Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
leroy22

knee walker

Does anyone know which knee walker is the best to use, the kind with a U style handle with fixed wheels or the kind with a bike style handle bar with turning capability. im a BK amputee and not sure if it would do me any good either. any amputee imput would be great.

Does anyone know which knee walker is the best to use, the kind with a U style handle with fixed wheels or the kind with a bike style handle bar with turning capability. im a BK amputee and not sure if it would do me any good either. any amputee imput would be great.

Leroy, Maybe Neal will check in...I think he bought one {don't know which one}. :smile:

I don't own a knee walker, but I've tried one of the "bike-style" ones. If I had the budget for an extra "toy," I would purchase one in an instant! However, I do think it's really just a "toy" for my situation.

I would recommend that, whatever you decide to do, go for something with wheels that turn...as I've learned with other "tools" in my life, it takes a lot of energy (and space) to turn a device with fixed wheels!

The contraption I bought is a knee walker, but one that is more of a pegleg.

I tried a client's rolling knee walker with turning wheels. It was easy to use, but it won't turn on a dime. It has a very wide turning radius. I barely got it turned around in our shop.

Though I haven't tried the fixed wheel version, I would have to agree with Cheryl that turning wheels make more sense.

Thank yall for the replies to my question abought the knee walker. I will take it in and try to figure out if its what i could use. Im thinking that with my leg off and getting far away from it,like if i was in walmart or something, i would feel kinda stranded if something happened to the walker or what ever. Also im not sure if i would loose what ballance i get from my leg. I have fallen and the first thing i did was put my leg out to stop me and landed rite on the end of my stump, the pain is unexplaiable. i do hate wearing my leg so thats why im looking into the walker.anyway thanks to all for the help.

leroy

there is a better one that is a lot cheaper. It is my invention pm me and I will tell you about it.

I tried a client's rolling knee walker with turning wheels. It was easy to use, but it won't turn on a dime. It has a very wide turning radius. I barely got it turned around in our shop.

Though I haven't tried the fixed wheel version, I would have to agree with Cheryl that turning wheels make more sense.

Here are a couple of pics

post-1470-0-75746800-1296911230_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-83039700-1296911252_thumb.jp

Here are a couple of pics

How quick does it take to put it on??

Same question from me, Neal...that looks pretty cool for an "emergency" type of device!

And I've used Judy's device as well...if it's not undergone any major updates in the last couple of years, that is. It's quite good for getting around at shorter distances (I've never tried it going longer distances), and it is quite inexpensive if you already have a walking frame.

There is a real need for some "cheap get-around devices" for those of us who may find ourselves having to be without a leg and the inability to use crutches.

Thank yall for the replies to my question abought the knee walker. I will take it in and try to figure out if its what i could use. Im thinking that with my leg off and getting far away from it,like if i was in walmart or something, i would feel kinda stranded if something happened to the walker or what ever. Also im not sure if i would loose what ballance i get from my leg. I have fallen and the first thing i did was put my leg out to stop me and landed rite on the end of my stump, the pain is unexplaiable. i do hate wearing my leg so thats why im looking into the walker.anyway thanks to all for the help.

leroy

This may not be of interest to you but my invention is a sling that hangs in a walker you put your knee in the sling and you have complete mobility. I invented it when I ran into a hotel room that was supposed to be handicapped accessible and wasn't. My wheelchair would not go thru the bathroom door. With it I could go out the door to the car, fold the walker and pull it across into the car. I can go to the store, pump gas and it travels beautifully. It is great at night when you need to use the restroom.

It only takes a minute to put it on. It is a little heavy, but very sturdy. I guess the only part that bothered me was the hip action it took to use it. I just wasn't used to that and it turned out to be exhausting. A friend of mine uses one by choice on the weekends. Not me. Please don't take my prosthetic leg away from me. I won't get rid of it because of the future possibility of needing it, but it now resides in an upstairs closet. I was able to drive my full-sized van with it on, but it wouldn't fit under the dash of most cars. You'd have to take it off.

It only takes a minute to put it on. It is a little heavy, but very sturdy. I guess the only part that bothered me was the hip action it took to use it. I just wasn't used to that and it turned out to be exhausting. A friend of mine uses one by choice on the weekends. Not me. Please don't take my prosthetic leg away from me. I won't get rid of it because of the future possibility of needing it, but it now resides in an upstairs closet. I was able to drive my full-sized van with it on, but it wouldn't fit under the dash of most cars. You'd have to take it off.

