Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
barbklim

sweating in liner

Hi, I am returning to this forum after a long absence. I am RBKA for 5 years. Recently, while in the process of getting a new prosthesis (same liner, same setup), I have developed excessive sweating in my liner. I am now 60 and I suppose it could be menopause-related, although I am not noticing an increase in sweating elsewhere. What solutions have worked for this problem? THanks for your comments.

Hi, I am returning to this forum after a long absence. I am RBKA for 5 years. Recently, while in the process of getting a new prosthesis (same liner, same setup), I have developed excessive sweating in my liner. I am now 60 and I suppose it could be menopause-related, although I am not noticing an increase in sweating elsewhere. What solutions have worked for this problem? THanks for your comments.

Is the liner and socket fitting ok, I have found I sweat more when its a bit loose.

I am also below knee and what I do is carry some kitchen towel around with me, and just take the leg & liner off when its sweaty and dry it and my leg off.

Is the liner and socket fitting ok, I have found I sweat more when its a bit loose.

I am also below knee and what I do is carry some kitchen towel around with me, and just take the leg & liner off when its sweaty and dry it and my leg off.

We are working on fine-tuning the fit, but it appears that the problem goes beyond fit. I get major slippage of the line after a few minutes of walking. There is no way I can take the log off frequently enough to conquer the problem as it is now. I think I need wither a topical application or a drug to address the problem and I am looking for guidance on this.

We are working on fine-tuning the fit, but it appears that the problem goes beyond fit. I get major slippage of the line after a few minutes of walking. There is no way I can take the log off frequently enough to conquer the problem as it is now. I think I need wither a topical application or a drug to address the problem and I am looking for guidance on this.

There are heavy duty anti perspirants on the market, which I use occassionally, but not keen on due to their chemical content and I find they make my leg spotty which causes other problems.

What type of liner are you wearing? what type of sleeve are you using also? I use a urethane liner but silicon sleeves, I find the sleeves have to really fit quite tight and sometimes find they get sweatier than the liner, and then let air in, often notice them sometimes slipping before the liner .... if that makes sense.

No suggestions, I'm afraid...but I'm interested in what you finally find out and how you solve the problem. It sounds so very much like what I went through during my first year as an amp, and I was so happy when the perspiration stream stopped! It must be terribly frustrating to have it come back for you!

Has your weather or climate changed radically? I can still get "sweaty and slippy" if I'm doing something very active in very hot and humid weather...and, of course, if there's fit problem.................

I hope you can find a solution!

I got a message from K31Scout, but my reply failed for some reason. K31Scout, you asked if I solved the problem. Not yet, but I have been advised to try taking beta blockers. I am about to try that, and will let you know if it works.

I got a message from K31Scout, but my reply failed for some reason. K31Scout, you asked if I solved the problem. Not yet, but I have been advised to try taking beta blockers. I am about to try that, and will let you know if it works.

Are the beta blockers purely for the sweating with the liner? to be honest that would worry me.

It would concern me too, taking the beta blockers.. Anything that can be done with the least possible amount of drugs is a lot better to me.

When I had a sweating problem, which occassionally comes back every spring for a week or two, I use an anti-perspirant instead. What I have used to get aclimated to the weather, is Certain Dri.. I use the roll on and you use it at night, on clean dry skin... It doesn't bother the liner in the day time, and with use, you can slowly decrease the usage of it to every other day or so.. It worked for me..Usually, I find that in the spring, I eventually get used to the weather and the sweating stops.

I have found that fit issues also cause a lot of sweating issues..

Let us know how things work out.

Barb - are you in a pin system?

Thanks for the reply barbklim. Beta blockers are normally blood pressure drugs and keep the heart from beating too fast. They may have an added benefit that controls sweating. Let us know how they work for you.

I'm still having trouble staying in my current leg. After an hour or less I'm slipping out of it whether I'm sweating or not but it's much worse when I'm sweating. I gained 20lbs and it's better but still no where near the fit of my old leg.

I have no solution and carry a kite/pull sock to get myself back into it when it's really bad. If I'm at work I have to stay in the bathroom until my stump dries enough to pull myself back in and then it never feels the same.

I'm going to drop the extra 20lbs and have a new socket made and not pay for it until it's right. I never had this problem 4 1/2 years ago with my old leg. I know since I hit 56 I'm loosing muscle tone in my stump and maybe thats the reason I'm loosing suction but that was never suggested by my leg guy. All he wanted to do after 2 sockets and 4 liners was to have me wear a "belt" of some kind. He only took one casting of me and that's where the problem lies I think. Anyway, I'll be seeing someone new for the next socket.

'K31Scout'

I would say your leg is too large & needs to be refitted..plus the sweating.

'K31Scout'

I would say your leg is too large & needs to be refitted..plus the sweating.

I agree and am looking at those vacuum sockets with curiosity. I want to keep it simple though. As far as sweating, I've done that for more than 40 years in a leg and this is the first leg I've had such a problem with slippage.

Vacuum is simple. Wouldn't trade it for anything!

Good to hear you love yours Marcia. I'm going to look into them this summer and find a leggist who can build one for me this fall, in my area. So far I've googled up the Otto Bock Harmony system, the Stan Patterson vacuum socket and a VASS vacuum assisted socket.

Barb, From the little I've read they should help in the sweating department by forcing moisture out of the socket. I like the idea of the negative suction and have to read a lot more to totally understand this new to me technology.

Good to hear you love yours Marcia. I'm going to look into them this summer and find a leggist who can build one for me this fall, in my area. So far I've googled up the Otto Bock Harmony system, the Stan Patterson vacuum socket and a VASS vacuum assisted socket.

Barb, From the little I've read they should help in the sweating department by forcing moisture out of the socket. I like the idea of the negative suction and have to read a lot more to totally understand this new to me technology.

Think I would check into Stan Patterson's vacuum socket. That is the one I have and love it.

Good luck :smile:

Hi my name is kevin i am a below knee bi lateral amputee and I have had the sucction fitting legs and I to suffered from excessive sweating and then my doctor gave me something called DRICLOR. when you go to bed I wipe my legs with baby wipes let them dry or dry them then use the DRICLOR its like a roll on and let that dry. In the morning wipe your legs again with the baby wipes and do this for four or five days I think you will be supprised at the results everyone is different the length of time it lasts for me is three or four months before I have to use it again. If your Dr. offers you the spray on version it does not work as good as the roll on.goood luck I hope you get as much relief as I do.Please would you let me know Kevin.