Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
firstborn

Female Amputees

Hello girls! Question: Do you feel comfortable in dresses? I am not yet an amputee, but I have a disfigured foot after trying to save my foot. I am extremely weary of wearing dresses and having my foot exposed. I wonder how I would react to having a prosthetic. I would hope I would be ok with it that I wont want to hide it. I thought maybe stockings would make it less noticeable. Self image is something I worry about even before I got hurt.

Yeah, I'm fine with wearing dresses...and shorts...and swim suits...and anything else I might want to wear. My everyday prosthesis has a quite decent-looking cosmetic cover, which is something I didn't really care about until I thought about going into meetings at work or heading out to a "fancy" social occasion. My leg guys were actually the ones who insisted on the cosmesis, possibly just because I'm female.

At any rate, I'm usually glad I have the covering when I'm doing something "formal"...and I really don't care one way or the other when I'm doing more everyday things. My swim leg, for example, is uncovered, VERY basic and most definitely "prosthesis-looking"...but it's fine for being in the water, and I wore the whole set-up as my "fill-in" leg when we were building my last regular prosthesis.

Seriously, if you don't feel like drawing attention to your current foot, it's really not a problem if you want to wear a cosmetic cover on a future prosthesis...there are some good-looking ones out there. There are even feet that can be adjusted to allow for various heel heights. The important thing is that you are able to function well AND feel comfortable with your appearance.

Hello girls! Question: Do you feel comfortable in dresses? I am not yet an amputee, but I have a disfigured foot after trying to save my foot. I am extremely weary of wearing dresses and having my foot exposed. I wonder how I would react to having a prosthetic. I would hope I would be ok with it that I wont want to hide it. I thought maybe stockings would make it less noticeable. Self image is something I worry about even before I got hurt.

I am a double below knee amp, and also have a cosmesis over my prostheses, mine is foam and standard NHS (UK) and I also use sleeve to hold the prostheses on which comes mid calf area. On mine you can see a slight ridge where the foot joins the ankle, but its not major and imagine a lot will depend on the type of foot you use, cosmesis and perhaps shoes. The NHS supplies me with kind of knee high stockings to cover the foam, and I cover these with my own either knee highs, or tights to get a matching colour. Having said that, I do mainly wear trousers, though sometimes wear skirts/dresses or even longish shorts, I know there has been discussion on this on this forum before about cosmesis or no cosmesis and think its all down to individual preference really, I am quite comfortable with my legs, but think probably my preference for the cosmesis etc., comes from my early years of wearing prosthetics many years back when the then prosthetics were pretty obvious and society very different, not at all like things are now, and I become more recognized by the 'legs' than as 'me' which is quite difficult for a teenager, so nowadays much prefer to just blend in really.

Hi Jenn,

I have seen real life looking prosthetic legs. It's amazing what they have out now a days. Hangars....the prosthetic place I go to, have told me about this dream skin they have now, and they can match your skin. I am going to be seeing my prosthetist and he will show me what it is. I would love to have a prosthetic like that for the summer. Probably won't happen for a while yet, as I am not a bk amp. yet.

Mary

When it comes to covered prosthetics or prosthetics showing it really is a matter of choice. For me, I could care less. My first definitive prosthesis was covered and by the time I got home from the prosthetist's office, I was ready to have it removed. I didn't like the way it dragged inside of the pant leg. As for skirts or dresses.. if they see me in shorts or a swim suit or a dress, it is all the same. As long as I was reasonably well and have a good leg day, that's all that matters to me. It really is up to each person and how they feel about their bodies..I have found, that if people are noticing and they are going to ask, they will do it anyway....I hope that for you, it will be an easy choice..