insurance reps?

3. Should I flat out call my insurance company and let them know that I need the same knee as I have now as a backup. Being without a knee has happened now four times since 2-28-2009.

I found out that my leg guy would charge me his cost of $2,750 for the MAUCH knee which I though was particularly low.

It's quite rediculous and I am embarrassed since I have a ski knee but no back up to my walking knee. It's time to get my priorities straight. I just had a revision surgery done and am looking at this thing long term, just looking for advice from some of you who have been there and done that.

Thanks for your time.

Hi! So glad you are doing so well...being without a prosthetic is not good. I'm bilateral below knee, so chances are something can go wrong at any given point :) I now have the elevated vacuum system, but I have kept my former pin legs, which are almost impossible to walk in after getting used to the vacuum system, but I thought I should keep them. Since I like to work outside in the summer during the evening and on weekends, and that's hard on the sleeves that you wear with the vacuum system, I am having another pair of legs made just for working outside. The timing of yours was lousy for work I know. My leg guy has driven prosthetics to the airport and flown them to people in a pinch when he needed to and I know you also have a good prosthetist too if you still have the same one. I know your being A/K is a whole different story than me being b/k...how long before it is time for you to get a new leg? Can you wait until then?

Sometimes it feels like just when you start to get used to things, something hits fan...so to speak...late summer/early fall I am supposed to go to Vegas for a month to work our National Convention for my job. I'm going to have to make sure that everything is in really good order before I head out on that little trip for work for sure...or just put my leg guy on alert! Let me know how you are doing..I'm hoping it's not too long before it's time for your new leg..that way you would have two

Yeah, nobody to blame but my self. just makes me sick to see a ski leg in my closet and only having one walking leg ....just not real smart. I have a back-up Cleg now and will have mine back next week. I think I'm going to pay for a Mauch and then have insurance go with a Freedom Plie 2.0 in a few months. At least I will have an elevated Cleg and an elevated back up in the next couple weeks.

Thanks

I am bilateral, so double the chance of something going wrong, so always like to have a spare pair, even if they have been sitting in the cupboard for weeks and really uncomfortable when you first put them on. Am in the UK so things are, I know, arranged differently over here, but nowadays, with modular prosthetics, its getting normal for many people not to be given a spare, whereas years ago the legs were made differently and you always kept your previously made leg/s as back-ups, which I still try and make sure I do.

Being an bk, I'm not real familiar with knees, but I can say this.. I have a friend who is an ak and they wear the Plie knee and is quite satisfied with it. Being a bk, I have several different back up's in one form or another. Well, actually, they are not all back up's they are just modified for different things. I have one for riding horses, the water, (my peg) I always take one with me... One thing I want to bring to mind for you.... I have attended traveling seminars at conferences for amputees, and they tell you that you should never check a bag with a prosthesis in it, that it should be in your carry on.... I most always stick mine in a carry on,( I found a back pack that has an extending handle and wheels,it works well for me) however, I have put it in a checked bag once... With the way luggage handling is, I guess it is a chance we have to take. Another friend of mine always puts a leg in checked luggage... So, I guess the moral here is each to his own judgment, what you feel you can handle while traveling and how big of a risk you want to take...

It's all food for thought, I guess..... :blink:

I have a second leg for sports/water and it was not covered by insurance. I bought the foot myself off eBay!! :biggrin: I have seen knee's on there as well so if your ok with used equipment you may be able to save your self a few $. I used my old socket so its not exactly perfect but it works for housework/yard-work, biking and anything water. Good Luck.

I agree with Jason about ebay. You can get some real bargains there. Check it out. I bought my pegleg walker on ebay for $195 instead of retail of $360. I had it the next day because I paid the seller for overnight post.

I would buy a hydraulic knee for a back up. You already have one c-leg which will become a back up if you get a new one. A mauch knee would also come in handy if you want to participate in anything around water. I know some AKs who prefer a hydraulic knee to c-legs anyway. Get a Ferrier coupler in order to change from one set up to the other more easily.

I agree with Jason about ebay. You can get some real bargains there. Check it out. I bought my pegleg walker on ebay for $195 instead of retail of $360. I had it the next day because I paid the seller for overnight post.

I would buy a hydraulic knee for a back up. You already have one c-leg which will become a back up if you get a new one. A mauch knee would also come in handy if you want to participate in anything around water. I know some AKs who prefer a hydraulic knee to c-legs anyway. Get a Ferrier coupler in order to change from one set up to the other more easily.

Yes, Neal I read up on the Ferrier coupler. I also have a double wall elevated vacuum socket, so that's kind of what I do when skiing. I push the button , off with the C-leg and put the xT9 ski leg on. I guess I could just have another outer part of the socket made of the double wall. I just like the idea of having a Mauch around, to your point many folks swear by them as there everyday knee. I would like to have the ability to adjust my own knee settings.

More than anything I just want a back-up so I am not grounded if you know what I mean.

Thanks all for your kind replies as always!

Here's the final scoop:

My C-leg is on a 3 week vacation in Minneapolis getting fixed. I have a loaner C-leg for the time being but was without a leg for 4 days, Not good!

I will be fit with the Plie 2 Freedom Innovations MPC knee and will trial a new Freedom foot, not out yet, and a Bioquest P3.

I have a feeling that the C-leg may just become my back-up. I am a larger individual and will get much more out of a taller more energy storing foot. The C-Leg just is too much of a hassle for me in regards to service and feet assortments. It's a great knee, they just need better service and a shorter knee.

We will see how it all works out.