Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Higgy

2011 ACA Conference, Kansas City, MO.

Do you plan on attending this years conference?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on attending this years conference?

• Yes
    • No

To those of you who have been waiting patiently, I wanted to let you know that they are hoping to update the Amputee Coalition website sometime next week with the conference information for the 2011 conference in Kansas City, Missouri June 1-5th.

Hopefully, they will put the information up on the website then for the hotel reservations.

If you are wanting to go ahead and register for the conference before the information hits the website, you may do so by calling Karilyn Klipple at the ACA office 888-267-5669 and she will take care of getting you registered.

Unfortunately Tammie, that is mostly 2010 information. They haven't updated the information yet.

It's like one-thirds/two-thirds at this point...it's the 2011 registration form, but the other items are still from 2010.

I'm going to be getting my taxes done next Friday, and I'm hoping that's going to allow me to get to the conference this year......think good thoughts for me, gang!

Am going to try to find out tomorrow when my granddaughters' dance recital is. It's always in June. If it's not the ACA dates, I will be making my reservation also. It's been TOO long!

I've made my reservations too, and am hoping to entice an old midwestern amp friend to come to her first ACA conference in years. I think she will be tickled by the increased upper limb content ... when she came back from attending the conference 10+ years ago, she said that she loved the people she met, but there wasn't anything there for her. I attended for the first time in 2007, and I always get a lot out of both the programs and the people.

The conference has changed some over the years. Mostly for the good I hope. Higgy and I are on the planning committee. If there is anything that you think is needed, let one of us know. We can address the rest of the committee. We aren't really in charge of who speaks, or who exhibits, etc, more about the total experience of the conference. How to make it more enjoyable and informative for everyone.

Time for a reminder about the conference.

Have you registered for the conference with the Amputee Coalition?

Have you reserved your room?

Have you planned your trip to Kansas City?

Do you have problems with your current limb?

Would you like to find out what you're capable of as an amputee?

Would you like to meet/talk with others in your situation?

Would you like to meet some of these faceless people on the forum?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should be in Kansas City June 2-5. Their will be plenty of things to do and learn. The exhibit hall is always a popular place. Exhibitors consist of prosthetic manufacturers, such as feet, knees and other components. You will also find prosthetists, athletes and others with items designed to make your life easier or more fun. You can be shown alternatives to your current prosthesis that might be better for you. Some of our legmen get in a rut and simply make the same leg for all patients. I don't mean to step on any toes, but this is the truth of some legmen. We, as amputees, need to be better educated in the alternate systems available to us. You can find all of this in the exhibit hall

There are also sessions centered around your particular amputation. Sessions are also available for new technology and other issues we face daily as amputees.

You can also have your gait checked. Physical therapists are on hand to advise you on what you might do to make your gait better. You can also attend the very popular Ossur Mobility clinic. This is where Dr. Bob Gaily will work with you on your gait as well as teaching you how to achieve better balance and he will also teach you how to run. I must insert here that the day he taught me how to break into a full run was one of the happiest days in my life. Do I run regularly? No, but knowing that I could made me a happy man.

There are quiet areas where you can meet new and old friends. I have made some of the best, lifetime friendships with people I met at the conferences. The only shame is that we live so far from each other geographically that meeting once a year for a few days isn't enough.

The Amputee Coalition tries their best to cover all aspects of amputeeism. We listen to what is said and suggested by those who attend. We try to make all subsequent conferences better than the year before. I know we answer many questions from amputees, albeit from around the world, that would be well served if they attended at least one conference. We even welcome international amputees. Just ask Cat who is from Australia. Cat and Ruth attended our conference in Minneapolis in 2006. We usually have aome amputees attending from outside the US.

Do yourself a favor and make this happen. You deserve to know everything about being an amputee. Besides, I'D LIKE TO MEET YOU!!!! The Heather Mills group usually tries to get together for lunch, dinner or just a drink during the conference.

See you in Kansas City!!!!

Neal

I was interested by conference. I would like to know

1. How many there is a participation in conference?

2. Whether there is there a hotel and how many there is a residing a day?

3. Where there is an airport nearby?

4. Whether there are translators from Russian and how many there is a translation service?

ACA Conference Home Page

Tonya, the above is the link to the information about the conference. You can probably find everything you need to know there (except for availability of Russian language translators...you may need to ask someone at the hotel about that one).

The ACA conference is a great experience! Just being someplace where amputees are in the majority and you just "fit in" is amazing, to say nothing of all the information that's available in one place. I'm hoping to attend again this year...I'm really close to working out the details.

I hope to be seeing everyone there!

ACA Conference Home Page

Tonya, the above is the link to the information about the conference. You can probably find everything you need to know there (except for availability of Russian language translators...you may need to ask someone at the hotel about that one).

The ACA conference is a great experience! Just being someplace where amputees are in the majority and you just "fit in" is amazing, to say nothing of all the information that's available in one place. I'm hoping to attend again this year...I'm really close to working out the details.

I hope to be seeing everyone there!

Hi .cherylm Thanks big for the answer. I have seen the site specified by you, only because of bad knowledge of English language it was difficult to me to find answers to questions interesting me. But I have written the letter to employee Kerilin which can answer only on Monday on March, 28th.

Tonya, I hope you get the information you need. I am amazed at how well you communicate in English!

I'm not very good at foreign languages and I know very, very few words in Russian at all. I'm not proud of that, and I wish that we had more foreign language classes when I was in school!

Glad to hear it, Johnny! I'm getting REALLY close to being able to make arrangements myself............hope I'll be posting my confirmation here in the next day or two!

Tonya, I hope you get the information you need. I am amazed at how well you communicate in English!

I'm not very good at foreign languages and I know very, very few words in Russian at all. I'm not proud of that, and I wish that we had more foreign language classes when I was in school!

Thanks cherylm , I am flattered by your response about my English, but I should admit that the most part to me is translated by the computer.

:biggrin: I'm on my way to Kansas City! :biggrin:

Finances and schedules have all worked out for a change...I'll miss the first part of the activities on June 2, but should be there by the afternoon and the reception that evening.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone!

:biggrin: I'm on my way to Kansas City! :biggrin:

Finances and schedules have all worked out for a change...I'll miss the first part of the activities on June 2, but should be there by the afternoon and the reception that evening.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone!

That is great Cheryl! :biggrin:

Great Cheryl. It's been too long since we've seen you.

'Neal' do not forget the pictures, please....love seeing everyone! :happy: