Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Halleycomet

travel ideas-what do you think?

I travel on a motorcycle in the summer months and use a folding "travel walker" and a stick to help me walk. When we stay over night or for a day or so we just get on and go. This means that I have to be praying that I will not have to get up in the night with a sudden (or even not so sudden!!!!) bathroom need. I have digestive issues so this is a BIG worry. So far I have managed by just keeping the liner on and even on a few occasions keeping the leg on---not the solution I want to use but hey it worked.

Now I had the idea to use an OLD liner with OUT the locking pin and put that on at night and use a SLEEVE over this---that would mean I could dash if I needed to with the walker. Just slide into leg and roll up sleeve and GO. When I mentioned this to Leg Guy he about went ballistic---which is VERY unusual for him. He didn't really have any OTHER suggestion tho. I can't take up too much saddle bag "real estate" here and need valid ideas on how to do this and what others are doing. I "get" that Leg Guy is afraid I will do my skin in but for one night? I have fallen asleep with the whole leg on and been fine.

So what do YOU do???????

It's not ideal but for one night it is no different to falling asleep on the couch fully dressed. Take the liner off for a while before bed and ageing on the morning to give your skin a chance to breathe and you'll be fine.

I don't see any difference between this and flying long haul while wearing your leg and I've done that plenty of times leaving me wearing my prosthesis for over 40 hours.

One of the things that you might consider is purchasing a pair of travel crutches to possibly replace the walker...You would have them for the middle of the night trips, if something went haywire and you needed them, they would be there and not limit you like a walker does. Also, with a bike, they would be much easier to pack on. In the top of a saddle bag, on a luggage rack, I'd even put mine on top of the handle bars if needed. That's what we do. There is a bunch of different kinds of travel crutches..