Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Halleycomet

too big socket and no $$$ for new one!!!&#3

I was to my Leg Guy this week and in addressing some "issues" he re-measured my leg and discovered that the measurements are quite a bit SMALLER than the ones we cast the socket I use now with. I have lost some weight---a GOOD thing!--and am planning on doing much more walking now that we can see past the snow banks here.

The question I have is---if we cannot accomodate with socks and "graduated" liners and he feels I NEED a new socket---how do I find out what my insurance will pay and if I cannot afford to pay the difference what can we DO??? I have heard of something like a "foam" that is used for house insulation being put in the socket to "snug it up" has any one had experience with this? I have a below the knee amp and use a locking pin system btw. I also have a dicky half foot on the "good" leg and feel it is best to not change too much at one time to avoid problems with EITHER leg.

Any thoughts????

If there's not too much of a difference in the measurements, it's possible to take up the slack with various "pads" glued into the socket...my early sockets often ended up filled with leather pads glued to the inside while we waited for my insurance to agree that I needed a new socket. A "thicker" liner might also be useful, along with additional thicknesses of socks.

I've just changed prosthetists since my retirement and move to NoCal, and he has some really different ideas on socket fit and stump shaping, so at the moment, I happen to have a large, tapered, wedge of foam -- the same foam that they use to shape my orthotic on my "good" foot -- glued into my socket. It's nearly a half-inch thick up at the socket rim, and it tapers down to nothing as it works its way down inside. It's made my socket more difficult to don...but it's greatly improved my balance and stride, so I'm sticking with it until the whole insurance thing works itself out again.

Do you have someone you can contact to get general information about your prosthetic coverage? You should have access to an outline of your benefits and an explanation of what is necessary to trigger an authorization for a new socket. In my case, I know that there are degrees of changes in measurement and a need for my doctor to certify that a new socket will improve my function. If you get a handle on what would actually be covered, it would give you more of an idea of whether you really have anything to worry about...and some clear information on what you might need to do if there are complications.

Your prosthetist is the best one able to find out about your insurance coverage. Mine knew everything before they were even through with the casting.

My prosthetist came up with a creative solution for me. My socket was too big, but I was continuing to lose weight and did not want to get a new socket too soon. He used some interesting material to solve the problem. I had my liner on and a new sock. He had some stuff that consisted of two materials: a can of brown goo, and some liquid drops. When everything was ready, he put the drops into the can then the stuff foamed up and turned into a thick material that he then slathered onto the sock. When it was thickly covered, I stepped into the socket (which was lined withe plastic), and stood there for about 15 minutes while the stuff gelled up. It became a new interior surface for the socket. Each time we did this, the liner sock lasted for about 3-5 months. It was a great interim solution.

My prosthetist came up with a creative solution for me. My socket was too big, but I was continuing to lose weight and did not want to get a new socket too soon. He used some interesting material to solve the problem. I had my liner on and a new sock. He had some stuff that consisted of two materials: a can of brown goo, and some liquid drops. When everything was ready, he put the drops into the can then the stuff foamed up and turned into a thick material that he then slathered onto the sock. When it was thickly covered, I stepped into the socket (which was lined withe plastic), and stood there for about 15 minutes while the stuff gelled up. It became a new interior surface for the socket. Each time we did this, the liner sock lasted for about 3-5 months. It was a great interim solution.

I've heard of this, but never knew anyone who had it done. This makes perfect sense to me. Sockets are so expensive and we go through them so often in the first few years. See if you can find out what the goo is called. My now deceased legman once mentioned something like this to me. We never had the chance to use it.

Guest bearlover

You could have a liner, you put over the gel liner to help it fit better.