Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

I am being fit with a Rheo Knee next week as a trial. I would like to know if you don't mind, what your thoughts are on the knee. From those of you who have actually used one.

Thank you very much

Kirk Billingsley

Wi

I haven't used one (mainly as I am a BK) but I am also a prosthetist and we were demonstrated it by Ossur. It looks like a fantastic piece of kit. If you are fit and active I believe it to be the superior product to the C-Leg. It doesn't offer any of the stability of a C-Leg, but it was designed to do that. The guy that came to demo for us could throw it around really well, had full confidence in the knee when weight bearing and it allowed him excellent movement, including running. He was an excellent user however and has been wearing Rheos right from the off, I would imagine it takes a lot of training to get to that level, it definitely isn't a bolt on and off you go job. As long as it doesn't break down as much as the old Rheo then it will be a great product, if I was an AK I would want one.

I am being fit with a Rheo Knee next week as a trial. I would like to know if you don't mind, what your thoughts are on the knee. From those of you who have actually used one.

Thank you very much

Kirk Billingsley

Wi

Thanks for the info sir!

Kirk

Been on a Rheo for a year and a half. Love it, was on a total knee which I hated. The Microprocessor works so well, I haven't fallen since I have been on it. Is a pain to plug in every night, and CAN NOT get it wet at all. Im just got fitted of a water leg, so hope this gets me around that a little. One other thing it is very heavy. I went with it due to it is much shorter then a c leg, and could fit a rotator and a shock absorber under it. With the cleg leg due to Im a long AK, none of these would fit.

Jim

Thanks for the info sir!

Kirk

Been on a Rheo for a year and a half. Love it, was on a total knee which I hated. The Microprocessor works so well, I haven't fallen since I have been on it. Is a pain to plug in every night, and CAN NOT get it wet at all. Im just got fitted of a water leg, so hope this gets me around that a little. One other thing it is very heavy. I went with it due to it is much shorter then a c leg, and could fit a rotator and a shock absorber under it. With the cleg leg due to Im a long AK, none of these would fit.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I most certainly will not get it wet. Do you have the Rheo 1 or the Rheo 2.

Thanks again

Thanks for the info sir!

Kirk

Jim

Thanks Jim, I most certainly will not get it wet. Do you have the Rheo 1 or the Rheo 2.

Thanks again

Rheo 2, it is a little lighter then a 1 and smaller.

I'm sorry to thread-jack, but I just got casted for my first real socket (using a cast right now) and I'm going to have to make a decision about a leg soon. My prosthetist recommended a Rheo, but when I look on Ossur's web site I see that it's only rated for a moderate impact level as compared to, say, the Mauch Knee which is rated for sports-type impact. Do you know much about what type of activity the Rheo or Rheo 2 can handle?

I'm sorry to thread-jack, but I just got casted for my first real socket (using a cast right now) and I'm going to have to make a decision about a leg soon. My prosthetist recommended a Rheo, but when I look on Ossur's web site I see that it's only rated for a moderate impact level as compared to, say, the Mauch Knee which is rated for sports-type impact. Do you know much about what type of activity the Rheo or Rheo 2 can handle?

I know they don't run with it, due to the impact it would have to take. Void's the warranty Im told.

]I know they don't run with it, due to the impact it would have to take. Void's the warranty Im told.

That's interesting, Ossur (UK) tried to sell me the original Rheo telling me that one of its advantages over the C-Leg was that you COULD run with it. Why would they have taken that feature away from the product when they upgraded it? I don't doubt what you're saying I'm just amazed that they would effectively make a product less capable than its predecessor.

]I know they don't run with it, due to the impact it would have to take. Void's the warranty Im told.

That's interesting, Ossur (UK) tried to sell me the original Rheo telling me that one of its advantages over the C-Leg was that you COULD run with it. Why would they have taken that feature away from the product when they upgraded it? I don't doubt what you're saying I'm just amazed that they would effectively make a product less capable than its predecessor.

On the Ossur site.

This warranty does not apply if this product (1) was not purchased from Össur or its authorized dealer, (2) has been altered in a way, or (3) has not been used in accordance with Össur’s Instructions for Use (IFU).

http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=6963

A quote from the Instructions for use manual for the Rheo Knee

LOW TO MODERATE IMPACT ONLY.

• Community and workplace ambulators with ability or potential for cadence variation and ramp/stair descent.

• Example: shopping, gardening, longer walks, golfing