I use a ROLLERAID Knee Walker every day when I don't have my leg on---and I wear my leg 12-14 hours or more. I used the Rolleraid when I had a totally no weight bearing leg and used it in hospital, at stores, in the State Capital building---and as long as we could get it in the car (minivan) we were good to go. I have even used it to explore and document historic New England Cemeteries. Not what it was made for tho!!! And I am NOT the athletic type. I mostly use it at night now---park it next to the bed and hop on without having to try and stand---I have ZERO balance at any time. I will say that there are a few minor drawbacks. the wheels are fixed and it can be a chore to "back and fill" when you need to turn but that said I use this in a long and narrow bathroom and quickly learned the most effective ways of getting to the "loo" and into and out of the tub---a regular tub with sides. I use a bath chair with the back removed--to me this was too restricting---and I get the Rolleraid right up next to the tub facing away from the tap so my RIGHT SIDE is against the tub---the side with a human leg!--and swing that over and use the crash bars to steady myself. To get out I sit on the edge and make sure the back wheels of the RA are snug to the tub and I grab the handlebars and make sure my right foot is NOT going to slide and up we go. Also a great help to hold onto when getting my leg ON in the AM and also while getting dressed.

To get over obstructions you do need to make sure you are "in the saddle" and pull up on the handlebars a bit---the wheels are made for smooth floors and the outdoors has such things as pebbles, rock salt, grass etc. But this is easy and you won't even know you are doing it soon. It does have brakes and wheel locks which I rarely use. The PT folks think you should have 'em on at EACH transfer but ya know this is unrealistic and how can you even GET TO THEM if you have but one leg????? They do have a front basket and that does come in real handy---in fact I have the laptop perched on it right now!!!!

The "drawbacks"---The seat has a limited built in adjustment and is kinda geared towards taller people. I am 5'2" and had to hack saw the bottom part of the pipe that holds the seat in place off to be able to go out the door and over thresh holds etc but this is minor. And the brakes could use some beefing up if you use a lot of steep roads or ramps, but you do have your other leg to act as a "brake" too. Any bike shop can help you with these. The seat padding is a bit skimpy but the cover zips off and I just added some "memory foam" and it has been fine. The most petty and annoying thing to ME has been the handle bar covers! The ones I got with the thing were shredded---and it was brand new! So I replaced them with reg bike covers, same thing happened cause the bar ends are a wee bit small and they slide---also dangerous in my view for coming off and also if they DO come off you can (and will!!!!) slice your hand. The solution??? Get some TENNIS RACKET TAPE and wind that on. Has a better grip altho not as "cushy" and lasts forever. I was going thru a set of grips ever two weeks or so and have had the tape on for well over a YEAR now. ANd MUCH safer when wet. If you were going to use this a bunch I am sure you could fit some foam or even a bar cover UNDER the tape.

And yeah the wheels DON'T turn. I tried one after I had this and the wheels did "turn" but on some sort of a racking system and I crashed into the doorway trying to turn the damn thing at the showroom. IT was actually much HARDER to turn than the RA!!! And if you turned the wheels too steeply they locked up! I know there are other versions too tho. I saw one the other day being used and asked if it was a turning kind and if the person liked it and in a few seconds worth of convo she did say she liked it but it was a very temp thing til her foot healed. If it were ME I would call around and see who has the best selection of these sorts of things and go try em. And make SURE you try em OUTSIDE, on carpet, turning into/out of normal doors---measure the doors at your house/work and take the measurements WITH YOU to check this if the place is an open space. The good think about this is it is just the same width of my shoulders so I pretty much have an idea of where I can go. I have actually brought this to my CPO office for people to try; perhaps your Leg Guy knows someone who has the kind you want to try and can arrange a test drive?

The RA costs something like (I think!!!) $800 USD retail. I had mine on a rental and my ins co paid something like FOUR TIMES that amount to rent it for me for just a FEW MONTHS!!!! Grr. And we wonder why ins co's don't like to pay for this stuff---finally managed to convince them that this was CHEAPER than me living in an Assisted Living Home for the REST OF MY LIFE cause my house is totally wheelchair inaccessible. So they "bought" it for me. That said the Co that makes it sells REFURBISHED units for a GREAT price and you can sometimes find 'em on eBay or Craigslist for a fraction. I only wish I could fold it up and stash it on the back of my motorcycle!!!! Oh---- the "neck" folds over to help it fit in a car. Think they also make a crutch carrier for the back too. Check the website for into. Friendly people.

Someone clever needs to come up with a design that tuns the wheels with OUT the rack type system--perhaps on the center column? And better tires that actually can go OVER things like rock salt would be a REAL HELP. Ditto walker tires that can do the same!!!!

For more info or if you have a Q contact me.