Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo

Breast cancer --- Sad, sad story...

Yesterday I got an SMS from a friend, letting me know that her mother died last Friday from breast cancer. She had had surgery a couple of years back (she was in her early fifties), but obviously it was too late. One or two decades ago you hardly heard of people with breast amputations, but now almost everybody knows someone with breast cancer which is quite frightening. My grand mother was diagnosed with breast cancer about 7 years ago (at 86)and they took one of the breasts off and fortunately it never returned (according to statistics,if you survive the following 5 years, you have great chances that it will not return..). One of my friends had hers amputated at the age of 40 and just yesterday a friend of mine with whom I had dinner, told me that at exactly the same age it happened to a colleague of hers..

Apart from the deep impact on your soul as a now incomplete woman, there is the constant fear that that was not "it"... Really, really frightening..

Regards,

Gizmo

My mother told me a few days ago that her mammogram showed multiple calsifications in both breasts. She goes to see a surgeon soon. Hopefully the breast biopsy will bring good news.

This stresses the importance of self breast exams every month and mammograms.

When I was an operating room nurse, we did 20-30 breast biopsies a week.

There are bra inserts, that you can not even tell that a breast was removed. Reach for REcovery is a wonderful organization to help deal with breast cancer and the loss of a breast.

Tonya

Breast cancer is an awful, awful disease and I do think more women are aware of checking and early diagnosis. I have lost a few female relatives at young ages from early 40's to early 50's - all of whom battled for a while. Last year I lost a very close friend who was 51. She fought for so long and was determined to see her 2 teenage boys complete school before she had no choice but to give into the disease. My friend Ginny was such a positive woman and every time the doctors gaev her months, she battled on and threw everything she could at it. Unfortunately she had many secondaries and eventually in the liver too. When I think of her it makes me cry - but she battled for 13 years!! Her family have many good and happy memories and her friends too. I now have a cousin who is battling the same problems and she has a 7 year old son who is in school with my 7 year old. I think its true that more women are living with - and surviving, this awful disease, and it can be a testiment to the Female Spirit that they battle so hard. Sorry for waffling...just felt that I needed to add my bit to this debate.

SUE

Hi everybody,

I must thank Tonya for that website Jenny my wife had Breast Cancer last year and had a mastectomy although l've had both my legs off bk Jennys problem just completly knocked me over thank's once again Tonya,

Keith & Jenny