Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Higgy

2011 ACA Conference, Kansas City, MO.

Do you plan on attending this years conference?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on attending this years conference?

• Yes
    • No

Great Cheryl. It's been too long since we've seen you.

'Neal' do not forget the pictures, please....love seeing everyone! :happy:

You wouldn't need pictures if you were there Ann.

:biggrin: I'm on my way to Kansas City! :biggrin:

Finances and schedules have all worked out for a change...I'll miss the first part of the activities on June 2, but should be there by the afternoon and the reception that evening.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone!

Nice to see you there Cheryl...... glad you can make it this year!!!

Have you gotten your hotel reservations made yet?

Great Cheryl. It's been too long since we've seen you.

'Neal' do not forget the pictures, please....love seeing everyone! :happy:

You wouldn't need pictures if you were there Ann.

How right he is... The hotel is pet friendly, I believe, so even Tootsie could come with you..

Tammie, I've made a hotel reservation (for a single King room), but am also casting about for a possible roommate, if anyone's still looking........

Will Jon be coming this year??

The one I'm still waiting on is my plane ticket...actually need to have my tax refund in hand for that one, but it should be along soon!

Cheryl, have you checked the Amputee Coalition website to see what airline discounts are being given? Depending on what airline you use, you might find one there. Any of them would help defray some of the cost. It's worth a look see while you are waiting on your refund. :smile:

Yeah, I've been checking around, both with the airlines listed on the ACA site and some others. (My personal favorite airline, unfortunately, does not fly into KC.) It looks like there are still some pretty good fares available, so I hope my refund arrives sooner rather than later!

Glad to hear that Jon's planning on coming...I'm looking forward to seeing you both again!

Time for a reminder about the conference.

Have you registered for the conference with the Amputee Coalition?

Have you reserved your room?

Have you planned your trip to Kansas City?

Do you have problems with your current limb?

Would you like to find out what you're capable of as an amputee?

Would you like to meet/talk with others in your situation?

Would you like to meet some of these faceless people on the forum?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should be in Kansas City June 2-5. Their will be plenty of things to do and learn. The exhibit hall is always a popular place. Exhibitors consist of prosthetic manufacturers, such as feet, knees and other components. You will also find prosthetists, athletes and others with items designed to make your life easier or more fun. You can be shown alternatives to your current prosthesis that might be better for you. Some of our legmen get in a rut and simply make the same leg for all patients. I don't mean to step on any toes, but this is the truth of some legmen. We, as amputees, need to be better educated in the alternate systems available to us. You can find all of this in the exhibit hall

There are also sessions centered around your particular amputation. Sessions are also available for new technology and other issues we face daily as amputees.

You can also have your gait checked. Physical therapists are on hand to advise you on what you might do to make your gait better. You can also attend the very popular Ossur Mobility clinic. This is where Dr. Bob Gaily will work with you on your gait as well as teaching you how to achieve better balance and he will also teach you how to run. I must insert here that the day he taught me how to break into a full run was one of the happiest days in my life. Do I run regularly? No, but knowing that I could made me a happy man.

There are quiet areas where you can meet new and old friends. I have made some of the best, lifetime friendships with people I met at the conferences. The only shame is that we live so far from each other geographically that meeting once a year for a few days isn't enough.

The Amputee Coalition tries their best to cover all aspects of amputeeism. We listen to what is said and suggested by those who attend. We try to make all subsequent conferences better than the year before. I know we answer many questions from amputees, albeit from around the world, that would be well served if they attended at least one conference. We even welcome international amputees. Just ask Cat who is from Australia. Cat and Ruth attended our conference in Minneapolis in 2006. We usually have aome amputees attending from outside the US.

Do yourself a favor and make this happen. You deserve to know everything about being an amputee. Besides, I'D LIKE TO MEET YOU!!!! The Heather Mills group usually tries to get together for lunch, dinner or just a drink during the conference.

See you in Kansas City!!!!

Neal

Neal, I just saw you give a presentation on going to the Convention...now by dings I can't find it...would you tell me where you did it. You were sitting by some concrete pillers.

:rolleyes:

Thanks Higgy....there was an address on here but it went to another website. :rolleyes:

Thanks for supplying the link Tammie. It was filmed outside the hotel in Irvine, CA while attending last summer's conference in California.

Thanks for supplying the link Tammie. It was filmed outside the hotel in Irvine, CA while attending last summer's conference in California.

You certainly did a geat job!!!

No problem, my friend...

:laugh:

Updates from the Amputee Coalition

April 1, 2011

Our 25th Anniversary premier event is less than 2 months away! Please join us June 2-4, 2011* at the Westin Crown Center in Kansas City, MO for the Amputee Coalition National Conference. To learn more, register or reserve your room click here

Support Group Alert! Don't miss the opportunity to be part of the first National Limb Loss Awareness Month – April 2011. Call Kim Henshaw at 888/267-5669, ext. 8143 to find out how your group can participate and the free marketing and materials the Amputee Coalition can provide.

To learn more about these updates and the latest information on our 25th Anniversary Celebration, visit our Web site often at www.amputee-coalition.org or call toll free, 888/267-5669

I'm registered and have a room reservation. Only thing left is flight. See you Kansas City! :smile:

I'm registered and have a room reservation. Only thing left is flight. See you Kansas City! :smile:

Happy days are here again!!!!

Hooray! See you there, Marcia!

Y'all just made my day. It's nice to be missed!

We'll all get together when we see Marcia to sing "Hallelujah"

It will be great to catch up with you.

I'll be looking forward to that one!

Well, maybe :laugh:the singing might depend on if it is before, during or after drinks.... :laugh:

It'll be good before. It'll be great during. After, who cares?? :blink: