Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kaneo

Prosthetic Cover

Hey All,

I am off to Phoenix for 10 days in a week with some friends. As I live in Canada and winter is here, I haven't encountered the below issue yet.

I will be spending 5 days outdoors in very dusty conditions and of course want to prevent my foot, socket, and other components from getting excessively dirty. I was hoping some of you have made covers out of maybe a neoprene or other type of elastic type of material. I basically want this to extend from my foot/footshell up to mid-scoket. Any ideas on materials, securing the cover, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kane

hello, im assuming you dont have "fake" skin over your leg? either way, go to the womens sock dept in a dept store. there are long socks, stocking, etc which should work , many colors too

I see that you are BK so you don't need to worry about your knee. I'm also BK and I've had my leg in oceans and sand. It all comes apart and cleans quite easily. Your footshell will come off to empty all the sand and dirt. All other components should be titanium or stainless except the set screws. I wash everything down after use and apply a little WD-40 on the screws to keep them from rusting.

You're young. Get out there and have some fun without worrying about your leg.

Thanks for the replies. It is my OCD and general cleanliness that causes anxiety when getting dirty :)

I do not have "skin" cover thing as I don't believe in hiding something that is obvious regardless (if I was a female and wanted to wear a dress that would be a different story!)

Thanks for the tips. I have never removed my footshell. Any tips on how to do it correctly!

I don't know which foot you have. Some might be harder or more impossible than others. I've done it on two of my three feet. I don't think I've ever tried it on my Bioquest foot. I just try to keep it clean. Nothing will keep lint and dust out of the footshell. Before I ever got the foot into sand and dirt my legman would take the foot apart to replace the kevlar sock. It would be filthy in there.

If you pull downward really hard on the back of the footshell it will pop off the carbon fiber foot. You can then wash and clean all internal parts. To get it back on is the hard part. You either need a metal shoehorn or push the foot into the shell as far as you can. Beat on it, blow on it and push a little more until the shell will come over the heel and snap into place. I usually have to take a step or two to make sure it is snapped into place.

A metal shoehorn is the nicest thing I've acquired since losing my leg. A nice lady from College Park who was manning an exhibitor booth at an ACA conference sent me one at no charge just because I'm so awesome and had commented how nice one would be to get the shoe on a prosthetic foot. I use it daily. It is of heavy duty metal, long enough for any shoe and will probably last a lifetime. One of my legmen told me they can get them, but don't give them to every patient. Ask yours if he can get you one. I've never seen anything like them for sale. They beat the plastic versions or the short metal ones that we're used to seeing.

I don't know which foot you have. Some might be harder or more impossible than others. I've done it on two of my three feet. I don't think I've ever tried it on my Bioquest foot. I just try to keep it clean. Nothing will keep lint and dust out of the footshell. Before I ever got the foot into sand and dirt my legman would take the foot apart to replace the kevlar sock. It would be filthy in there.

If you pull downward really hard on the back of the footshell it will pop off the carbon fiber foot. You can then wash and clean all internal parts. To get it back on is the hard part. You either need a metal shoehorn or push the foot into the shell as far as you can. Beat on it, blow on it and push a little more until the shell will come over the heel and snap into place. I usually have to take a step or two to make sure it is snapped into place.

A metal shoehorn is the nicest thing I've acquired since losing my leg. A nice lady from College Park who was manning an exhibitor booth at an ACA conference sent me one at no charge just because I'm so awesome and had commented how nice one would be to get the shoe on a prosthetic foot. I use it daily. It is of heavy duty metal, long enough for any shoe and will probably last a lifetime. One of my legmen told me they can get them, but don't give them to every patient. Ask yours if he can get you one. I've never seen anything like them for sale. They beat the plastic versions or the short metal ones that we're used to seeing.

http://www.weatherconnection.com/product.asp?itmky=285122&s=froogle

Hey Chris. That's a good price. Mine looks heavier, but much shorter. That would beat the cheap, plastic ones that you see so much today. The one I have was made for getting the footshell over the foot.